Polestar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
EDC is the funny paragraph about engine braking, downshifting and driving in a low gear (not speed) I quoted yesterday in another thread. As this paragraph seems to be copied from the manual for an ICE, I'd rather have this comfirmed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks everyone for your comments, and for pointing to the "relevant" portion of the manual. I put relevant in quotes since the text does seem to refer to an ICE car (e.g., downshifting). Seems encouraging, though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
EDC is the funny paragraph about engine braking, downshifting and driving in a low gear (not speed) I quoted yesterday in another thread. As this paragraph seems to be copied from the manual for an ICE, I'd rather have this comfirmed.

I think "engine braking" is easily interpreted as "regen" or "electric motor braking" in an EV. I have little doubt that this functionality remains.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You are probably right, but we have a proverb here in Germany: "A burned child shies away from fire'. I received too many burn marks during the last months to give PS the benefit of the doubt.

The fact that it takes PS support more than 2 weeks already to clarify the meaning of this ambigous/badly translated paragraph is just another burn mark...

·
Registered
145 Posts
The concept of using the gear shift I believe was meant to give new EV drivers the sense of a low gear like in an ICE car. But since Tesla has now defined EV operation, that's been replaced with the OPD concept. Heck, the entire concept of a gear shift lever is a holdover too.
I remember years ago (38) going to America, hiring a car, found it was auto and had to ask the hire company how to drive the darn thing.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Before the Polestar came along, I was planning on getting an BMW M4. I would have gotten the manual transmission. But I'm OK with giving it up for an electric ride whose design I like much better.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I will miss rowing through the gears.
After 20 year of driving my 5-speed manual Saab 900, I was sad to leave the (original !! ) clutch behind when I got my Audi A4 with the tiptronic transmission, especially since most of my driving is in the mountains. However, I realized pretty quickly that with the manual-shifting option in the automatic transmission, it was very similar to driving a manual, just without the hassle of using your left foot (especially nice if you are wearing a ski boot). So I adapted pretty quickly. Now, in the ongoing progression, we are being asked to stop shifting altogether. Wondering if I will never look back, like I did with the automatic Audi, or if I will miss it. Right now, I'm guessing I will miss having gears. But I also think OPD might be pretty awesome for curvy mountain roads, especially on the descent. So we'll see. Keeping an open mind.

·
Registered
720 Posts
When 90% of your driving is stop and go traffic, you get tired of a manual pretty quickly. ACC was like a godsend. In traffic I could set it and forget it for most of my drive, and the stress melts away.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I got stuck on the M1 for 4 hours is stop start traffic in my Mini Cooper S.

My Clutch Knee died that day and I swore on the automotive gods I would never buy a manual again. And I never have. That was from 2014.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
But, but, but... You're all being very logical and practical... But, still, when the road is just right and there's little traffic, there really is something fun... something connected between driver and machine... that happens only with a manual transmission.

I'm convinced I'm going to just love OPD and no transmission. I am... But I have had wonderful times with my former ride... including time on the track realizing I'm really not that good compared to your average track instructor, lol.

·
Registered
720 Posts
But, but, but... You're all being very logical and practical... But, still, when the road is just right and there's little traffic, there really is something fun... something connected between driver and machine... that happens only with a manual transmission.

I'm convinced I'm going to just love OPD and no transmission. I am... But I have had wonderful times with my former ride... including time on the track realizing I'm really not that good compared to your average track instructor, lol.
This sounds like a car commercial ;) They sell you on the dream/lifestyle of owning such and such car. Then after you're driving to work/school/store in rain/snow/traffic over bumpy/rutted/grooved roads it hits you in the face that it's just a car.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
This sounds like a car commercial ;) They sell you on the dream/lifestyle of owning such and such car. Then after you're driving to work/school/store in rain/snow/traffic over bumpy/rutted/grooved roads it hits you in the face that it's just a car.
Don't dash my dreams, JRRF! It will never be "just a car!"

Actually, I have to tell you, I very seldom get new cars. This will be only the sixth car I've purchased for my use. With nearly all my previous cars, that new car specialness wore off between six months and two years. My last car, though, kept reminding me what a great car it was right into this year... 11 years of ownership and 180,000 miles and it's still a great car.

I have a sneaking suspicion, that the Polestar 2 will be a car like that. And if you use logic and rationality to dash my dreams here, I'm afraid I just won't be able to buy you a beer if we ever get together.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Don't dash my dreams, JRRF! It will never be "just a car!"

Actually, I have to tell you, I very seldom get new cars. This will be only the sixth car I've purchased for my use. With nearly all my previous cars, that new car specialness wore off between six months and two years. My last car, though, kept reminding me what a great car it was right into this year... 11 years of ownership and 180,000 miles and it's still a great car.

I have a sneaking suspicion, that the Polestar 2 will be a car like that. And if you use logic and rationality to dash my dreams here, I'm afraid I just won't be able to buy you a beer if we ever get together.
I want that post-covid beer!!!

As I got older I started to lease cars for the reasons you touch on. I really like cars and life is too short to only get to experience 2 or 3 more. This way I can triple that count. It's always a bit sad when I bid them adieux, but there's a new beauty waiting in the wings 🤩. This never works out that way with women so at least I can do it with cars 😆

41 - 60 of 69 Posts