Polestar Forum banner

381 - 400 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
614 Posts
It's the range of the one pedal drive braking, they are talking about, it supposedly behaves differently, slowing at a lower rate than before.
I’m one of those that mentioned that it feels like deceleration is reduced, but might be wrong.

What is blindingly obvious is that at 90% it shows 220 miles now whereas before it was claiming something unrealistic like 270 (honesty don’t remember what now as I stopped paying attention to it).

I think it takes temperature into account too, I checked now that it’s above 10c compared to yesterday night and it now claims 230 (car was just parked overnight disconnected from power)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m one of those that mentioned that it feels like deceleration is reduced, but might be wrong.

What is blindingly obvious is that at 90% it shows 220 miles now whereas before it was claiming something unrealistic like 270 (honesty don’t remember what now as I stopped paying attention to it).

I think it takes temperature into account too, I checked now that it’s above 10c compared to yesterday night and it now claims 230 (car was just parked overnight disconnected from power)
There's an update on the site that confirms this:

Published: 03/05/2021

In order to better represent a more achievable range we have improved the algorithm behind the stated distance to empty (DTE), opting for a more linear representation. The achievable range more conservative in comparison to figures based on WLTP certification. While WLTP certification is a useful tool for comparing the range of different electric cars, the actual achievable range varies based on a multitude of varying factors, including for example outside temperature, speed, tyre size and rolling resistance, climate control, driving style and road conditions.

·
Registered
614 Posts
There's an update on the site that confirms this:

Published: 03/05/2021

In order to better represent a more achievable range we have improved the algorithm behind the stated distance to empty (DTE), opting for a more linear representation. The achievable range more conservative in comparison to figures based on WLTP certification. While WLTP certification is a useful tool for comparing the range of different electric cars, the actual achievable range varies based on a multitude of varying factors, including for example outside temperature, speed, tyre size and rolling resistance, climate control, driving style and road conditions.
Great to see this being finally addressed. It was a terrible idea to base the estimate on the WLTP figure, absolutely nobody will ever get that range, unless there's a stretch of 300 mile downhill highway somewhere.

Edit: Looking at the other FAQs this is in fact proposed as the version to determine if you're using the latest verison:

P2116.5 is the latest software for Polestar 2 which starts rolling out OTA from 03 May. We are working on a way to show the vehicle software version in the car. The easiest way to determine whether you have the latest software is to check the stated distance to empty (DTE). A 100% charge will display 400 km; 90% will show 370 km. The updated Polestar app automatically verifies the car’s software status via the cloud when trying to initiate pairing. If the car has not yet been updated, an error message will explain that the latest car software needs to be installed first. If there has been an error in downloading or installing the vehicle software, the car can be manually updated at a service point. Please contact Polestar Support for assistance in making a workshop booking.
370km is 229miles, no idea why mine was displaying 220 yesterday and 230 today after staying in my drive overnight, perhaps it's just rounding errors and I was optimistic in assuming it takes temperature into account.

·
Registered
614 Posts
This new functionality prepares the battery with optimal operating temperature when plugged into an AC charger until the desired charge level is reached. This is applicable only when 90-100% charge limit is selected, and will not apply from 80% charge limit and below. Battery preconditioning improves range and regenerative braking efficiency as the battery is more efficient when it operates within an ideal temperature band. The pre-heating cycle is completed automatically once per charge cycle. If climate preconditioning has been scheduled and is due to activate whilst the car is plugged in, the battery will be preconditioned again at the scheduled time if the temperature has been lost – for example, if the car has been left plugged in for an extended period and the battery temperature has dropped.
That is I believe new and something many here were requesting - climate preconditioning (at leat the scheduled based one) will also precondition the battery if required.

I wonder if that also works when one activates climate preconditioning is activated ad hoc via the centre screen or the new fangled app, I don't see why not but the clumsy wording in the FAQ seems to indicate this is not the case.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great to see this being finally addressed. It was a terrible idea to base the estimate on the WLTP figure, absolutely nobody will ever get that range, unless there's a stretch of 300 mile downhill highway somewhere.

Edit: Looking at the other FAQs this is in fact proposed as the version to determine if you're using the latest verison:

370km is 229miles, no idea why mine was displaying 220 yesterday and 230 today after staying in my drive overnight, perhaps it's just rounding errors and I was optimistic in assuming it takes temperature into account.
Ambient temperature 🌡

·
Registered
972 Posts
Lol, did they just use the EPA figures as the starting point in the rest of the world?

Reactions: KRS

·
Registered
192 Posts
I’m at 90% currently, but showing only 210 mi range
You’d need to include your ambient temperature to provide context. But that would give you roughly 230 miles at 100% which seems very realistic to me. On that basis I’d assume you’re in the low to mid 70F/20C readings outside?

It will also factor in previous averages I believe, so if you regularly hit the highway and are heavy footed it’ll bring the range down.

Reactions: StarPole

·
Registered
972 Posts
They fixed the dumb annoying bug when you tapped the app button from the home screen. Sometimes the HVAC controls wouldn't go away to reveal the Settings, Play Store, and Manual buttons.

The accelerator mapping is a little different. Tip in seems better, and the regen feels more linear when you're full lift, but less so when partial. Was a little easier to deal with on the drive this morning.

Also think the car properly switches cameras when going from reverse to forward at low speed. Need to test that though.

Phone-as-a-key needs some work. Controlling the car is a breeze, but the key crapped out as soon as I got near the car.

Reactions: polerad
381 - 400 of 474 Posts