Polestar Forum banner

121 - 141 of 170 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,516 Posts
But using OPD to come to a stop is no more efficient than coasting and then braking with a low enough force that only regen is used. You can't change the laws of physics!

So - again - OPD is less efficient because no human (no, not even you @baldyloxx ) is good enough to always be at the sweet spot of accelerating, braking or zero. OPD off is without a single question of doubt the most efficient way to drive because you are only requesting retardation from the car when it's actually required, and within regen limits.

If I'm honest, this feels like you like OPD (no problem there, it's personal preference!) but have decided that because you like it, everyone else must be wrong, even when you're presented with facts which prove otherwise. It's fine for you to say you prefer it - very happy there - but you cannot argue it's the most efficient system when many others have presented facts that prove otherwise.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I brought up coasting to a stop.. as a point of how OPD can be more efficient..

I guess im a nobody
It could be just as efficient (but no more) as using the brake pedal, but only if you are very careful and ultimately lucky. The max efficient it can get would be the same as the brake pedal. Any slip in your usage and you will be less efficient.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Exactly my point.

With advantages for non-OPD everytime you miss the sweet spot for coasting in OPD.
Exactly.

As I mentioned, OPD OFF is the most efficient way ... OPD on LOW is my preferred around town - slight aggressive feeling engine braking but I can most times come to a stop without touching the brake peddle, and when I do 99% of those times I'm still regenerating and not using Physical brakes.

Basically if you want MAX range turn OPD OFF. If you don't care about max range then use whatever OPD suits you the most.

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
For context, we're probably only talking about a fraction of a percent anyway. Go with what you enjoy :).

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
For context, we're probably only talking about a fraction of a percent anyway. Go with what you enjoy :).
Hmm disagree in some ways ... I've noticed differences between 3-6kWh/100mi consumption on the motorway with me driving exactly the same way ... ie. most efficient as possible around the 70mph with ACC off.

With ACC ON I've found this more like 1-2kWh/100mi.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,308 Posts
my experience is well in line with @GDank
With OPD off I’ve gotten 33kWh/100mi on the same route I previously got 36kWh/100mi with OPD Standard. And I have exquisitely precise ankle flexion/extension actuator control thank you very much.

I’ve also experienced that when coating at neutral per the gauge with OPD Standard, and then switching to OPD off, there’s a sense of release of braking and more free gliding. So even with apparent neutral accel/decel with OPD on, there’s probably some losses happening at all times. On the upside that’s room for potential improvement that could be addressed in a OTA update!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would be curious what Polestar (or any Electric OEM) would say is 'The most efficient setting' would be.. Regardless if we the consumer can produce similar results.

Maybe 'Most Opportunistic setting' would be more appropriate...

surely they are the experts..

·
Registered
549 Posts
Glad you asked. I posted this some time ago already: Intelligent Regen a Part of the New VW ID.4 | The BRAKE Report

"In the case of the new ID.4 electric compact SUV, Volkswagen opted for a different strategy: coasting takes priority because conversion of energy inevitably leads to losses. This applies to the D (Drive) position, the default mode, which is automatically activated upon start-up. "

q.e.d.

·
Registered
80 Posts
"Ideally, though, it’s best to learn to take full advantage of your EV, whether it’s a VW or not. The trick is to do as much coasting as you can safely do. Plan ahead, and let the skinny pedal off earlier when you know you’re going to have to stop at a red light. If you can’t coast, take advantage of regen using soft braking or the car’s “B” or “L” mode."

I'm glad safety is indeed a factor..

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I would be curious what Polestar (or any Electric OEM) would say is 'The most efficient setting' would be.. Regardless if we the consumer can produce similar results.

Maybe 'Most Opportunistic setting' would be more appropriate...

surely they are the experts..
It's really not anyone's particular experience or opinion that matters, even the manufacturers'. It's a physics problem that you can't override. Now if you want to assume that 1+1=3, then I can come up with a set of equations to justify just about any outcome you like 😉

·
Registered
80 Posts
some people prefer automatics.. some people prefer manuals.

I think manuals are more efficient... in the sense that I can choose to on the fly if I want to 'have fun', or drive it with some sense and restraint..

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
At risk of stoking fires... there is a minor safety improvement from OPD, or using a similar mode in cars that have it (e.g. 'B' in the Ampera). If you need to suddenly lift off the accelerator because some twonk has pulled out in front of you, the car's already decelerating sharply before you've even got your foot near the brake pedal. But in that situation, you'd hope that the somewhat over-zealous emergency braking system would have cut in anyway :).

121 - 141 of 170 Posts