Polestar Forum banner
921 - 940 of 981 Posts

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
265 Posts
It's irrelevant because we all need to live before we die. Dieing of nature causes includes exposure to food and light.
Not at all irrelevant. I, for example, have to take serious precaution when I go outside and take protection from the sun's UV radiation. I feel absolutely no need to do similar things for cell towers. Any claims that those are harmful are mere fear mongering. And, indeed, you receive a much higher dose from your phone in your pocket (or next to your head when you actually use it as a phone) than what you get from a cell tower. In either case those are just in the microwave band. The worst that this does is to heat up things - and at the power levels we are talking here this effect is negligible.

And you are right - we all, for better or worse (mostly better) have to live with the sun. I only brought it up to showcase the fact that just because it's electromagnetic radiation does not mean it is harmful.

·
Registered
California
604 Posts
Taking it off topic for a second, noticed a few not so great things:
  • Speed limit is horrific. I rebooted the Infotainment today to see if it gets better, but it's been showing 30mph on a 65mph stretch of highway recently, both north and southbound. It used to be mostly ok, now it's mostly nonsense. I also noticed it didn't show anything for a stretch of road that should be in Google's DB (6 lane road).
I live in the SF Bay Area and drive through areas quite close to Google headquarters. It was never great, but it does seem to be worse. I’ve seen it report a 75 mph speed limit on a 35 mph road (El Camino Real!). And I regularly see 30 mph on particular stretches of 280 and 101, which should be frequent Google employee routes.

I can sort-of understand errors when there’s this mix of pulling from Google Maps (presumably) and reading signs visually. But it makes less sense when using Google’s navigation in that mix too — it should have even more confidence about the road I’m on when it’s part of a route.

I’m confused about how Google is calculating time to get to destinations if it’s this wrong about road speeds. Which makes me think it’s the visual sign reading part that’s really complicating it?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I live in the SF Bay Area and drive through areas quite close to Google headquarters. It was never great, but it does seem to be worse. I’ve seen it report a 75 mph speed limit on a 35 mph road (El Camino Real!). And I regularly see 30 mph on particular stretches of 280 and 101, which should be frequent Google employee routes.

I can sort-of understand errors when there’s this mix of pulling from Google Maps (presumably) and reading signs visually. But it makes less sense when using Google’s navigation in that mix too — it should have even more confidence about the road I’m on when it’s part of a route.

I’m confused about how Google is calculating time to get to destinations if it’s this wrong about road speeds. Which makes me think it’s the visual sign reading part that’s really complicating it?
It seems like it's all but stopped using Maps/GPS for the speed limits now. Sounded like that was causing issues with drivers in the UK, so maybe they pulled it back to favor the camera and it broke it for us?

Google uses a mix of the speed limits and average speeds, so even if their DB is off a little, the speed of traffic should compensate. Still, 75 in a 35 is way off, that should be corrected.

·
Registered
258 Posts
From Wikipedia re the speaker in this video

5G Campaign
Davis claims that radio-frequency systems such as WiFi and cellular phones pose a health risk to humans and other animals. Davis believes that 5G is particularly harmful and should be subject to additional study before it is widely deployed:[9]

Davis has been criticized for cherry-picking evidence[10] and misrepresenting the studies upon which her conclusions were drawn.[11] Davis and the Environmental Health Trust have been accused of using "low quality sources" and exaggerating the significance of findings related to cellphone safety.[12]

Basically you’ll always find one or two loud voices which resonate. But sounding “good” to your beliefs does not make them scientifically correct or accurate.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
From Wikipedia re the speaker in this video

5G Campaign
Davis claims that radio-frequency systems such as WiFi and cellular phones pose a health risk to humans and other animals. Davis believes that 5G is particularly harmful and should be subject to additional study before it is widely deployed:[9]

Davis has been criticized for cherry-picking evidence[10] and misrepresenting the studies upon which her conclusions were drawn.[11] Davis and the Environmental Health Trust have been accused of using "low quality sources" and exaggerating the significance of findings related to cellphone safety.[12]

Basically you’ll always find one or two loud voices which resonate. But sounding “good” to your beliefs does not make them scientifically correct or accurate.
The loudest voices you will hear comes from the telecommunications industry. You'll find plenty of that. No different from the mining industry that told us fracking was ok, or the tobacco industry that told us smoking was ok. They pour millions into overwhelming research in the hope you won't find anything else. After they've extracted their billions and people get sick, only then will we find out for sure the real impact. Don't forget, wide use of cell phones is still fairly new. I only started as an adult. My kids will be the first gen using them virtually their entire lives. By the time they are old, we'll have empirical data.

Of course it's always easy to shoot the messenger when you have no contrary evidence.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The evidence is literally linked in the article I quote. If you’re not going to read it then please stop posting.

And the phrase is “shoot the messenger”, it’s used when delivering someone else’s bad news. You’re just regurgitating claims that match your beliefs and zero scientific value

·
Registered
2021 2
2,588 Posts
Taking it off topic for a second, noticed a few not so great things:
  • Speed limit is horrific. I rebooted the Infotainment today to see if it gets better, but it's been showing 30mph on a 65mph stretch of highway recently, both north and southbound. It used to be mostly ok, now it's mostly nonsense. I also noticed it didn't show anything for a stretch of road that should be in Google's DB (6 lane road).
  • Music apps have been stopping/crashing left and right. This is new new, and what prompted me to reboot the system... annoying and seems to only happen when the assistant/nav is running.
We'll see if the reboot helps.
I’ve noticed not crashing but intermittent pausing of streaming usually at the beginning of a ride or after switching stations. I have my Spotify stream quality set to max instead of auto so I’m guessing this is related to a buffering issue. But, I’ve only noticed this since the latest update. Maybe this update actively manages bandwidth in some way in an attempt to ensure a more stable connection?

·
Registered
2021 2
2,588 Posts
Still, 75 in a 35 is way off, that should be corrected.
Speak for yourself!

but seriously not sure if I notice any difference in speed limit recognition with the update. Was pretty useless before and pretty useless now.

most I can figure is that the GPS info for the speed limit recognition is off by some amount so it assumes you’re on a different road than you are. But I don’t know of any road around here that’s 75mph next to El Camino Real.

an alternative is its using camera recognition and there’s enough folks putting stickers on the signs to fool camera based speed limit recognition systems, because Bay Area:

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
The evidence is literally linked in the article I quote. If you’re not going to read it then please stop posting.

And the phrase is “shoot the messenger”, it’s used when delivering someone else’s bad news. You’re just regurgitating claims that match your beliefs and zero scientific value
I read the article and simply disagree.

We won a lawsuit against Verizon putting up a tower and presented mountains of evidence in court that is impossible to post here. I need not argue with you -- we WON the lawsuit. You can "smoke your cigarettes" to your hearts delight.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Speak for yourself!

but seriously not sure if I notice any difference in speed limit recognition with the update. Was pretty useless before and pretty useless now.

most I can figure is that the GPS info for the speed limit recognition is off by some amount so it assumes you’re on a different road than you are. But I don’t know of any road around here that’s 75mph next to El Camino Real.

an alternative is its using camera recognition and there’s enough folks putting stickers on the signs to fool camera based speed limit recognition systems, because Bay Area:
I find that the speed limit sensor is much less accurate after the last update.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I’ve noticed not crashing but intermittent pausing of streaming usually at the beginning of a ride or after switching stations.
I haven't had any issues since the last update.

(Note sound of worried professor who claims not to be superstitious knocking on wood.)

Reactions: Ms. PS2

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,878 Posts
You guys can have a physical argument about it over the Atlantic ocean ;) I simply don't want that topic to perpetuate on the thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 - Midnight, Leather, Launch ed. Tow-bar, 19”
44 Posts
Service Pack 2.
Lately i seen various posters mentioning ”service pack 2”, in most cases seem to belive that this will fix their problems.
Have i miss out on something here, never heard about any service pack mention before?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Oh yea... Google is showing my carrier as AT&T again. :)

• Wow
Reactions: Mick
921 - 940 of 981 Posts