Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PP constantly changes the speed limit indication on roads, incorrectly and without passing traffic signs.

For example on a straight and clear road / carriageway that has always been 60, it flicks between 60, 50, 60, 50, 40, 60 etc.. only perhaps 100 to 200m between changes.

it cannot be reading signs ... there are none. So it uses a database?? Which also seems daft because the road has only been one speed and the changes are too frequent?

But when it does pass a sign it changes immediately... so it does use cameras?? Me Perplexed.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It uses GPS and Googles map knowledge first but is then overridden by any signs on the roads.

Its know that its a bit buggy at times.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It uses GPS and Googles map knowledge first
Ah .... so I wonder if this is the speed limits google has applied to roads to calculate accurate arrival times... so slower where it expects traffic to be slow / congested etc.. I cannot believe google actually thinks the speed limit changes so much.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
It does on my road!

In the space of three miles, 35, 50, 40, 20 (if school zone is active), 40, 35.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It's utterly useless at the moment - constantly flicks between values and doesn't understand UK national speed limits.

It's the worst implementation I've had on any car. The price paid for reinventing the wheel instead of using an established system! Maybe it'll be fixed in a few years.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Makes you wonder if anyone from Polestar tested the car on British roads. Expected it to be up to speed as my £20k Honda Civics camera system works very well. Polestar your comments please?

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
898 Posts
On my tester in the US it was clearly broken. Consistently told me I was a good 20mph over, especially on the twisties and highways.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
On my tester in the US it was clearly broken. Consistently told me I was a good 20mph over, especially on the twisties and highways.
Well perhaps that will get resolved with an OTA update, eh? I suspect mine will have the same problem. (tsk, tsk)

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
124 Posts
So bizarre - speed sign recognition is one of the electronic bits that actually works properly on my Land Rover so surely Polestar can get this right 😁

·
Registered
71 Posts
Earlier this week I queried why the motorway speed limit seemed to be at 60 not 70 mph. Like the other contributors I could not understand where the data was coming from - map, sign recognition, space? I could not find anything in the manual to guide me on how to change it manually. It is obviously more efficient to drive at 60 rather than the speed limit (or accidentally more in these cars!) so it did cross my mind that Polestar were maybe trying to improve safety and efficiency. However, I got this response from Polestar support:
In terms of the speed limit recognition, we have had previous reports of this happening. In order to have this investigated, please let me know if you're happy to be booked into a retailer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Earlier this week I queried why the motorway speed limit seemed to be at 60 not 70 mph. Like the other contributors I could not understand where the data was coming from - map, sign recognition, space? I could not find anything in the manual to guide me on how to change it manually. It is obviously more efficient to drive at 60 rather than the speed limit (or accidentally more in these cars!) so it did cross my mind that Polestar were maybe trying to improve safety and efficiency. However, I got this response from Polestar support:
In terms of the speed limit recognition, we have had previous reports of this happening. In order to have this investigated, please let me know if you're happy to be booked into a retailer.
Ok good to know. I’m going to call Polestar on Monday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In Germany the detection is quite good. Right in 95% of the time the only thing that it wrongly detects as 70 km/h is the "unlimited sign" on Autobahn. Which is a white circle with two lines through.
The Radar Detection is not working either but those are not street signs :p.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ah .... so I wonder if this is the speed limits google has applied to roads to calculate accurate arrival times... so slower where it expects traffic to be slow / congested etc.. I cannot believe google actually thinks the speed limit changes so much.
I have used Google Maps for a while. It only recently (last year) started putting the speed limit on its display. It is normally quite accurate, though today was caught by a 60mph in a duel carriageway which should have been 70. I wonder if the speed limit had changed. Not driven that road in the last year. I also like how Google maps give your actual speed as well, so you can add a few mph over what the speedo says. My drive today was not in a polestar, just using my mobile phone for satnav.

Yeah, I notice the Polestar does pick up on the speed signs, so useful for the temporary speed limits, but it does get them wrong and misses the exit where the sign is low down on the ground

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I can't even figure out how to do automatic Speed limiter ... so I gave up anyway, as it told me the speed limit on the motorway was 60mph, or the time I said I could do 50mph in a 30mph zone. It's ignored now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts