Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
I had this error show up last night. All the keys worked, but the app was not connecting to my car. We have horrible cell service in my neighborhood - is it possible that the eCall error can come up when car does not have any cell service?

This morning, everything worked as it should and the error code was gone.
I jinxed myself - I went to my brother's office to show him the car, got out, locked the car. When I returned I couldn't use the PAK, the regular fob or my phone to unlock the car. Had to use the physical key to get in, and was able to get the keys to recognize in the cupholder, but now I can't lock my car now that I'm back at my own office. Argh! Support said to discharge the battery to 15% and charge to 90%.

Annoyed . . .

· Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Snow, Pilot
459 Posts
Unfortunately you very well may have to do the TCAM reset. Mine failed right after I got the car too -- may be that when we receive the vehicles, not all the little batteries are fully charged or something like that. Discharging and recharging most probably won't do anything.

Its not too bad to do yourself (12V/TCAM battery disconnect process - Ron Swanson method and the sticky thread).

I would call Volvo Palo Alto first (your nearest service center I think -- you are in Fresno right? You may be barely in the 150 mile service circle from San Jose, as they calculate miles from Space and not service center) and ask if they can send someone out. Chris heads up the Polestar service there and she's been very kind.

· Registered
52 Posts
Unfortunately you very well may have to do the TCAM reset. Mine failed right after I got the car too -- may be that when we receive the vehicles, not all the little batteries are fully charged or something like that. Discharging and recharging most probably won't do anything.

Its not too bad to do yourself (12V/TCAM battery disconnect process - Ron Swanson method and the sticky thread).

I would call Volvo Palo Alto first (your nearest service center I think -- you are in Fresno right? You may be barely in the 150 mile service circle from San Jose, as they calculate miles from Space and not service center) and ask if they can send someone out. Chris heads up the Polestar service there and she's been very kind.
I'm planning on doing the disconnect when I get home and have already printed out the process. Looks pretty easy. . .

I called San Jose Polestar and spoke with Chris - like you said, she was very nice. She said if the reset does not work, they'll tow it to the dealership.

Thanks for the advice!

· Registered
459 Posts
Sure :) Its easy ... the second time! You can't really see the rear 5V battery unless you tear out all the trim, but you don't want to do that, so getting the battery out is all by feel. Wear long sleeves too ... lots of things to scratch you up.

· Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the heads up - hopefully it's not too much of a pain
So I performed the TCAM reset and everything seems normal for now. Pretty easy to do with the awesome instructions, but with our high temperatures I still got sweaty. I was expecting the TCAM to be higher up on the c pillar but was pleasantly surprised when I saw that it was down lower.

Thanks for all the advice!

· Registered
459 Posts
That’s awesome. Good for you. Sorry you had to deal with this so soon after getting the car but should be smooth sailing here on out and if it happens again it’s a quick fix.

· Registered
52 Posts
That’s awesome. Good for you. Sorry you had to deal with this so soon after getting the car but should be smooth sailing here on out and if it happens again it’s a quick fix.
Yeah, my fingers are crossed. The funniest part was that I specifically drove to my brothers office to show him and his colleague the car and it gave such a horrible impression of the car. That freaking alarm is crazy loud.

At least it doesn’t have to get towed to San Jose.

I’ll just have to be sure to carry the physical key with me - especially on long trips. I really like the activity key because it’s so small. I think I’ll try to find a place on the car to hold the key blade so I can always get in. I’m assuming the PAK will still be recognized when placed in the cup holder

· Registered
459 Posts
Not sure if the PAK is recognized in the cup holder. when mine was stuck in front of hotel in Santa Monica for two hours (talk about good impressions) only way to move it was to put the key fob in cup holder. you can carry a metal key in wallet.

· Registered
Polestar 2
25 Posts
So I had this problem emerge yesterday morning - red sos message and eCall Service Required - plus loss of internet and call functions, and fobs not recognised by the car, but the phone app was able to unlock it.

What seemed to cause this ? for the first time since I received the car 6 months ago I decided to charge to 100% - came out in the morning and the above problems were the result.

After 24 hrs and me not doing anything except drive around the internet has started working again, connect function seems on again, but fob problem and error message still remains.

will try the drop to 15% and recharge to 90% solution to see if that helps.

· Registered
13 Posts
Same issue cropped up for me last week (2022 P2/Pilot/Plus received in February).

SOS eCall Service Required error message was the first indicator, every time I got in the car for a day or two. Then the keys stopped being recognized unless I put either the main fob or the activity key in the cupholder under the armrest - the app/PAK stopped recognizing any data from the car. I could drive, but I couldn't lock the car - the remote key fob buttons didn't work, PAK wasn't connecting, touching the door handles did not lock the car like normal, and with the hatch open, the close hatch button worked but the close+lock hatch button gave a beeping rejection and wouldn't close.

I decided not to wait any longer for a lower battery state of charge and risk this happening again when I have even less time to deal with it in the future, so called Polestar main customer service last weekend and was told this issue is an "automatic tow" and that I shouldn't drive the car anymore.

Credit to Polestar, they arranged towing promptly to the Los Angeles service center (aka Galpin Volvo in Van Nuys). However, the national help line couldn't tell me how long things would take and deferred to the service center, which was closed over the weekend. Because it was delivered on a weekend with no one there to receive, no one at the service center discovered it had been delivered until I finally reached a live person at the end of the day, after calling several times throughout the day on Monday. It's now close to end of day Tuesday and the only real information that I have is that they are "backed up" on Polestar service and it might be a week before they can look at the car. Wish I'd known that before agreeing to a tow to that location. I've been promised a loaner (more likely a rental car from Enterprise rather than a Polestar loaner that was promised during the sales process, but I can at least understand the supply chain/demand issues there...) but still no directions on how that will work.

· Registered
'22 Void I Performance I Plus I Leather
361 Posts
Same issue cropped up for me last week (2022 P2/Pilot/Plus received in February).

SOS eCall Service Required error message was the first indicator, every time I got in the car for a day or two. Then the keys stopped being recognized unless I put either the main fob or the activity key in the cupholder under the armrest - the app/PAK stopped recognizing any data from the car. I could drive, but I couldn't lock the car - the remote key fob buttons didn't work, PAK wasn't connecting, touching the door handles did not lock the car like normal, and with the hatch open, the close hatch button worked but the close+lock hatch button gave a beeping rejection and wouldn't close.

I decided not to wait any longer for a lower battery state of charge and risk this happening again when I have even less time to deal with it in the future, so called Polestar main customer service last weekend and was told this issue is an "automatic tow" and that I shouldn't drive the car anymore.

Credit to Polestar, they arranged towing promptly to the Los Angeles service center (aka Galpin Volvo in Van Nuys). However, the national help line couldn't tell me how long things would take and deferred to the service center, which was closed over the weekend. Because it was delivered on a weekend with no one there to receive, no one at the service center discovered it had been delivered until I finally reached a live person at the end of the day, after calling several times throughout the day on Monday. It's now close to end of day Tuesday and the only real information that I have is that they are "backed up" on Polestar service and it might be a week before they can look at the car. Wish I'd known that before agreeing to a tow to that location. I've been promised a loaner (more likely a rental car from Enterprise rather than a Polestar loaner that was promised during the sales process, but I can at least understand the supply chain/demand issues there...) but still no directions on how that will work.
I had the same bizarre issue happen this morning. Some days I have a bit of trouble with the LTE connection and it takes a couple of miles of driving before everything works correctly, such as my navigation or voice recognition for the radio channel. I got the display warning and the SOS light stayed on all the way to work. When I went back out this afternoon to move my car, the SOS warning light was off. I drove a couple of miles and nothing wrong. PAK and activity key both work. So maybe I just have a tiny, intermittent TCAM issue, or maybe just bad LTE in my area (I AM out in the countryside but usually get full signal strength indication.) Little "ghosts" like this are puzzling and annoying at the same time.:rolleyes:

· Registered
Polestar 2
25 Posts
So my issue was eventually resolved after a trip to the dealer - in for a few hours and rectified with a software patch - apparently it’s a known problem. No towing advice here in the UK - I was told by Polestar support to call my local dealer and get in the queue - took 3 weeks to get a slot.

6 days after this it was back in the shop with a propulsion warning message - ie drive carefully to nearest garage. Been there 3 days and yet to have a solution.

I’m calling it - my car is a piece of s.... I’m sure other people have had trouble free experiences - but 3 times to the garage in the first 8 months for different problems ? Nope - QC is just not there yet. Not worth the price they are charging.

· Registered
13 Posts
...SOS eCall Service Required error message was the first indicator, every time I got in the car for a day or two. Then the keys stopped being recognized...called Polestar...was told this issue is an "automatic tow" and that I shouldn't drive the car anymore....
UPDATE: Polestar Los Angeles handled this faster than originally estimated, fixed the issue with a software update. I didn't have an opportunity to talk with the service person in detail, but according to my paperwork, they "performed a battery reset and removed the TCAM fuse in order to communicate with vehicle. Found no related diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) or TJs (? technical journals?). Found software update available. Performed Total software update and reset DTCs. Part Number 32292674" (which thanks to another post in this forum I now know is not a physical part, it is the software update to address a Battery Energy Control Module recall).

· Registered
459 Posts
UPDATE: Polestar Los Angeles handled this faster than originally estimated, fixed the issue with a software update. I didn't have an opportunity to talk with the service person in detail, but according to my paperwork, they "performed a battery reset and removed the TCAM fuse in order to communicate with vehicle. Found no related diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) or TJs (? technical journals?). Found software update available. Performed Total software update and reset DTCs. Part Number 32292674" (which thanks to another post in this forum I now know is not a physical part, it is the software update to address a Battery Energy Control Module recall).
Thanks for posting -- I'm going in for the first service soon and plan to also have them do what they can to prevent more TCAM failures so will bring this info.

· Registered
2022 P2, PP, Magnesium
93 Posts
The dang “eCall Service Required” message is back for me. I was hoping 2.4 updates would fix the issue, but no luck. I guess I’ll have to make my 3rd service visit to fox this issue. Luckily it doesn’t seem to affect any of the car functionality. It is just annoying to dismiss the message each time I get into the car.

Anyone else get a more permanent fix for this issue yet?

· Registered
33 Posts
After a year of ownership, got the eCall Service Required message. Mine happened after the 12v battery died. This was due to using the climate control feature in the app to preheat the car and taking it for short distances.

Jumping the car didn’t help since the 12v battery was too low. Used a NOCO Genius 10 to charge the 12v battery. After 8+ hours, the vehicle was able to turn on. Then the error msg showed up. Did the front windshield defroster, 12v and TCAM battery disconnect and still got the error msg.

Reading various messages about this, I took the car for some long drives (90% to 35%) as the TCAM battery was also too low which would have triggered the error msg as GPS and LTE was working fine.

Today, took the vehicle for a drive and noticed the error message went away.

· Registered
2022 P2, PP, Magnesium
93 Posts
Mine is still popping up every time I get in the car. I took it in last week & service couldn’t figure out what is going on. I have an appointment next week for them to spend more time with it and potentially replace the TCAM altogether. The funny thing is that everything is functioning as it should. It is just the dumb pop up message that displays each time.

I guess the question is: If it isn’t “broke” should I have them fix it? I’m a little worried they muck around with the TCAM & create a bigger issue.

· Registered
33 Posts
Did the dealer confirm the TCAM battery is charged up to 45%? I found this article for other Volvos regarding TCAM battery:

if the TCAM module is suspect, then GPS LTE functionality would be broken.

Mine is still popping up every time I get in the car. I took it in last week & service couldn’t figure out what is going on. I have an appointment next week for them to spend more time with it and potentially replace the TCAM altogether. The funny thing is that everything is functioning as it should. It is just the dumb pop up message that displays each time.

I guess the question is: If it isn’t “broke” should I have them fix it? I’m a little worried they muck around with the TCAM & create a bigger issue.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts