Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks
I’m noticing a lot of clonking sounds from the OSR suspension area. Not consistent or regular and doesn’t appear linked to any particular activity ie: hard braking, cornering, acceleration etc. Just seems random and getting more frequent. Any ideas what it might be and is it a concern?
Thanks for any shared experiences or advice.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
OSR?

I did read one post where a PP owner had the Ohlins replaced.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, off side rear corner definitely. Sounds like a spring releasing and knocking on something.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Well what you describe sounds like the problem the other user had. I recall that they replaced the Ohlins and all was good afterwards. I'd call CS and see about getting it looked at.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. Mine has been a relatively good ride so far compared to many on the forum. I hope that isn’t about to change!! I’ll keep this thread updated for info.

·
Registered
629 Posts
On the other hand, perhaps I won’t bother!!
Not sure if you were taking offense or just joking, but no offense was intended I'm sure. Part of the fun of this group is learning other country's lingo. The offside rear semantics isn't used at all in the US so we all scratch our heads a bit (well, I did at least :)). Please do keep us posted - as a fellow PP owner I'm interested in your diagnosis!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Not sure if you were taking offense or just joking, but no offense was intended I'm sure. Part of the fun of this group is learning other country's lingo. The offside rear semantics isn't used at all in the US so we all scratch our heads a bit (well, I did at least :)). Please do keep us posted - as a fellow PP owner I'm interested in your diagnosis!
Quite right, no offense intended. Those who have been here a while will know that I take light hearted exception go the "offside" "nearside" terminology and point out out at every given opportunity. I had missed that you were a newer member and perhaps might not have yet got a feeling for the culture in the forum. That is my fault.

Reactions: Jeff_in_SF

·
Super Moderator
1,360 Posts
I had a noise coming from the rear of my car (on both sides) which I was absolutely convinced was coming from the suspension. It turned out to be some clips inside both C pillars.

As others have said, some folks have had dampers replaced as well.

Get it booked in!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I had a noise coming from the rear of my car (on both sides) which I was absolutely convinced was coming from the suspension. It turned out to be some clips inside both C pillars.

As others have said, some folks have had dampers replaced as well.

Get it booked in!
Was it a high pitched squeak over bumps? Like a squeaky dog toy? Mine has this sound sometimes, and it sounds like a suspension issue. Can’t hear if the radio’s on, so I usually don’t notice it. Also seems to maybe be intermittent, so I’m wondering if it’s temperature dependent.

·
Super Moderator
1,360 Posts
No, mine was a tapping / clunking noise. Was always triggered by the same external factors - eg., on the road near my house there's a corner with a poor road surface - it always made the noise in the same place. I have to confess I was dubious when the dealer said it was some loose clips, but true to their word, they replaced the clips and it was solved.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the front dampers replaced because of "clonking" sound. The new dampers are much better but that clonk is still there, but less. I expect zero suspension noise but in this car there is a tiny clonk in some situation when the suspension travels fast i.e. going out of a speed bump.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK so a quick update. Still clonking with definite sound of a spring being released, but much less often since I jacked the OSR (that's driver side rear in the UK or passenger side rear almost everywhere else!!) and removed the wheel to take a look. Nothing lose or obvious noted, but what a weird suspension set-up. Like nothing I've ever seen on a "normal" car. It's not bad or often enough to bother booking it into Volvo, but just trying to gauge if it's getting worse and it isn't.

BTW I didn't take offence, I just prefer it when forums are useful sources of info and help, which this one is. I hate them when they appear to be just a bunch of regulars taking the piss out of new or less frequent users, which this one sometimes does. The Fiesta ST forum I use is terrible for that shit. Rant over and I will keep using.

BTW2 - I love my car, despite all the relatively minor issues I've had. The only persistent annoyance is the occasional 4G dropout meaning no Google sat-nav.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had mine checked when I took it back to Volvo for the recent recall. They oiled the top of the shock on the rear offside and it has solved the problem.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts