Polestar Forum banner

Software Updates Log

137K views 1K replies 142 participants last post by  M_at 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit: Official, up-to-date log can be found here: Pure progressive performance | Polestar

K.
---

Hi all, I thought I would start a post trying to track the available software versions and the updates/changes between versions. This is not an official list, so do not expect in-depth information on bug fixes. I'm also relying on the generosity of others to provide/populate the data when it becomes available/discovered.

To add a new version or a recent feature/change: Reply to the thread with the information so the line can be updated.

Any reported issues/bugs/features will stay (unconfirmed) until verified by someone else.

February 2021 P2108.3
Known Changes:
  • Safety-related propulsion bug fix

January 2021 P2104.1
Version Info*:
  • Android Version: 10
  • Security Patch Level: 1 December 2020
  • Kernel Version: 4.19.143-PKT-200914T053350Z-gd5525b619f0f (#1 Fri Jan 8 16:53:11 CET 2021)
  • Build Number: QA1A.201017.002.ARTINFO.QAB.1-163-ge59708ebe
Known Changes:
  • Upgrade to Android 10 (Q)
  • Admin privileges for vehicle profiles: allows profile owner to do a factory reset
  • Harman Kardon premium audio: enhanced surround sound
  • Radio: FM / DAB linking for a seamless listening experience (Radio favourites will be erased and need to be reprogrammed)
  • Air quality visualization (China only)
  • Climate timers: stability improvements
  • 360 camera: quality and stability improvements
  • Bluetooth: phone favourite contacts now sync with the car; general quality and stability improvements
  • Owner's Manual: quality improvements
  • Connected Safety (Europe, North America): cloud-based safety information shared between Polestar and Volvo vehicles that help improve driving safety by warning other drivers of potential hazards.
  • Range improvements (tweaks related to regeneration)
  • DC charging: incremental speed improvements
  • AC charging: stability improvements
  • New Bug/Issue: This update removed the ability to turn the wireless charger on/off. The car still uses the previous setting. Ensure you turn your wireless charger on before updating to this version. Otherwise, it will require a service visit to re-enable it.

OTA Update P2048.3
(8th December 2020: Polestar is now rolling out Over-the-Air (OTA) updates for Polestar 2. They will initially push these out to a small number of selected vehicles in Sweden and Norway before increasing the scope to include all vehicles.)
  • Climate control timer: activate the climate control to pre-heat your Polestar 2 from inside the car according to your desired schedule, accessible in the Parking climate control settings
  • Drivability: improvements when starting from a standstill, including smoother brake release
  • Charging: stability improvements
  • Range: improved range accuracy
  • Supplementary battery: stability improvements to the 12-volt battery system
  • Connectivity: stability improvements
  • Rear windows: improved closing to create a tighter seal against the glass

November 2020
Version Info*:
  • Android Version: 9
  • Security Patch Level: 1 November 2020
  • Kernel Version: 4.19.80-PKT-191023T190243Z-g01dc27021903 (#1 Fri Oct 23 12:24:12 CEST 2020)
  • Build Number: PAG1.200706.001.ARTINFO.PAD.8-448-gc36bce224
Known Changes:
  • Feature: Cabin preconditioning timer available from the Parking menu. Allows you to set desired departure time and will heat cabin ready for departure.
  • Fix: Fix for right-hand drive (e.g. UK) cars in the sound/audio menu to correctly show/set driver position
  • Change: Pressing the button releases the charging cable even when the car is locked as long as you have the key nearby. It is no longer necessary to unlock the car first to release the charging cable.
  • Fix: Improved low light performance in reversing camera (unconfirmed)
  • Bug: Keys linked to profiles no longer select the correct profile. Instead, the final shape is always used. (Confirmed - workaround/fix is to disconnect each key and reconnect them)
  • Bug: Issues related to the WiFi not working - not showing SSIDs. (Confirmed - see thread here)

October 2020
Version Info*:
  • Android Version: 9
  • Security Patch Level: 1 October 2020
  • Kernel Version: 4.19.80-PKT-191023T190243Z-g01dc27021903 (#1 Sun Sep 27 21:47:17 CEST 2020)
  • Build Number: PAG1.200706.001.ARTINFO.PAD.8-392-gead31d8cd
Known Changes:
  • Recommended charge level set to 90%
  • Software is now compatible with OTA updates (when they are made available and published by Polestar)

*Version Info is the information displayed on the infotainment system; this probably doesn't represent the firmware/software versions of the various ECUs etc.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a very useful thread if we can keep it updated. I'll make it a sticky (pinned) thread at the top. Thanks @misterspam for offering to maintain it and to others for providing updates when they happen...

#3 ·
One slight diff: apparently the car control software and the infotainment are two different stacks that can be updated independently.

So for instance you can get the OTA-ready update and not the October Android patch or vice versa, in principle. Chances are you got both at the same time. But you can’t tell if you’re OTA ready by looking at the build/kernel info in the Android system info screen

also, a bit of an Easter egg I saw yesterday: if you tap the build ID three times it indicates you enter a developer mode.... that isn’t ready at the moment of course.

#9 ·
One slight diff: apparently the car control software and the infotainment are two different stacks that can be updated independently.
Not really too much I can do about that unless/until we get tools or something that shows those versions. Tbh I would have expected that the OTA was almost entirely on the Android system - as long as you have a version that supports it (e.g. October update onwards) the OTA should work? I did mention that there are different firmwares on different ECUs/controllers. I would be very surprised if someone on the Oct/Nov update couldn't do an OTA upgrade - but only time will tell.

also, a bit of an Easter egg I saw yesterday: if you tap the build ID three times it indicates you enter a developer mode.... that isn’t ready at the moment of course.
Actually - it says that you can't enter developer mode. I think it will never be available and developers will be expected to test their apps 100% in the simulator and then on a limited release on the Play Store.

Is it a simple process to arrive at this screen in the main display?
Yes - go to the apps page, press the settings cog and then at the bottom of the list somewhere is 'About'. It'll give you a screen that looks like this:

#4 ·
I've gotten the November update, and one thing I believe has been improved, is low-light performance on the reverse camera.
As we know, the reverse-lights are rubbish, so before I've tried to use the backup-camera, and brake-lights to try and see behind me. Now, after the update, I can mostly see stuff behind the car in the camera without using the brake lights. This might be placebo, so maybe someone else could confirm?
I'll keep my eyes and ears open for others things. Maybe the artifical sounds moving forward has been activated? Let's check next time.

#10 ·
So if you have October 1st update, you should get OTA updates? So I presume the Nov 1st should come automatically at some point. My car was delivered in November but only with October 1st update...have tried requesting an update on the system but nothing doing..any ideas on when/how this happens? Do I also understand you are not notified when your system is updated?

#12 ·
I think the key part of this is "at some point". I was told when my car was delivered (with the October update) that it was ready for OTA updates but according to the Polestar website the updates might not be available/published via OTA until 2021. I saw somewhere that the car will download the updates automatically while the car is on (i.e. it won't download them while the car is sat locked/charging on the drive) and then prompt/notify you to update.

Reactions: polerad
#11 · (Edited)
As I understand, the Nov. 1st update is required as it is the last version before the recall was announced. And we can only assume this update correlates with other updates of other controllers which might be necessary for OTA capability.

#14 ·
Since yesterday my polestar has the new software, with security patch 1 November.
I noticed a new bug, maybe we can also put these in the list?

New bug:
When entering the car, the latest profile is selected in stead of the profile from the key with which the car is unlocked.
It should automatically use the profile attached to the key, but is does not anymore. It simply uses the last used profile, so mirrors ans chair positions are also from the last user, not the one entering the car.

This worked fine in the prior version, 1 October.

#25 ·
You won't get the Nov 1st OTA update until early-2021 according to Polestar's support page (and by then it'll probably be the December/January OTA update anyway). The only way to know for sure is to ask Polestar to check/update your car or wait until others start reporting that OTA updates are happening and if you don't get it...you'll know your car isn't completely OTA compatible.

If you want the Nov 1st update, you'll need to talk to PS support and ask them to book you in to your nearest Volve dealer. I don't believe the Nov 1st update is required for OTA updates, but other components may need to be updated.

#26 ·
Someone has mentioned issues with connecting to WiFi on the latest update (Nov). Can anyone else confirm or is this the same issue as before (can't connect to networks with WPS enabled)?

#28 ·
Im on the Oct 1 update and can’t connect to WiFi any way (via phone hotspot or a usual router). My 4G signal is fine.
Ive also been told this is a known issue that is meant to be fixed by an update that is meant to go OTA.

#32 ·
This has just been posted to the UK Facebook group - I have added the details to my post.
Polestar are now rolling out Over-the-Air (OTA) updates for Polestar 2. They will initially push these out to a small number of selected vehicles in Sweden and Norway before increasing the scope to include all vehicles. The ramp-up is geared to carefully control pressure on the system and guarantee sufficient support of the services involved, which have all performed well during our testing phase.
Customers who receive the update will be informed directly via email with an overview of how the update works and what they should expect.
Some customers will not receive the first OTA update. This is because their cars have already received the latest software package (P2048.3) as part of a recent workshop visit (after 25 November), or their car was delivered with the latest software already applied. Vehicles that have not yet been to a workshop for required campaign activity, which includes the upgrade to be able to receive OTA updates, will receive the latest software during the workshop visit.
The latest software package includes a number of enhancements, the most notable of which is the ability to now pre-schedule the parking climate timer in the car, from the Parking Climate control screen.
As always, we thank you for your enthusiasm for our brand.
Below is an overview of the latest software release.
Release notes for software update: P2048.3
  • Climate control timer: activate the climate control to pre-heat your Polestar 2 from inside the car according to your desired schedule, accessible in the Parking climate control settings
  • Drivability: improvements when starting from standstill, including smoother brake release
  • Charging: stability improvements
  • Range: improved range accuracy
  • Supplementary battery: stability improvements to the 12-volt battery system
  • Connectivity: stability improvements
  • Rear windows: improved closing to create tighter seal against the glass

#36 ·
Best to raise this with Polestar Customer Services as they can arrange for your local Volvo dealer to do the update.

Reactions: jupiterorbit
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.