Polestar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
That makes good sense. C&D is likely to get slightly better numbers because they are professionals, while PS is just being conservative.

In your runs, did you find that you were ahead of more than 1/3 of the cars during the first 1/16 or 1/8 mile?
I wasn't up against enough cars to know. I need to go back on a Friday night when there are more cars. But, yeah, these cars get off the line quickly and you can tell by the velocity curve that peak acceleration occurs at the very start.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Seems like the more logical option for track use would be to improve battery cooling, rather than limiting power. But this might be a more convenient stopgap.
I believe higher voltage batteries would mean it needs less current for the same power (current x voltage) so would reduce the thermal load on the batteries.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
I wasn't up against enough cars to know. I need to go back on a Friday night when there are more cars. But, yeah, these cars get off the line quickly and you can tell by the velocity curve that peak acceleration occurs at the very start.
I once had a stoplight run with some really old dude (🤣) and his wife. He was driving a MB AMG Wagon, but I noticed the V8 Bi-Turbo emblem. Those cars have an electric supercharger and a regular turbo-charger. They have no lag. I realized very quickly I had no chance and I wasn't stupid enough to get into a tangle. When I looked it up those cars do 0-60 in the 3s. Otherwise, most cars that come close to the P2 get their power after about 30mph.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
BTW... still messing around a bit with things and I estimate that the acceleration on launch is 0.74g.

'Drove my brother's Mach-E yesterday which, to be fair, had four adults in it at the time... 'Didn't feel anywhere near as snappy when I hit the accelerator hard.

Reactions: Ms. PS2

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
BTW... still messing around a bit with things and I estimate that the acceleration on launch is 0.74g.

'Drove my brother's Mach-E yesterday which, to be fair, had four adults in it at the time... 'Didn't feel anywhere near as snappy when I hit the accelerator hard.
What's the official Mach-E number?

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Tesla Bjorn got 5.77s 0-100 km/h with the LR AWD (5.49 with 1 foot rollout).

PS2PP - 4.7 (4.39)
PS2 (nonPP) - 4.5 (4.32)
Interesting that with 19" wheels the car is faster. And given the 4wd and the amazing ability of this car to put power down, the tires really don't matter.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Interesting that with 19" wheels the car is faster. And given the 4wd and the amazing ability of this car to put power down, the tires really don't matter.
Eh, C&D got 4.1 excluding the rollout, 4.4 with, and carwow got 4.2, both with the Performance Pack, so call my fragile ego skeptical.

Seriously, the PP tires are stickier (more drag) and weigh a little more so the package might be heavier (although the wheels are forged), so a few tenths depending on conditions wouldn't be surprising.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Eh, C&D got 4.1 excluding the rollout, 4.4 with, and carwow got 4.2, both with the Performance Pack, so call my fragile ego skeptical.

Seriously, the PP tires are stickier (more drag) and weigh a little more so the package might be heavier (although the wheels are forged), so a few tenths depending on conditions wouldn't be surprising.
I remember now that the PP wheels are forged instead of cast.

I would think the stickier tires would be a benefit, but the car has no trouble putting power down regardless. My previous EV was fwd with LRR tires. The torque easily overpowered the available grip .

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
My competitors were doing burnouts before their runs to heat up their tires. I did not (and wouldn't know how anyway... likely not possible). I felt no tire slip whatsoever and there was no discernable difference between using sport mode or not.

I consistently got just over 4.2 seconds from a dead stop.

Again, I was struck by the lack of that quick acceleration feel in my brother's Mach E. I'm sure any one of you would also easily feel that difference. I don't claim any special abilities.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
My competitors were doing burnouts before their runs to heat up their tires. I did not (and wouldn't know how anyway... likely not possible). I felt no tire slip whatsoever and there was no discernable difference between using sport mode or not.
The few times I drag raced in my old AWD cars I'd just drive around the water pit. Clutch dump burnout attempt would've probably shredded my gearbox.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
Midnight 20” Charcoal July 21 vin 26xxx
495 Posts

I consistently got just over 4.2 seconds from a dead stop.

Again, I was struck by the lack of that quick acceleration feel in my brother's Mach E. I'm sure any one of you would also easily feel that difference. I don't claim any special abilities.
as long as it can get to 88 before the lightning strikes the clock tower.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts