Polestar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there's not a lot of snow yet but I did put the winter tyres on last week as I knew I needed to work over the weekend in a ski station. This morning I went for a ski on the local glacier and tried the roof bars for the first time which was disappointing.

The distance between the bars is tiny and barely accommodates my ski bindings. There's also no way I can get the skis on with the tips rearwards and still be able to open the tail in a usuable way. And the stack height of the bars is a bit low, again it barely fits my bindings with any clearance to the roof.

How are people finding ski boxes? does the tail still open? Not the micro short ones but a couple of metres?

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I do is adjust the extent of the rear hatch height….so it doesn’t hit the ski (or other roof mounted boxes). Even with limiting the height opening a bit, it’s still plenty accessible.
that was my problem. There’s no reasonable setting that allows the boot to be opened in a usable way. Depends how long your skis are obviously

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to say: another vaudois checking in!

I bought the roof bars with my P2 but never tried them! Regarding the skies, I found it easier to just carry them inside the car: I fold a rear seat or open the middle section, put a ski carrying bag in place and then put the skies inside it (without closing the carrying bag). It is there just to protect the car's interior from the skies and dirt. Admittedly, I usually go to ski alone; only sometimes with 1 or 2 passengers so there is plenty of space inside.
I would do that in my last car but the PS2 isn't long enough to fit full length skis in or nordic ones for sure. It's pretty clear looking at the Thule website and Galaxus that there's a market for ski carriers for cute little gucci carving skis but not so much for freeride :cool:

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a Calix brand roof box made specifically for Volvo, however they make other models that use the same base with a slightly different upper shell.

Anyway, my skis are 180s, but even when they're in there, there's still a lot more length for even longer skis. The interior length is rated at 211cm.

that sounds perfect and it looks really good in that colour. I didn't think it was Thule. The Swiss volvo website was play up when I tried to look so I'll try another time.

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The color of mine is the same paint color as "Snow" for a Polestar. However, Volvo only offered that roofbox, in that color, as an optional extra for the Ocean Race edition V90 Cross Country, which we also have. Otherwise, Volvo only offers it in black.
I was a bit resistant to having a plastic box on the roof but that looks good. How is it for efficiency? I would leave it on most of the winter I guess, I have ski bars on from November to May usually.

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hard to say exactly how much of a hit to efficiency can be attributed to the box alone, versus colder temps, winter tires, etc., because like you're planning to do, I left the box on all winter. What I can say is that overall the hit to my efficiency against summer driving is around 5-10%.
My guess from this week was the winter conditions plus roof bars were making a difference and the box wouldn’t matter a lot. It’s probably worse on the autoroute, I know a bike rack drags terribly. Driving in the mountains it’s not such a factor from my experience.

I’m pretty sure I’ll get box in the new year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts