Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been wondering how the range will change in the warm weather, as almost all the driving thus far worldwide has been done in the winter months.

Here I present the data from today’s drive, which was notable for warm temperatures here in the American South. Temperature range on my drive was 72-75F (22-24C) which for some of our Scandinavian friends might approach Summer climate, and Spring weather for the rest of us.

I have a PS2 with the PP (20 inch Continental Sportcontact 6 summer tires). It’s Midnight color, so slightly faster than the other colors.

It was mostly highway driving, on undulating hills that characterize the southern end of the foothills of the Appalachian range here in the Southeast. Certainly not flat, but no major inclines. It was quite a breezy day, with average winds 6 mph (2.6 m/s) sustained and gusts to 18 mph (8 m/s). But it was a round trip. Roads were dry.

Battery topped up to 100%, but slowly on the AC charger (~9kW). I have no idea how warm or cool the battery was. Since it was warm outside I ran the AC on auto with temp set to 68-70F (20-21C).

90% of the drive on motorway, with ACC set to 75 mph / 120 kph (which by GPS is only 74 mph true speed).

RESULTS:

SOC: 100–>31%.

Calculated consumption in Wh/km was 227.5.

Calculated Spring/Summer range at 75 mph is approximately 200 miles (SOC 100–>0%).

EDIT:
I looked up Tesla Bjorn’s 120 kph data (on 19 inch summer tires at 20C) and he got 229 Wh/km which is remarkably consistent with what I got today.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I was getting 36-37 in winter! Although saying that I also never got below 35kWh/100 miles when it was 15deg weather! :unsure:

Also I'm not 100% sure, but sometimes the EU and US get different manufactures of tyres - that can make a difference. Also I believe the PP wheels lose a little ... the faster you got the bigger the % is.

·
Registered
P2, non-PP, Void, Tow Bar
12 Posts
I live in the UK, and drive P2 (non-performance). Yesterday I averaged 39.8kWh/100miles over 175 miles. 1c to 4c over the course of the day. I don't one-pedal drive. Mostly motorway at 65mph (I was aiming for efficiency!) with say 25 miles of town driving.

100% to 4%.

Should I be happy? For me, this is the maximum efficiency I could get as my driving really was textbook.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,755 Posts
I live in the UK, and drive P2 (non-performance). Yesterday I averaged 39.8kWh/100miles over 175 miles. 1c to 4c over the course of the day. I don't one-pedal drive. Mostly motorway at 65mph (I was aiming for efficiency!) with say 25 miles of town driving.

100% to 4%.

Should I be happy? For me, this is the maximum efficiency I could get as my driving really was textbook. View attachment 3419
What were your HVAC settings? Any stops along the way? Elevation changes? Any water/snow/ice on the ground?

It does seem that’s about the best one can do. Under a bit warmer conditions and doing that in one go with only seat/steering wheel heating on I got to 36kWh/100mi or 200mi total range.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Void, PP
72 Posts
That seems to be 30kwh/100km. Exactly what im getting now in the winter in belgium. So i guess a real range to expect of the car is around 300km, and not the advertised 470. Big difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What were your HVAC settings? Any stops along the way? Elevation changes? Any water/snow/ice on the ground?

It does seem that’s about the best one can do. Under a bit warmer conditions and doing that in one go with only seat/steering wheel heating on I got to 36kWh/100mi or 200mi total range.
Air con set to 22c, heated seats / steering wheel on medium / round trip and mainly flat. 3 noteworthy stops (1.5 hours each). Weather was damp, with some ligh rain on occasions. Typical UK winter!

I've only had the car two weeks.

Vegard seems to be pulling very similar figures but at higher speeds and worse conditions.... he wins! But how?!

·
Registered
2021 2
1,755 Posts
Air con set to 22c, heated seats / steering wheel on medium / round trip and mainly flat. 3 noteworthy stops (1.5 hours each). Weather was damp, with some ligh rain on occasions. Typical UK winter!

I've only had the car two weeks.

Vegard seems to be pulling very similar figures but at higher speeds and worse conditions.... he wins! But how?!
I think it’s the stops mainly.
During each 1.5h stop your battery starts cooling down towards the ambient frigid temp. Then upon starting and going the car heats the battery back up towards the optimum which I gather/guess is >20C. It takes a massive amount of energy to heat up the 800kg battery.
If you did it in one go like Vegard you would see lower consumption because the system doesn’t have the opportunity to cool down as much.

Notably every EV seems to have some of this. This could potentially get better with smarter battery management via a future OTA update.
And an ICE has a similar pattern too but you don’t notice it because the inefficiency of the ICE system overall outweighs these considerations.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Account for 4-5% loss just heating up the battery after a long stop, especially when its cold. so 15% loss for your 3 stops.

I have 6 miles to work so 12 miles a day. My range just doing my work commute is around 90-100 miles due to the amount of battery heating (battery probably doesent even get to temp by the time i get to work). But then on longer trips I can get around 240 miles using country lanes at 50-60mph.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Out of interest ... why are people having heated seats and wheel when cabin is set to 22deg? Even if just Level 1 heating? I've seen others post similar things too with running 22deg and all seats / wheel on for the whole journey. I normally have them at the start for 10min's while the cabin gets warm, but then I just turn them off.

Anyway ... heating will take 1.6kWh once the cabin is up to temperature ... but I've seen it take 7kW pull on the start up, hence why pre-heating is so important.

So if you drive for two hours that's 3-4kW min on heating the cabin, that's without heating the batteries too. For a 3 hour drive that's close to 10% of the battery just to keep everyone warm.

You should head over to the SpeakEV.com forums ... almost all new Car owners last year are posting on almost all car model sections complaining or questions, and all well below the recommended WLTP ranges. Learning Curve for new EV owners!

·
Registered
409 Posts
For me the cabin temp is generally set to 19-20c, I would only use a heated seat on a really cold start morning or after a cold race / from watching my Son playing football that I need to warm up from. And finally heated steering wheel - I have never had one before so have only used it twice. Each time I reckon I had it on for about 2-3 mins on the lowest setting and then switched it off and the steering wheel maintained heat for quite a while after. My teenage children loved the heated rear seats, but have only been in the car once. My wife hates heated seats (she always says it feels like you have wet yourself).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks all. I had a niggling worry that there was an issue with my individual car. But no! My car seems consistent with others. It will be interesting to see the change warmer weather brings.

Oh, that 175 trip cost me £7.59. The same trip cost circa £24 in my diesel XC60. Lovely!

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,213 Posts
. My wife hates heated seats (she always says it feels like you have wet yourself).
Which in itself is fine while it's warm. Quite cosy. Not so nice once it's gone cold. And you never truly get the smell out of a fabric seat.
I really liked that Mazda MX-3. Smallest V6 engine in the world.

·
Registered
813 Posts
It takes a massive amount of energy to heat up the 800kg battery.
I did a rough estimation some time ago:

Metals have a heat-capacity of 0.1-1.2 kJ/(kg·K). Assuming the battery as having 0.5 kJ/(kg·K) and weighing 500kg and ignoring heating the cooling/heating water and battery case, the energy to heat the battery by 10°(C/K) would be:

500kg * 10K * 500 J/(kg*K) = 2.500.000J = 694Wh

I'm actually surprised how low this figure is - the energy equivalent for ~2km in winter. Delivered in 8.4mins, assuming a 5kW HVAC and no heating of the interior.

Even with the estimate being off by a factor of 10, this still wouldn't cost more than 20km. Time would increase to ~1.5h, though and the cabin would still be cold.

Feel free to correct/improve.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Which in itself is fine while it's warm. Quite cosy. Not so nice once it's gone cold. And you never truly get the smell out of a fabric seat.
I really liked that Mazda MX-3. Smallest V6 engine in the world.
I will be interesting to see if the WeaveTech fabric shows it up ...

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,025 Posts
That seems to be 30kwh/100km. Exactly what im getting now in the winter in belgium. So i guess a real range to expect of the car is around 300km, and not the advertised 470. Big difference.
Just for info, it's 38.8 * 0.62 = 24kWh/100km.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Also there's heat loss, of course, and heating up the casing materials, Elop's packaging around the batteries, and then appurtenances such as mounts etc...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to duplicate from the ‘Android 10 thread’. I had Android 10 installed last yesterday. Anyway, the range has definitely improved for me. I can’t put a figure on it just yet, but I think will be around 8 to 10% like for like. I’ve very happy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts