Polestar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
What I do is adjust the extent of the rear hatch height….so it doesn’t hit the ski (or other roof mounted boxes). Even with limiting the height opening a bit, it’s still plenty accessible.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Anthing external to the car, such as a roof rack or trailer hitch carrier, etc…increases the cars coefficient of drag. That happens on all cars, not just EV’s. Furthermore, Cd is also dependent on the car’s velocity, so, traveling with a ski box on the roof at low-to-moderate speeds, will have less impact to efficiency, than when you are driving at highway speeds. There are a number of articles that have studied this issue, and if I remember, the increase in the overall Cd can be around 10% (this number can vary depending on a number of things).

The only way not to take this hit is to put the skiis inside the car, through the pass-through.

Interesting factoid: Adding an additional (interior) weight (like passengers or cargo) has very little impact to an EV’s efficiency.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That's because EVs already weigh so much that passengers and cargo are proportionally less of an impact versus an equivalent ICE vehicle.
I suspect which force has the greatest impact depends on the velocity of the car., as well as the driving situation? At highway speeds, the wind resistance on a vehicle can be substantial, whereas at stop and go urban driving, Per Newton’s 1st law…ie, a body at rest will remain at rest unless unless a sufficient force…added weight increases frictional forces that oppose motion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts