Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find the speed limit reported by the car wrong most of the time to the point where it might as well be turned off.

I wonder if Polestar plan to fix this. I used to have the system on my Audi A8 and it worked fine most of the time (it still had some errors).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Does your XC90 get the variable speed limits correct?
It reads all road signs perfectly including speed limits and schools etc., picks up the variable overhead signs on motorways and there is always a speed shown on the dash and sometimes stacked ones where it shows one behind the other so you know a change is on it's way.

I've never seen it wrong on anything apart from when a stretch of road was widened near us and it increased its speed limit, now having an extra lane, but I've never updated the maps so it still shows the old road - I can download and update just can't be bothered.

So it seems to have all the speeds programmed in the map but then overrides based on what it "sees" as you drive along. I love it. I'm guessing but I assume the "seeing" is the same in the Polestar but the base speeds from Google incorrect?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
About 2-3 other threads on this. Hopefully a software patch in future will fix it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It reads all road signs perfectly including speed limits and schools etc., picks up the variable overhead signs on motorways and there is always a speed shown on the dash and sometimes stacked ones where it shows one behind the other so you know a change is on it's way.

I've never seen it wrong on anything apart from when a stretch of road was widened near us and it increased its speed limit, now having an extra lane, but I've never updated the maps so it still shows the old road - I can download and update just can't be bothered.

So it seems to have all the speeds programmed in the map but then overrides based on what it "sees" as you drive along. I love it. I'm guessing but I assume the "seeing" is the same in the Polestar but the base speeds from Google incorrect?
I don't think the seeing works correctly in the Polestar, I've passed many signs where it's read the wrong limit or just failed to read them.
The base map maybe also out of date in some cases, but it shouldn't matter in all but national speed limit zones (30, 60 and 70).

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is a real puzzle. If they are using google maps to show the speed why does the indicated speed vary between 60 and 70 mph on a 10 mile stretch of motorway? I know we drive under other A roads, which are limited to 60, but it changes even when there are no bridges. Hopefully Polestar will sort this out. It would only be a major problem if we were to use speed limiting settings with Pilot Assist.

·
Registered
227 Posts
And in the latest version you can’t turn it off... and if you try, it turns it back on again as soon as you start driving.... at least in my car

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
It's always done that. Whilst you can't turn it off, you can at least disable the audible warning permanently.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have folk been reporting this to Polestar CS? I had an email back to say it’s not an issue they were aware of...

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm curious if anyone outside of the UK has had issues? It almost seems like the wrong database is being loaded up in the car for you guys?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just posted on this topic here Speed limits: sign recognition or a database??

My theory is that it is related to National speed limit signs which are incorrectly programmed to 60mph only - there may be more than one issue but you can see from the video almost every time the national speed limit sign is detected where the speed should be 70mph - the car changes to 60 mph.

Take a look.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just posted on this topic here Speed limits: sign recognition or a database??

My theory is that it is related to National speed limit signs which are incorrectly programmed to 60mph only - there may be more than one issue but you can see from the video almost every time the national speed limit sign is detected where the speed should be 70mph - the car changes to 60 mph.

Take a look.
Mine does show 70 sometimes too, it seems a little random

1 - 20 of 40 Posts