Polestar Forum banner
901 - 920 of 981 Posts

·
Registered
California
604 Posts
At the rate things are going, 4G/LTE may not go away until I'm dead. Heck, what can't you do on 4G? Not much. And the last thing we all need is more radiation from 5G mini-towers in front of everyone's house.
The focus on 5G UWB (high-band) mini-towers is mostly because that’s all the spectrum Verizon and AT&T could get ahold of early on. It’s to their benefit for everyone to think of “5G” as this super-high speed city thing.

The actual useful improvements to coverage and availability of networks with 5G comes in the mid-band and low-band spectra. The speeds are not necessarily that noticeably different from LTE, but capacity and coverage can be better, which means getting LTE-like speeds in places where you couldn’t before. Especially in a country like the US.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
The focus on 5G UWB (high-band) mini-towers is mostly because that’s all the spectrum Verizon and AT&T could get ahold of early on. It’s to their benefit for everyone to think of “5G” as this super-high speed city thing.

The actual useful improvements to coverage and availability of networks with 5G comes in the mid-band and low-band spectra. The speeds are not necessarily that noticeably different from LTE, but capacity and coverage can be better, which means getting LTE-like speeds in places where you couldn’t before. Especially in a country like the US.
Yeah, but if they can put a 5g mini-tower on every other light pole, they'll never have to wire another neighborhood again. They'll just radiate everyone.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah, but if they can put a 5g mini-tower on every other light pole, they'll never have to wire another neighborhood again. They'll just radiate everyone.
Your phone and car are doing a better job of irradiating you than Ma Bell and the Purple lot ever will.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Your phone and car are doing a better job of irradiating you than Ma Bell and the Purple lot ever will.
Your phone has a relatively low power transmitter and mine is shielded. The real power is on the tower end. How close do you want to be to it?

·
Registered
California
604 Posts
What are they talking about? Service Pack 2?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Polestar/comments/olwbaj
I saw this post too, then spent some time searching, and it’s literally the only mention of “Service Pack 2” with Polestar I can find on the internet.

I mean, it’s possible it’s a real thing, but this would be the first time it’s been publicly referred to that way.

My personal guess is it’s the “second” major US OTA update plus some slight miscommunication, and Polestar is sending a tech around the US installing the full update on vehicles far from service centers that haven’t received it / were incapable of receiving it. We already know Polestar identified that some vehicles wouldn’t be able to update OTA until they had it manually applied.

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
265 Posts
And light bulbs. Not to mention the sun...
There is more to the electromagnetic spectrum than 5g. 🤓 ;)

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
And light bulbs. Not to mention the sun...
There is more to the electromagnetic spectrum than 5g. 🤓 ;)
We all get radiation from the sun. So you can say we live -- and die -- because of the sun. Not much point in mentioning that. Standard light bulbs emit almost nothing. Florescents can emit some UV. LEDs -- nada.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I saw this post too, then spent some time searching, and it’s literally the only mention of “Service Pack 2” with Polestar I can find on the internet.

I mean, it’s possible it’s a real thing, but this would be the first time it’s been publicly referred to that way.

My personal guess is it’s the “second” major US OTA update plus some slight miscommunication, and Polestar is sending a tech around the US installing the full update on vehicles far from service centers that haven’t received it / were incapable of receiving it. We already know Polestar identified that some vehicles wouldn’t be able to update OTA until they had it manually applied.
Probably 2127 or 8, he posted about 2124 before (complete with rants about locking kids in cars when updating.)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Taking it off topic for a second, noticed a few not so great things:
  • Speed limit is horrific. I rebooted the Infotainment today to see if it gets better, but it's been showing 30mph on a 65mph stretch of highway recently, both north and southbound. It used to be mostly ok, now it's mostly nonsense. I also noticed it didn't show anything for a stretch of road that should be in Google's DB (6 lane road).
  • Music apps have been stopping/crashing left and right. This is new new, and what prompted me to reboot the system... annoying and seems to only happen when the assistant/nav is running.
We'll see if the reboot helps.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Both of these emit radiation that is arguably more harmful to humans than what a cell tower puts out.
It's irrelevant because we all need to live before we die. Dieing of nature causes includes exposure to food and light.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
If your phone was properly shielded it wouldn't work.
There are many such devices available:

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,878 Posts
The phone and mast negotiate how much transmit power each needs to use to get a reliable connection. If you (at least partially) block a radiation path for the phone, all it will do is tell the cell tower to increase the transmission power to your phone. You actually end up with more radiation into your body.

901 - 920 of 981 Posts