Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an Audi e-tron, Volkswagen ID.4 and Jaguar I-Pace rival, the Polestar 3 electric SUV will get specifications that come close, like; 300+ miles of range, electric motors at every wheel, long- and standard range battery options (expect the Polestar 2's 78 kWh battery) and more.

Unfortunately, the Polestar 3 will not be a 7 seater, at best it will seat 5 comfortably. Volvo is however working on an all-electric version of the XC90 that already seats 7 and it will share a platform (SPA2) and technology with the sportier Polestar 3.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Unfortunately, the Polestar 3 will not be a 7 seater, at best it will seat 5 comfortably.
That’s the sound of a thousand suburban parents crossing this off the list

Edit: I just realized the Porsche Cayenne doesn't come with 3rd row option. And it sells. So to the degree Polestar can fashion themselves after Porsche I think it could work. But they have ground to make up.

For me, this is basically a non-starter. The only reason I'd get a giant 5m long SUV is to carry more people than what my Polestar 2 (or my $20-25k Camry...) could. I just don't see the point of this thing otherwise. But I'm also not the median consumer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where are you finding this data?
Its a mix of info I came across on Polestar 3 expectations along with my own take and backed by what the market wants. The Audi e-tron, Volkswagen ID.4 and even the Mustang Mach-E are all great examples of that and all sit in a key EV segment, one which the Polestar 3 will likely fit into. We also can't forget what Volvo is planning on for EVs and Polstar fits into that.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Won't the Polestar 3 just be an XC 40 in new cloths?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Its a mix of info I came across on Polestar 3 expectations along with my own take and backed by what the market wants. The Audi e-tron, Volkswagen ID.4 and even the Mustang Mach-E are all great examples of that and all sit in a key EV segment, one which the Polestar 3 will likely fit into. We also can't forget what Volvo is planning on for EVs and Polstar fits into that.
So it's your opinion based on others opinions and your speculation based on current market conditions....which is fine, but neither the title or your original post make that clear.

It's fun to guess, but let's not pass those off as facts in a world where fake news runs rampant.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
What the Polestar 3 just be an XC 40 in new cloths?
It’s supposed to be substantially longer (5m) and built alongside the BEV xc90 in the same factory. So more like a 2023 model year XC90 in new clothes.
And apparently its design is meant to follow the Precept’s design cues more, not the Polestar 2 as some renders have it.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Some details confirmed by Ingenlath.
Polestar 3 to be 2-row only. Fastback/coupe-style roof line. Single and dual motor options available. No real info on pricing yet. Should be out in some form by end 2022.

So thinking a fancy EV6 more than a sporty R1S.... in which case, is it basically the EV V90CC?? :unsure:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Too bad there was nothing said about predicted range. I know it's a bit early to give anticipated specs, but I'd at least like to know that there will be some improvement.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
like; 300+ miles of range, electric motors at every wheel, long- and standard range battery options (expect the Polestar 2's 78 kWh battery)
The P2 was supposed to get 275+ miles of range -- and look where we are. With the same battery the heavier P3 is not going to get close to 300 unless they have a huge motor efficiency bump.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The P2 was supposed to get 275+ miles of range -- and look where we are. With the same battery the heavier P3 is not going to get close to 300 unless they have a huge motor efficiency bump.
The Swedish firm says it will offer improved lithium-ion technology will be seen on its second-generation of electric cars, starting with the EV-only successor to the XC90 due to be seen next year.
By the third generation of electric cars due around 2025 Volvo says it will be able to further improve the range and integrate the battery pack into the floor of the car, using the cell structure to aid the overall vehicle stiffness.
Volvo is working with Swedish firm Northvolt on the technology, and it says that it is aiming to break the 1000 Wh/l energy density mark “later this decade”. Volvo also says that the battery cells it plans to build with Northvolt will be produced using entirely renewable energy.

So there will be some improvement, but we're apparently going to have to wait a while for major improvement. Certainly Polestar/Volvo are going to have to improve even in the short term to compete.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
The Swedish firm says it will offer improved lithium-ion technology will be seen on its second-generation of electric cars, starting with the EV-only successor to the XC90 due to be seen next year.
By the third generation of electric cars due around 2025 Volvo says it will be able to further improve the range and integrate the battery pack into the floor of the car, using the cell structure to aid the overall vehicle stiffness.
Volvo is working with Swedish firm Northvolt on the technology, and it says that it is aiming to break the 1000 Wh/l energy density mark “later this decade”. Volvo also says that the battery cells it plans to build with Northvolt will be produced using entirely renewable energy.

So there will be some improvement, but we're apparently going to have to wait a while for major improvement. Certainly Polestar/Volvo are going to have to improve even in the short term to compete.
Everyone is working on battery tech, and there will undoubtedly be huge technology gains. One of the most important will be sodium-ion batteries. They will be cheaper, more energy dense, less volatile, and more sustainably sourced. This is why people who think they want to keep their EV for 10+ years will be missing the boat. It will be like keeping your cell phone for 10 years. The tech is just moving too fast to not consider leasing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My cousin is retro-fitting old cars with Tesla motors, Leaf battery packs, custom controllers, Frankenstein-style.
If battery technology gets substantially upgraded in 5-6-7-8 years, I expect him to be able to swap my pouches for something else.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Everyone is working on battery tech, and there will undoubtedly be huge technology gains. One of the most important will be sodium-ion batteries. They will be cheaper, more energy dense, less volatile, and more sustainably sourced. This is why people who think they want to keep their EV for 10+ years will be missing the boat. It will be like keeping your cell phone for 10 years. The tech is just moving too fast to not consider leasing.
This is one of the reasons I'm in no rush to buy an electric. It's such a new technology that there will be rapid improvements for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
This is one of the reasons I'm in no rush to buy an electric. It's such a new technology that there will be rapid improvements for the foreseeable future.
Well, you don't have to buy it, you just have to lease it. Then you get all the benefits as they come, every 3 or so years. If you are waiting for an end-point, you'll be waiting forever.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, you don't have to buy it, you just have to lease it. Then you get all the benefits as they come, every 3 or so years. If you are waiting for an end-point, you'll be waiting forever.
My problem is that I'm a kayaker, so I need a roof rack.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
My cousin is retro-fitting old cars with Tesla motors, Leaf battery packs, custom controllers, Frankenstein-style.
If battery technology gets substantially upgraded in 5-6-7-8 years, I expect him to be able to swap my pouches for something else.
I have been hearing about people putting battery tech in old muscle cars. Very cool.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
My problem is that I'm a kayaker, so I need a roof rack.
I used the same roof rack for years with various cars. Just buy a Yakima/Thule and with each new car you only need new towers. The rest of your roof attachments stay the same.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used the same roof rack for years with various cars. Just buy a Yakima/Thule and with each new car you only need new towers. The rest of your roof attachments stay the same.
But I couldn't put a roof rack on a leased car, right? I've never leased, but I think that they want their cars back in perfect condition, and will charge for every flaw.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
But I couldn't put a roof rack on a leased car, right? I've never leased, but I think that they want their cars back in perfect condition, and will charge for every flaw.
Not at all a problem. I've done this with no issue. All leased cars come back with "normal wear and tear". Different companies do it a little different, but you get allowance for small chips in paint, small tears in upholstery, etc. without any charge. I take good care of my cars, but even with minor things like a little curb rash, I've never been charged a penny. You can investigate for yourself. And a good roof rack will leave virtually no marks on your car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts