Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's hard to answer that question without know what you will use the car for. If it's a commuter in the lower mainland, there isn't much point in getting a DM, you'll be crawling in traffic all the time anyways. If you are going to take it for fun drives in the mointains, then maybe the DM would be worth it.

I have a LRSM coming in a few weeks, and for it's planned usage, there was no way we would pay more for the DM. This car will mostly be used around town, some commuting, taking dogs to the park, trips to the garden centre, etc. This will primarily be my wife's car, and she finds my Model 3 way too fast, so much that she set her profile to Chill Mode. To be honest, if the SRSM was available in Canada, we would probably have gotten that, the long range is more than we need.

AWD is definitely not required for winter. I've lived in the Ottawa area for over 40 years, and FWD is perfectly fine with good winter tires. My model 3 is my first AWD car, and it's not really that much better. Sometimes it's worse given that it is rear-biased. I'm pretty certain that the single motor P2 will be better than my AWD Tesla in deep snow simply because of the higher grounf clearance (my Model 3 is the performance with the lower suspension).

·
Registered
46 Posts
BC provincial rebates changed to become income based on Aug 2, 2022. Previously it was a flat $3k for all eligible models, which only the LRSM is. Now it being income based, you could get anything from $1000, $2000 or $4000 depending on your income or family income. That’s why I mention that if you’re getting peanuts due to what you’re eligible, then it’s a moot point thus justifying a dual motor purchase. Either way the car qualifies for federal izev of $5000. Go take a look at cleanbc’s website to see what you would qualify for
You might even get absolutely nothing at higer income levels.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Single motor can't get the cool/light 20 wheels and giant brakes and yellow seatbelts

Getting the cool car without the stuff that actually makes it look cool.... Kinda kills it

I wouldn't have bought the car without performance pack.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a DM and just had a SM Loaner for a 1.5 months. I would say the acceleration in the SM is fine but I would never buy a SM just because the cornering is absolute dog shit compared to the DM. The SM has serious understeer and the wheels like to get wonky if you are turning/accelerating from a stop. None of those issues exist on the DM AWD. Just due to the poor handling of the SM I would never consider it my self as an option; no matter how much cheaper it may be.

·
Registered
MY22 Void LRDM P/P/P
314 Posts
‘23 SM EPA range = 270 miles
‘23 DM EPA range = 260 miles
This was my experience with our LRSM loaner. I was expecting around 15-16 kWh/100kms on the normal school drop off route I run and am very familiar with, but it was getting 18-19, vs 19-20 in the same conditions. If I was generous, I'd say there was at most a 2 kWh/100km difference in efficiency, which is much less than I was expecting, but lines up with those EPA figures.

·
Registered
490 Posts
They are different and it depends what you want to be honest.

I ordered a SMSR having only driven a DMLR, I figured the performance was of marginal benefit to me 99% of the time. When I eventually drove the SMLR I knew I’d made the right choice, it’s much more ‘natural’ in how it behaves rather than a rocket-ship. It does squirm a little if you drop the throttle with a diving boot, especially on damp roads or from low speeds but so long as you don’t drive like a Neanderthal it’s not actually an issue in-use.

10,000 miles in just over 6 months and still delighted.

Reactions: caJon and Icesingh

·
Registered
MY22 LRSM Void,Pilot,Plus
692 Posts
Firstly

I can understand the extra puch packed with the DM AWD. And don't really mind the $5k (Canada) add on. But the sucky part is adding the DM would disqualify the car for provincial rebate worth 4k. So my effective cost on adding a DM is $9k CAD. Is it really worth it? Does anyone with a SM model regret not going DM.
I am pretty set on Pilot n Plus packs irrespective of whichbase version I go with.
I love my LRSM and the reason I went for it is for maximum range. I tow a camper so need all I can get.
Powering out of corners in the LRSM definitely feels like it pushes more and almost torque steers. You don't get this feeling at all on the DM.
On the entrance to the M1 near my house there is about a 300m on ramp on an incline and I have a terrible habit of flooring the car on there ;) And you definitely feel the front end rear up and the steering gets very light. I'm careful only to ever fully floor it on the straight :D
FWD model understeers, especially when you push for more power. (part of the hesitation for turning)
I've not come across any understeer under power. There is one turn I make regularly where it feels like the front wheels slip a little - even driving gently - but honestly I think that is the road not the car.

·
Registered
MY22 Void LRDM P/P/P
314 Posts
I've not come across any understeer under power. There is one turn I make regularly where it feels like the front wheels slip a little - even driving gently - but honestly I think that is the road not the car.
It's very noticeable if you've spent some time in both models back to back. You get a real torque-steeresque tug with any wheel input under power that just doesn't exist in the DM. Though only under power so those without a lead foot would not notice or care 🙂

·
Registered
692 Posts
It's very noticeable if you've spent some time in both models back to back. You get a real torque-steeresque tug with any wheel input under power that just doesn't exist in the DM. Though only under power so those without a lead foot would not notice or care 🙂
Which explains why you are commenting on it 🤣

·
Registered
MY22 Void LRDM P/P/P
314 Posts
Which explains why you are commenting on it 🤣
Got me 😎

That really boils it down though. If you really enjoy driving and have a history of performance cars, the extra for the DM is worth it, even if it equates to an extra $9k. If you just want a nice car that is still brilliant in every other way, you can do a lot worse than an LRSM.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That sounds like understeer.

·
Registered
692 Posts
That sounds like understeer.
Yeah I know what it sounds like but it isn't really in the context of this conversation. It's more the quality of the surface than the performance / grip of the car. I will take other corners significantly quicker with no issues.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's hard to answer that question without know what you will use the car for. If it's a commuter in the lower mainland, there isn't much point in getting a DM, you'll be crawling in traffic all the time anyways. If you are going to take it for fun drives in the mointains, then maybe the DM would be worth it.
You really nailed it! There is no correct answer to this question, and it really depends on the usage of the car for the driver.

I have been driving a SM since May of 2022 and I have no regret. The car is responsive, fast, and smooth to drive. For my purpose (driving around town) and local traffic conditions (heavy traffic during rush hours), I don't think DM will add much difference to my already fantastic driving experience.

Will DM be more responsive and faster than my current SM? Sure. But do I really have a chance to experience them under my driving scenario, probably not.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 Two Motor
227 Posts
They are different and it depends what you want to be honest..
Without knowing you better, this is a hard one to answer. I was in the market for a QUICK performance car, NOT an electric car. All other cars I was looking at were gas ICE

I drive one car all year round, and have ONLY had all-wheel drive cars since my 1984 Audi 4000s Quattro; I literally couldn't get up the hill to my house without it (in winter). But as been pointed out, in snow it goes better, but doesn't stop better. But the "goes better but doesn't stop better" was an improvement over "doesn't go better AND doesn't stop better", so I've been sold ever since.

My wife, on the other hand, doesn't give a hoot about performance, and if the roads are that bad, she isn't going out or will have me drive. Hence the Honda Minivan in my garage.

My final 2-cents worth of opinion is: if you are questioning its value as it relates to actual money cost, then you probably don't need it and wont miss it. That's why I didn't get the leather seats.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For the Vancouver Lower mainland, there really is no need for AWD. it's nice to have, but seldom would you require it during the 2-3 days of snow we get. People rip around in their RWD Tesla Model 3's here like they're champions of the road, and most of them are fine since the rain usually washes away any remnants of snow within a few hours. For the few days where we do get dumps of snow, I buy snow tires and even that people make an argument for in Vancouver as being unnecessary. I'm not sure about previous models, but my MY23 LRSM came with Michelin Primacy 4 summer tires, so winters make sense to me. If you visit the back country a lot, or live in a gigantic property outside of urban limits where the roads aren't plowed often, then it might be worth your while to get AWD.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah I know what it sounds like but it isn't really in the context of this conversation. It's more the quality of the surface than the performance / grip of the car. I will take other corners significantly quicker with no issues.
I hear you but sometimes it's less grippy surfaces that expose these sorts of things. We always used to like to run driver training, which I did in Australia for many years, in the rain for that exact reason.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I suspect many here struggled with the decision. I am very happy with LRSM 3 weeks into owenership. Plenty of power to pass people, pull out into traffic, accelerate out of a corner. I don't drive like I probably did in my 20s and i'm just not THAT guy on the road that has to be first away from every light or weave in and out of traffic to get a couple cars ahead.

I find the car enjoyable to drive, quick when I need it to be, and I have no issues with the handling.

If you don't need AWD, are not planning to go to a track, and don't have a strong desire to race every car next to you I think saving the money could be a good option.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts