Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth getting a steering wheel lock for the P*2? As well as being a visual deterrent, would it help lower insurance premium (UK)? Anyone recommend any good brands or will a bog standard Halfords lock do?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
664 Posts
Forgive my ignorance as a rural Americaine, but what do thieves do with cars when they're stolen? Seems like with modern GPS trackers, remote vehicle disabling, traffic cameras, and Big Brother it would be a pointless and short-lived effort to steal a car these days. Joyrides? Stripping for parts?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, just saw this disc lock in a YouTube video. Looks good. Was considering a wheel lock. They're cheap but probably quite effective. In fact a steering wheel lock and wheel lock sounds like the way to go. So many car thefts going on these days. I see at least one or two a week pop up on Next Door (app) in and around the area. Scary. No garage, sadly. Only driveway parking.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Forgive my ignorance as a rural Americaine, but what do thieves do with cars when they're stolen? Seems like with modern GPS trackers, remote vehicle disabling, traffic cameras, and Big Brother it would be a pointless and short-lived effort to steal a car these days. Joyrides? Stripping for parts?
Modem tracking does not stop them. My Jag had both in built tracking and the extra hidden one. The Insurance guy told me they probably loaded on to a truck with signal blockers. Took it to a shop and then just overwrite the in-car system with a "Factory" mode version of firmware - so all reset. Then took their time to scan and find the other tracker.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Modem tracking does not stop them. My Jag had both in built tracking and the extra hidden one. The Insurance guy told me they probably loaded on to a truck with signal blockers. Took it to a shop and then just overwrite the in-car system with a "Factory" mode version of firmware - so all reset. Then took their time to scan and find the other tracker.
Ah, so very sophisticated outfits maybe. I suppose then the cars end up being trucked to East Wawrizistan and resold abroad? Makes more sense. In my region of the US, this just isn't a thing (other than teenagers looking for a thrill).

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
It may ease up now they can't ship the cars to the EU so easily now ... who knows!

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
I had a Disklok on my old Subaru Impreza Turbo and the local scum didn't touch it. They nicked all the Vauxhall Novas in the area though!

The "dog leg" shaped clamps are hopeless and easily overcome so don't cheap out and get one of those. Diskloks are definitely worth it.

Generally high value cars stolen in the UK are driven/transported straight to a nearby shipping container and left there with the 12V battery disconnected until the tracking devices' batteries have gone flat. If no police turn up at that point, they're shipped mainly to Eastern Europe, or stripped there and then for parts. Sadly it's a very efficiently run business these days, particularly for 4x4s and German brands.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny - practically every website I've checked is out of stock (disklok). Halfords, Eurocarparts, and about eight other sites. Maybe a COVID related supply chain issue with the product? Who knows. Might have to find an alternative.

·
Registered
764 Posts
In Sweden there has been a rise in quick steal and strip thefts. They target premium cars at night, drive them to a nearby wood and immediately strip the car of its most easily sold and high demand parts. Items like screens and headlights, steering wheels. From start to finish they may be done in as quickly as half an hour. Most of the car is left where it is with many valuable but harder to remove parts. It's very disheartening to see photos of what they leave behind.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am thinking of getting one for my 2 delivered next week. Which size I should go for? Medium or large?

The product description says:

This Disklok is medium and therefore suitable for steering wheels 39-41.5cm. To ensure that this will fit your vehicle, please measure your steering wheels diameter, measuring from the outside edge to the outside edge across the centre line of your steering wheel.

But @GDank said the large will fit?

Not cheap but one of the best out there imho. I brought this for my Stinger and using it on my Polestar.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I didn't say the large would fit.... It was just the link I'd found 😉

Sorry for the confusion. Whatever Polestar say the wheel is I'm sure they are right.

Reactions: Abnerev

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Literally no shop within reasonable driving radius or online delivery has any stock so I got the cheaper option from Halfords. The XLock disk lock. Just under £40. Seems OK and very yellow! I measured the P*2 wheel and it works out to be a small for the XLock.

It's still quite large for the P*2 steering wheel so I had to add all the extra spacer stickers. I fitted it this evening. To get it on properly I had to turn the wheel slightly to the right so that I could get the disk on with the lock arm in the right position. It would appear to fit, just about, in the lower boot when not in use.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks @jupiterorbit! Glad that you have one fit!

Re the colour, pp will definitely match it perfectly 😃
Have the barley interior and bought this great steering wheel cover which matches perfectly.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LD2NN5D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 20 of 32 Posts