Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live within a half hour of the New England Dragway, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Wednesday nights they have "Street Night," $25 for as many runs as you car to try. I did six.

The car is incredibly consistent doing the quarter mile 12.74 and 12.83 seconds crossing the line at 108 mph.

I did three runs, took a half hour break, and did three more. There was no change in results... no improvement or degradation with repeated runs.

For six runs, at about 1.5 miles round trip per run, I used 9% of the battery... I could have done dozens more and still made it home easily.

I only measured 0-60 times a couple of times with a free phone app: got 4.5 seconds.

Analyzing the data with a spreadsheet, the 0-60 times were all about 4.4 seconds.

Bottom line? It's a quick car and it was loads of fun. 'Never felt the least bit squirrely or out of control. It was faster than maybe a third of the cars there. Fast enough that I was required to wear a helmet. I'll be going back for sure.

(I was in the right lane each time and the times here are independent of my rookie reaction times... The times listed are the times you would get if there were 0.000 seconds in reaction time.)

Registered
Fantastic! Sounds like great fun. We are all glad you had the opportunity. Now we know what we could do with the car. I guess we should all be wearing helmets on those on-ramps trips 馃檪

Registered
I wish my wife would let me do this!

Seriously though, sound like loads of fun.

Did you have the Conti SportContact 6鈥檚 on? What was the weather like? Did you get to dust a Civic or a Subaru? Any Tesli there? What was your starting SOC? Did you grow out a mustache and drink PBR between runs?

Registered
PBR - I love it 馃槅. Do they even still make that?
Uhh, yeah鈥

鈥淧abst Blue Ribbon provides an interesting case study in cool. Just a few years ago, the Pabst Brewing Company was in shambles. The watery, 170-year-old beer enjoyed popularity in the 1970s, but the '80s were none too kind to the brew, kicking off a 20-year sales slump. In 1996, Pabst closed its flagship Milwaukee brewery. In 2001, sales dropped to fewer than a million barrels -- 90 percent below its 1975 high.
Then something changed, and PBR was suddenly the hipster's choice at bars and barbecues everywhere. Sales jumped by 20.3 percent in 2009 and continued to rise steadily over the next few years, according to Beer Marketer's Insights. By 2013, Americans drank more than 90 million gallons of PBR, according to data from Euromonitor, which is nearly 200 percent more than they did in 2004.鈥

Registered
Told my husband, after explaining this thread, that if I ever say I'm on a golf outing, I'll really be at the drag strip.

Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
I live within a half hour of the New England Dragway, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Wednesday nights they have "Street Night," $25 for as many runs as you car to try. I did six.

The car is incredibly consistent doing the quarter mile 12.74 and 12.83 seconds crossing the line at 108 mph.

I did three runs, took a half hour break, and did three more. There was no change in results... no improvement or degradation with repeated runs.

For six runs, at about 1.5 miles round trip per run, I used 9% of the battery... I could have done dozens more and still made it home easily.

I only measured 0-60 times a couple of times with a free phone app: got 4.5 seconds.

Analyzing the data with a spreadsheet, the 0-60 times were all about 4.4 seconds.

Bottom line? It's a quick car and it was loads of fun. 'Never felt the least bit squirrely or out of control. It was faster than maybe a third of the cars there. Fast enough that I was required to wear a helmet. I'll be going back for sure.

(I was in the right lane each time and the times here are independent of my rookie reaction times... The times listed are the times you would get if there were 0.000 seconds in reaction time.)

View attachment 5795
Amazing! Kind of jealous!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish my wife would let me do this!

Seriously though, sound like loads of fun.

Did you have the Conti SportContact 6鈥檚 on? What was the weather like? Did you get to dust a Civic or a Subaru? Any Tesli there? What was your starting SOC? Did you grow out a mustache and drink PBR between runs?
Yup. Sport Contacts.

Dry track. Temps in the 80s.

I did dust a couple of cars and would have beaten others, but ICE guys stop and put their hoods up between rides so don't do as many runs.

No Teslas there, though I had to explain to a few that my car wasn't a Tesla. People are proud of their cars and display their brands loudly. They were confused by the lack of identification on my car.

Started at 77%. Ended at 68%.

No mustache though I could use a shave.

I always did like PBR.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh... And this was the fastest I've ever driven a car... About 115 mph. The car coasts beautifully over 100 mph and I was a little late on the brakes a couple of times at the end of the track, lol.

Registered
No Teslas there, though I had to explain to a few that my car wasn't a Tesla. People are proud of their cars and display their brands loudly. They were confused by the lack of identification on my car.
Did you hear the announcer at all?

I drag raced my old 2000 Subaru when it was turbocharged and it was always entertaining hearing the announcer try to figure out what it was. Called it a Mustang once, and I still can't figure out how he got that one.

Good times! I don't think there's a 1\4 track here, might have to hit up the 1\8mi though.

Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
I wonder if the times would be better in "Sport mode" (actually just where it turns the stability and traction control down) as that supposedly allows a bit more slip in the wheels? All looks good fun :)

Registered
Wow, looks like fun! It's really interesting that EVs can effortlessly do this again and again whilst ICEs need to rest between runs.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you hear the announcer at all?
I had hoped that there would have been an announcer, but there was none. (Note to linguists, quite a complicated verb structure there.)

So I had to silently muse about fan confusion.

Reactions: Joel S.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder if the times would be better in "Sport mode" (actually just where it turns the stability and traction control down) as that supposedly allows a bit more slip in the wheels? All looks good fun :)
Runs 5 & 6 had sport mode on. I had predicted slower runs as any wheel slip would have been counterproductive, but there was no discernable difference.

It was great fun.

I'll have to propose some sort of meet-up here. $25 for as many runs as you care to take. A bah-gun!

(Note to international crowd... That's a weak attempt at phonetically reproducing our New England accent.)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, looks like fun! It's really interesting that EVs can effortlessly do this again and again whilst ICEs need to rest between runs.
I'm sure the runs stress the system and likely heat the battery appreciably, but it's obviously much harder on the ICE cars. The ICE cars, btw, are marvels! Superchargers whining, nitrous tanks, exhaust, burn outs to warm the tires for grip, and, of course, noise! Lots of noise.

My friends said, surprisingly, that the runs most fun to watch, were the couple where I ran solo, because it was all so shockingly silent.

Registered
So did you simply floor it each time, or did you lay into in order to keep the tires moving?

I also wonder if a Tesla could handle what you did. I've read where they tend to peter our with repeated battery flogging. (I think it might have been a Taycan vs Model S race comparison).

Registered
Oh... And this was the fastest I've ever driven a car... About 115 mph. The car coasts beautifully over 100 mph and I was a little late on the brakes a couple of times at the end of the track, lol.
I can confirm that it's very stable at 100 ;). But not 115 :D

Registered
I can confirm that it's very stable at 100 ;). But not 115 :D
Wait, ... you have never hit the speed limiter yet?

Reactions: krheinwald

Registered
Wait, ... you have never hit the speed limiter yet?
LOL. It was an empty highway, but we do have speed limits here, so I value my current insurance rates 馃槉

And empty doesn't last for long at 100 ;)

You can go over the border and have real fun.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts