Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, you read that right. Everyone else supplies a 32A Type 2 charging cable for being out and about, but Polestar provides a measly 16A cable. If you want to charge at 7Kw on a Type 2 post, you will need to fork out for a 32A cable.

Had this confirmed today by Polestar. I did point out this was somewhat below par...

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm pissed off I have to spend £160 on a 32A three phase cable ... as I don't really want 3 cables. I also want to use destination chargers a lot, which in the UK tend to be untethered 7kW.

I agree it's really dumb ... they should have just given us a 32A Three Phase to avoid all this. It's probably because a 11kw only needs 16A 3P cable ... but what about the US? They need up to a 48A for home charging.

In addition this could have been avoided if the ordering screen showed 7kW charging rather than just EU Code 3 Type 2 BS927827 .... which no one knows what they area.

But then if I'm ok spending £49k on a car, does £160 make that much difference?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah its a bit like when you buy a new apple laptop and have to spend hundreds of pounds on USB-C adapters.

I agree its a bit annoying, but yeah this is my attitude: whats another £150-odd! ^^ 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm new to EVs so still trying to get my head around charging. Can you guys link to the cable that you are thinking of purchasing. Will the new cable be used at home on an untethered charger as well as when you are out and about? Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm pissed off I have to spend £160 on a 32A three phase cable ... as I don't really want 3 cables. I also want to use destination chargers a lot, which in the UK tend to be untethered 7kW.

I agree it's really dumb ... they should have just given us a 32A Three Phase to avoid all this. It's probably because a 11kw only needs 16A 3P cable ... but what about the US? They need up to a 48A for home charging.

In addition this could have been avoided if the ordering screen showed 7kW charging rather than just EU Code 3 Type 2 BS927827 .... which no one knows what they area.

Yes, I think it is definitely below par. Could it be that three-phase is more common on the continent, and somehow they did not make allowance for the UK?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm new to EVs so still trying to get my head around charging. Can you guys link to the cable that you are thinking of purchasing. Will the new cable be used at home on an untethered charger as well as when you are out and about? Cheers
See Link Above for Cables.

I'll try and explain like this:-

Supplied Cables:-

13A UK Plug to Car Cable : Around 3kW.

16A 3 Phase Type 2 to Car Cable : Either at 3.6kW or 11Kw
^^ This is what is used from an non-tethered charger to your car. So at a hotel or train station etc.. or at home if you have non-tethered box.

^^ Non-Tethered charger (ie no cable already attached)

Each "phase" can carry 16A, so you either get just 3.6kW Single Phase or 11kW at Three Phase - most homes and "7kW" chargers are single phase. So you are only getting 1/2 the charge possible if you use the supplied Type 2 cable.

Buying a 3 Phase Type 2 to Car cable at 32A means you can use this for both Single Phase non-tethered boxes and Three Phase. It's overkill for the 3 Phase, but does allow a single phase to reach 32A (7kW).

See my link above .... but either pay £130 and carry 3 cables ... or pay £156 and only carry two.

Yes, I think it is definitely below par. Could it be that three-phase is more common on the continent, and somehow they did not make allowance for the UK?
Yes the rest of the EU mostly uses three phase chargers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
See Link Above for Cables.

I'll try and explain like this:-

Supplied Cables:-

13A UK Plug to Car Cable : Around 3kW.

16A 3 Phase Type 2 to Car Cable : Either at 3.6kW or 11Kw
^^ This is what is used from an non-tethered charger to your car. So at a hotel or train station etc.. or at home if you have non-tethered box.

View attachment 744
^^ Non-Tethered charger (ie no cable already attached)

Each "phase" can carry 16A, so you either get just 3.6kW Single Phase or 11kW at Three Phase - most homes and "7kW" chargers are single phase. So you are only getting 1/2 the charge possible if you use the supplied Type 2 cable.

Buying a 3 Phase Type 2 to Car cable at 32A means you can use this for both Single Phase non-tethered boxes and Three Phase. It's overkill for the 3 Phase, but does allow a single phase to reach 32A (7kW).

See my link above .... but either pay £130 and carry 3 cables ... or pay £156 and only carry two.

Yes the rest of the EU mostly uses three phase chargers.
This is really helpful many thanks. So if I want to charge from my untethered Zappi and untethered public chargers, I should just get a 3 Phase Type 2 at 32A, then i am covered for all eventualities without ever being limited in charging rate by the cable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks, for the info

Still have to take a couple of cables around. Would expect at campsites, or staying overnight at relatives to charge on the 13A cable.

That is what I will be doing from Monday when I take delivery of my car. Only just getting finding an electrician, I am in hurry at present as my milage is rather limited at present.

·
Registered
501 Posts
This is really helpful many thanks. So if I want to charge from my untethered Zappi and untethered public chargers, I should just get a 3 Phase Type 2 at 32A, then i am covered for all eventualities without ever being limited in charging rate by the cable.
Simple Answer : Yes.

Longer Answer: The other option is to buy just a single phase 32A for £40 less. But then you have to carry 3 cables (assuming you are taking the 3 Pin Plug version with you too).

I'm going for the 32A 3P here : EV Public charging cable | Type 2 to Type 2 - 3 Phase | 32 Amp | 22 kW | 5/10 Metre |
If I leave 3 cables in the car I know the wife will just pick the wrong one.

·
Registered
519 Posts
In the US the situation is completely different. For one we don't have public poles that we can plug into. Outside of your house you need to use a public charger that has a CCS or J1772 cable attached to it. For home charging we don't need 48A, though that gets you the maximum AC charging rate. And although no one has taken delivery yet, I'm willing to bet that the only cable provided in the US is an L1 charger that plugs into a standard 110v US outlet, which charges at about 4 mph.

·
Registered
418 Posts
In the US the situation is completely different. For one we don't have public poles that we can plug into. Outside of your house you need to use a public charger that has a CCS or J1772 cable attached to it. For home charging we don't need 48A, though that gets you the maximum AC charging rate. And although no one has taken delivery yet, I'm willing to bet that the only cable provided in the US is an L1 charger that plugs into a standard 110v US outlet, which charges at about 4 mph.
At the SF PopUp they have a 6-50 plug on the charger cable in the frunk (IIRC) implying L2 capability. Unfortunately forgot to check the Amp rating. Also would be better if they offered 14-50 instead.

·
Registered
519 Posts
At the SF PopUp they have a 6-50 plug on the charger cable in the frunk (IIRC) implying L2 capability. Unfortunately forgot to check the Amp rating. Also would be better if they offered 14-50 instead.
Interesting, if a little weird. They are implying you need a 6-50 outlet if you want to be able to use our car on day 1 🥴

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm curious how large this apparatus was. Was it just a cable, e.g. something Europeans use to plug into public charging posts, or was it an actual charger? Because a 240v/48A charger is not a small/light device.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm curious how large this apparatus was. Was it just a cable, e.g. something Europeans use to plug into public charging posts, or was it an actual charger? Because a 240v/48A charger is not a small/light device.
I really didn’t look too closely but it looked similar to Tesla’s version in size:

There were a couple plugs things implying you could switch out the plug as needed. These were more screw on than insertion (which seems more stable to me). I’m assuming the box of it knows how to handle 110-240V and overall the thing can handle high amps though all that is TBD.

If I get a test drive soon I’ll look more closely and report back

·
Registered
46 Posts
That doesn't mean anything unfortunately - that's the maximum rating of the plug. Doesn't tell you what the cable is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That doesn't mean anything unfortunately - that's the maximum rating of the plug. Doesn't tell you what the cable is.
If so, that would be very misleading labelling. The cable has a sticker that states 32A MAX. There is no amperage printed on the cable, but '5x6', and 6mm should be enough for 32A. I cannot test this myself, since I use 400V TN/ 3 x 16A charging.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That certainly is a 32A cable. Did that come as standard with the car or did you pay extra for it?

In the UK they are supplying a 3 x 16A cable (2.5mm)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Intriguing. This was the standard 4.5m cable supplied with the car, at no extra cost. Perhaps they were using whatever they had in stock for the first cars, or they have different default options, depending on the market/country. I do not know if the cable was packed in the car at the end point (i.e. Oslo), or came with the car from China.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts