Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can understand the extra puch packed with the DM AWD. And don't really mind the $5k (Canada) add on. But the sucky part is adding the DM would disqualify the car for provincial rebate worth 4k. So my effective cost on adding a DM is $9k CAD. Is it really worth it? Does anyone with a SM model regret not going DM.
I am pretty set on Pilot n Plus packs irrespective of whichbase version I go with.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I test drove both. I bought the SM. I value my licence too much as it’s linked to my career lose the licence I lose my job and there is no way I’ll have the DM and not be tempted to put my foot down.

The SM is not slow and it’s not blistering fast. 7 seconds for 0 to 60 is very decent compared to ICE cars in general (not talking performance cars). I have zero regrets buying the SM and 10 months of ownership the car still puts a smile on my face when I look at it from the window or get into drive to work.

However, you live in Canada where the roads are slush, snow or ice covered for parts of the year in most places, so having an AWD can be safer for you depending on where you live.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I test drove both. I bought the SM. I value my licence too much as it’s linked to my career lose the licence I lose my job and there is no way I’ll have the DM and not be tempted to put my foot down.

The SM is not slow and it’s not blistering fast. 7 seconds for 0 to 60 is very decent compared to ICE cars in general (not talking performance cars). I have zero regrets buying the SM and 10 months of ownership the car still puts a smile on my face when I look at it from the window or get into drive to work.

However, you live in Canada where the roads are slush, snow or ice covered for parts of the year in most places, so having an AWD can be safer for you depending on where you live.
I live in Vancouver where we only have ice/snowy road for maybe 3-5 weeks a year. So I guess it shouldn't be too much of a problem if the tires can handle that.

·
Registered
MY22 Void LRDM P/P/P
316 Posts
We own a DM and had a LRSM as a loaner for three days. Everybody is going to have different opinions regarding this, however for us, the difference between the performance upgraded DM and the LRSM was just too vast, and totaly changed the behaviour of the car. For us, it reinforced our decision to go DM + Performance software upgrade.

Other notes:
  • The single motor very obviously limits power delivery from a standing start and very gradually feeds it in. The DM does slightly limit as well, when compared to something like a Tesla Model 3, but it's very noticeable on the SM.
  • When you do accelerate from a roll, it feels decently quick, so if you aren't used to performance cars, it'll likely be more than acceptable.
  • Powering out of corners in the LRSM definitely feels like it pushes more and almost torque steers. You don't get this feeling at all on the DM.
  • Throttle mapping very noticable jumping between the two cars, though this is purely the performance tune making the difference here rather than DM vs SM, but thought I'd throw it in anyway.
In the end though, my main take-away was just how nice and capable the base spec car is, and nobody would be dissapointed, however, for us, the Plus, Pilot & Performance packs were well worth the money after getting a chance to do thorough back to back testing which you just can't do on a test drive.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
SM > Range
DM > Performance

Work out which one suits your life style and what would give you more enjoyment.

The main problem is that the range is greatly increased but so is the performance.

Any Version > Better looks than most other cars in the price range.

Reactions: elsid

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 Launch edition. Pilot/Plus/Performance, Thunder
49 Posts
The all wheel drive is a big thing a lot of places..... depends on if it's useful where you live beyond the extra power.

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
1,854 Posts
LRSM with Plus pack …. Zero chance, I would pay for the DM AWD extra 10K after taxes. Where I live I cannot really even stretch the SM‘s legs fully without constantly being the fastest car in traffic, attracting cops attention and tickets. No track time nearby, nor interest in drag strip. The saved 10K buys me nice set of winter tires, PPF and keeps 5K in my bank account or other things.

I grew up driving FWD, so I have no issue, even in deep snow, as long as I have nice set of winter tires.

Yeah, I know, I am boring pragmatic guy who doesn’t print money. Oh well … 🤷🏼‍♂️

But, I fully understand that for a someone the extra money is no issue and they prefer AWD over FWD. It’s not often what you need but what you want, right?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like i replied to your thread on Reddit! As a LRSM owner living in Metro Vancouver, I can say that i wish i had the dual motor, but couldn't stomach the $8k after rebate price tag.

• On busy roads trying to merge from a stop, i hesitate to gun it to make the turn
  • dual motor handles better, much more like an electric go-kart (like a tesla)
  • FWD model understeers, especially when you push for more power. (part of the hesitation for turning)
  • SM power is more linear, not a whole lot of power from 0-20 but once going you'll feel more power.. so overtaking on the highway is not an issue

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
1,854 Posts
It really depends … in Vancouver and Toronto, if you can drive well all you need are AS tires. You don’t need AWD. AWD car will not stop faster than FWD with equal tires … tires are more important than AWD, most of the time, I think.

Here, we have white roads in winter … clue … it’s not snow though…😂

·
Registered
LRDM / Plus / Pilot
103 Posts
I went with a DM as I like having the power, and wanted the AWD as well, and my previous car history is similar.

That being said, I only really put the foot down to show off the power when I have someone else in the car that hasn't experienced it. 90% of my driving is just wafting along at a law abiding pace.

Am I glad I got the DM, hell yes, and will probably get the performance upgrade in the not to distant future as well. Do I utilise the performance on offer, no.

I never tested a SM, so can't really compare the two.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had the SM on order for a long time, but ultimately landed on a pre-configured DM. This was MY22 so the difference was about $8k after tax without incentives (difference between the two used to be $7k). It was a battle between my frugal side and my enthusiast side, and the enthusiast side ultimately won. I figured I’m going to have the car for 6 - 8 years, so might as well buy something I’ll enjoy. I thought I’d regret going SM and saving the money more than spending it and getting the DM. After all, spread out over 8 years is only an extra $1k per year and the value of a dollar is rapidly deteriorating 😉 also, I don’t know of many cars where you can get an extra 180hp for $8k!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LRSM with Plus pack …. Zero chance, I would pay for the DM AWD extra 10K after taxes. Where I live I cannot really even stretch the SM‘s legs fully without constantly being the fastest car in traffic, attracting cops attention and tickets. No track time nearby, nor interest in drag strip. The saved 10K buys me nice set of winter tires, PPF and keeps 5K in my bank account or other things.

I grew up driving FWD, so I have no issue, even in deep snow, as long as I have nice set of winter tires.

Yeah, I know, I am boring pragmatic guy who doesn’t print money. Oh well … 🤷🏼‍♂️

But, I fully understand that for a someone the extra money is no issue and they prefer AWD over FWD. It’s not often what you need but what you want, right?
Can totally relate to the thought process. The pragmatist in me has been trying to fight the FOMO on the AWD for over a day. Haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like i replied to your thread on Reddit! As a LRSM owner living in Metro Vancouver, I can say that i wish i had the dual motor, but couldn't stomach the $8k after rebate price tag.

• On busy roads trying to merge from a stop, i hesitate to gun it to make the turn
  • dual motor handles better, much more like an electric go-kart (like a tesla)
  • FWD model understeers, especially when you push for more power. (part of the hesitation for turning)
  • SM power is more linear, not a whole lot of power from 0-20 but once going you'll feel more power.. so overtaking on the highway is not an issue
Ah yes you did. I am in the same boat abt the after rebate difference. I really wanna get the DM but whatever part of senses left in me is refusing to let me overlook the price jump. LOL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the SM on order for a long time, but ultimately landed on a pre-configured DM. This was MY22 so the difference was about $8k after tax without incentives (difference between the two used to be $7k). It was a battle between my frugal side and my enthusiast side, and the enthusiast side ultimately won. I figured I’m going to have the car for 6 - 8 years, so might as well buy something I’ll enjoy. I thought I’d regret going SM and saving the money more than spending it and getting the DM. After all, spread out over 8 years is only an extra $1k per year and the value of a dollar is rapidly deteriorating 😉 also, I don’t know of many cars where you can get an extra 180hp for $8k!
Haha. I am having the same fight between my 2 personas. And I like the 8k over 8 years thought process. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ah yes you did. I am in the same boat abt the after rebate difference. I really wanna get the DM but whatever part of senses left in me is refusing to let me overlook the price jump. LOL.
At $9k i would get the LRSM. Same for my decision to get it because my rebates would be grandfathered in at $8k. Had I ordered today with the new rules, I would get the dual motor. Especially because it’s so much more fun.

·
Registered
2022 Magnesium SRSM, Pilot. ICE Pajero Sport, heavily modified
40 Posts
I have the SRSM and I do regret not getting the DM. While the SRSM is by no means a slouch, having test driven the DM vs the SM they are not comparable. SM suffers torque steer under heavy acceleration from standstill and also wheelspin when even moderate acceleration if it is wet, especially uphill. The push back acceleration is just not there with the SM. I will say that the handling is pretty good, I feel more safe around corners in that car then my 4wd that has awd on tarmac.

Ultimately though, it is a regret I can kind of live with. Here in Australia there is no snow to worry about, I have kept my ICE 4wd as my enthusiast vehicle so it was hard to justify the extra spend. As a city car and highway vehicle that extra speed only comes in handy once in a blue moon. The heart is disappointed but the head knows that I don't really need the DM. If I bought the DM I'd probably regret spending the extra cash. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't

·
Registered
71 Posts
New rules? What do you mean?
BC provincial rebates changed to become income based on Aug 2, 2022. Previously it was a flat $3k for all eligible models, which only the LRSM is. Now it being income based, you could get anything from $1000, $2000 or $4000 depending on your income or family income. That’s why I mention that if you’re getting peanuts due to what you’re eligible, then it’s a moot point thus justifying a dual motor purchase. Either way the car qualifies for federal izev of $5000. Go take a look at cleanbc’s website to see what you would qualify for

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BC provincial rebates changed to become income based on Aug 2, 2022. Previously it was a flat $3k for all eligible models, which only the LRSM is. Now it being income based, you could get anything from $1000, $2000 or $4000 depending on your income or family income. That’s why I mention that if you’re getting peanuts due to what you’re eligible, then it’s a moot point thus justifying a dual motor purchase. Either way the car qualifies for federal izev of $5000. Go take a look at cleanbc’s website to see what you would qualify for
Got it. Will check that out.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts