Polestar Forum banner
81 - 100 of 217 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,621 Posts
Lucky you! Now you get to answer questions from the rest of us that are waiting to have this one. A couple from me:

1) Does the momentary consumption in the Range Assistant seem to update real time/quickly? Or is it laggy and/or heavily filtered?
2) Can you test if they have fixed the charging cable release issue (the one where cable can be removed even when car is locked and no key is present)?
No worries. I had to answer the same questions in the german forum already ;)

1. The display is updated about once per second. Decay time for the averaging filter seems to be ~15s - that's about the time after which the consumption returns to zero after a standstill.

2. A fix for this problem is not part of this update according to our internal sources. I will know whether I am hit with this bug in 2-3h - didn't have it before due to my old SW version. At least the car is charging on 3 phases - and I can see it in the app :)

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I know others (you included) have said that. But on mine, I can drive 80-90mph on the highway, or be stuck in city traffic, or be on a spirited back roads drive, and the mileage shown on the GoM is ALWAYS a function of the percentage and nothing more. If I charge it up to 100% SoC it will show 230 miles, no matter what. More often though, I charge up to 90%, which is then 210 miles. From there, it just continues to be fixed. If I show 50% SoC, it will show 120 (because it rounds). 35%, 80 miles, etc., etc.
My sense is that while charging it may be mostly fixed (though I've seen 250 back in the summer at 100%), but while driving it definitely is affected by other factors. Coming out of the mountains I've seen it climb over a long stretch.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
My sense is that while charging it may be mostly fixed (though I've seen 250 back in the summer at 100%), but while driving it definitely is affected by other factors. Coming out of the mountains I've seen it climb over a long stretch.
And when we drive up or back from the White Mountains, where the last bit going up or down from our place is quite steep, it effects nothing. Yes, it uses more battery to climb, and so the GoM drops more quickly, but the relationship between SoC and range shown always stays the same for me. Even when leaving our mountain house with 100% SoC (where it shows 230 miles range) if I just coast down hill for MILES, it never goes up. Done the same with lower SoC when just going out to dinner. It stays as a fixed relationship. BTW, this is on a displayed software version 2134.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1. The display is updated about once per second. Filtering seems to be over 15ish seconds - that's about the time after which the consumption returns to zero after a standstill.
But this would mean that heating/climatisation is not considered for the consumption value - it was not off during your test drive acc. the pictures.

·
Super Moderator
1,621 Posts
But this would mean that heating/climatisation is not considered for the consumption value - or was it off during your test drive?
It was on auto, but we had 20°C outside this afternoon, so neither heating, nor cooling needed. And it could be I saw a one instead of a zero occasionally.

·
Registered
California
762 Posts
I know others (you included) have said that. But on mine, I can drive 80-90mph on the highway, or be stuck in city traffic, or be on a spirited back roads drive, and the mileage shown on the GoM is ALWAYS a function of the percentage and nothing more. If I charge it up to 100% SoC it will show 230 miles, no matter what. More often though, I charge up to 90%, which is then 210 miles. From there, it just continues to be fixed. If I show 50% SoC, it will show 120 (because it rounds). 35%, 80 miles, etc., etc.
My Polestar 2 behaves like yours. There’s an exact relationship between SoC and the mileage guess. There was one time, on some very old version of the software when I first got the car, that I saw it deviate. But ever since my first software update it’s been a fixed relationship.

I still suspect that not everyone has exactly the same software on sub-components, even with the same final displayed software version. Earlier issue that made me suspect this was all the argument about when one-pedal driving braking strength changed — some people appear to have received that change with a much earlier update than others.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar
371 Posts
Lucky! My battery status does not seem any more reliable post-P2130 than it did before. I know Polestar said that connectivity should improve, but it’s just about the same for me. Takes several minutes, then times out. I have to retry quite a few times to get battery status.
Have you double checked to ensure your Polestar account has been added to your driver profile?

·
Super Moderator
1,621 Posts
Just discovered another novelty: You get a notification when you charged enough to reach your next navigation target.
Font Display device Rectangle Technology Gas

Rumour (the XC40 release notes) say, that the time needed to the SoC required to reach your next destination should also be displayed on the charging page. Will check tomorrow, when SoC is lower.

Curious what other features of the XC40 are implemented, but missing in our release notes:
  • The sensitivity of the rear automatic braking system (RAB) has been adjusted to reduce the risk of activation in automatic car washes.
  • A snowflake symbol appears next to the battery level indicator in cold weather to indicate that the usable battery capacity is limited.
  • Introduction of information about the effects of cold climates on the battery range through start messages and notifications in the driver's display.
  • Software update notifications will be available on the mobile app.
    • Notifications about an update that has been downloaded and ready to install, the installation started / in progress and the result of the installation.
  • Increased battery operating temperature while driving and fast charging to increase range and charging speed.
  • During the charging process, the charging time is shown in the charging view in the center display, which is required to reach a destination, if one has been set in Google Maps .

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Just discovered another novelty: You get a notification when you charged enough to reach your next navigation target.
View attachment 7791
Rumour (the XC40 release notes) say, that the time needed to the SoC required to reach your next destination should also be displayed on the charging page. Will check tomorrow, when SoC is lower.

Curious what other features of the XC40 are implemented, but missing in our release notes:
  • The sensitivity of the rear automatic braking system (RAB) has been adjusted to reduce the risk of activation in automatic car washes.
  • A snowflake symbol appears next to the battery level indicator in cold weather to indicate that the usable battery capacity is limited.
  • Introduction of information about the effects of cold climates on the battery range through start messages and notifications in the driver's display.
  • Software update notifications will be available on the mobile app.
    • Notifications about an update that has been downloaded and ready to install, the installation started / in progress and the result of the installation.
  • Increased battery operating temperature while driving and fast charging to increase range and charging speed.
  • During the charging process, the charging time is shown in the charging view in the center display, which is required to reach a destination, if one has been set in Google Maps .
Again I keep thinking about all the wining that's gone on for a year+ now, and juxtapose that with all the great things they have in the pipeline. Patience is all it takes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
May be. But may be Volvo decided that Polestar was nowhere it should be and decided to push/help/support and get now things done...
Finally...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
May be. But may be Volvo decided that Polestar was nowhere it should be and decided to push/help/support and get now things done...
Finally...
You would not get that sense from the AAOS run, and BEV, Volvo owners over on Swedespeed. Their issues and complaints have mirrored ours.

·
Super Moderator
1,621 Posts
Here are some more observations from a longer trip today.

In preparation for the trip, I put the car back on the charger in the morning @ 80% and let it charge to 100% with a preconditioning timer set for the expected finish time. Outside temperature was 16°C, overnight the temperature was ~10°C, so this is what the battery probably had as well. My expectation was a warm car and a normal consumption when taking of. The car was warm, but the consumption was not what I expected:
Font Circle Magenta Sky Darkness

I could see the car preconditioning for ~10min in the app, so I guess the battery is only heated while preheating is active - not independently. Curious how this will develop when temperatures drop below zero (C).

The other thing I was curious about is the charging timer mentioned in the XC40 release notes. Somehow, I managed to get this message, telling me I need 17% to reach my next stop. Quite nice, except that I was standing right in front of my next stop, my charger :rolleyes: . Also not sure why the message is so much abbreviated, that it is hardly readable - there's plenty of space available in the line and the text can easily be reworded to be shorter 🤷‍♂️
Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Setting a new destination farther away did not let me reproduce this or a more meaningful message. It also did not come up on my trip where I deliberatly set a destination further away and a required charging stop @ ~30%.
Funny thing is, if there is no destination set, the car tells you you can continue your trip the moment you plug in:
Sky Font Electric blue Circle Logo

I might have missed the beta label somewhere ;)

It never gets boring :)

·
Registered
2021 Snow PP, Barley Leather Int., Tow Package
98 Posts
My Polestar 2 behaves like yours. There’s an exact relationship between SoC and the mileage guess. There was one time, on some very old version of the software when I first got the car, that I saw it deviate. But ever since my first software update it’s been a fixed relationship.

I still suspect that not everyone has exactly the same software on sub-components, even with the same final displayed software version. Earlier issue that made me suspect this was all the argument about when one-pedal driving braking strength changed — some people appear to have received that change with a much earlier update than others.

I too have the same results with the GOM, that they only drop in 5 mile increments regardless of the terrain and my occasional spirited sprints through the canyons. I have tried everything to get to show expected range changes based on driving like grandma to driving like Michael Schumacher and it always stays the same. Question about the one pedal drive changing though... when did this change happen. I picked my car up on 8/27 and have never had it into the shop or had any OTA update that I am aware of but noticed a pretty good change of just how much breaking effort the regen actually gave about a week or two into driving it. I thought it was strange and wondered if I should take it in although I chalked it up to having never driven an EV and figured I just finally got so used to it I could barely notice it.

·
Registered
California
762 Posts
Question about the one pedal drive changing though... when did this change happen.
For me, there was a very noticeable decrease in braking power with one-pedal driving after I got the update that is now retroactively called P1.4. Many other folks on the forum said their braking did not change, but some of them felt a change with one of the earlier updates.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I dropped mine off at Polestar of Bellevue, which ironically isn't even close to Bellevue, to fix a problem with static in the audio, and picked it up with P1.7 installed, which was a nice surprise. After talking to them on the phone, I thought they'd just found an update the amp needed, but I guess they just install 1.7. So far, my issue's have been resolved. SiriusXM is working fine, though the artwork for the channels could benefit from higher resolution album art. I don't know if I experience different one pedal braking or not. I also really need to read the OTA notes more.

Side note: My loaner was a Void with slate interior (mine is Midnight/Charcoal) and only had 12 miles on it; I really wish slate was available for the Midnight Blue.

·
Registered
623 Posts
So I got 1.7 installed today at the dealers, mainly to see if the software update/reset fixed the APP which had suddenly stopped working and was refusing to re-pair whatever I tried, which it did :). Prior to the software update I deleted the App off my phone, set up a new profile in the car and deleted the existing profile(s). Once 1.7 was installed, I went through the pairing process again and it all came back instantly. As for 1.7, here's the English version of the new screen.

After playing with it for a full 2 minutes I can confidently report it's marginally better than the existing range screen it replaces which we all agreed was useless, this one is upgraded to 'next to useless', and will also be confined to the back pages of my screen never to appear.

Mobile phone Gadget Communication Device Font Material property

and also as @krheinwald reported the undocumented feature (in the p2 update notes) of telling you how much total % charge you need to your next stop and a flag showing the same.

Communication Device Gadget Cameras & optics Audio equipment Automotive mirror

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sounds like there's hope that my missing battery status and missing "Polestar2" BLE profile might be fixed by the P1.7 update :)

Reactions: whiteco3

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
349 Posts
Sounds like there's hope that my missing battery status and missing "Polestar2" BLE profile might be fixed by the P1.7 update :)
FWIW, the app, including PAK (which I think depends on that BLE profile), started working for me with P2130 (aka P1.6). PAK never worked for me before that.

81 - 100 of 217 Posts