Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks
I’m torn between the M3LR and the Polestar DLR. I prefer the design of the Polestar but like the tech of the Tesla.

What’s your feedback on the Polestar DLR how did you find the difference between both vehicles prior to deciding on the Polestar etc

·
Registered
108 Posts
Been driving 2 different Model 3 LR for the past 2.5 years and I just decided to ditch it and ordered a Polestar 2 LRDM. Only spent 10-15 hours driving the Polestar 2 so far but it is quieter, more comfortable and has a lot better build quality inside. I also don't think the Model 3 is cozy to sit in and I much prefer the cabin of the Polestar, and like you I prefer the design of the Polestar as well.

As for tech I am not sure I think the Tesla has better tech, it sure has a landscape screen and good video streaming and gaming capabilities but there's a lot of basic stuff that just doesn't work like auto wipers or auto full beams. The drivers display in the Polestar is a very good addition in my mind.

I would not get the brand new Model 3 right now since they removed radar, it means that the horrible auto wipers and auto full beams are turned on when activating ACC or Autopilot.

·
Registered
MY22 Pilot Plus LRDM on 20s, Magnesium
132 Posts
M3 was never on my radar, the looks instantly put me off.
Could be the best drivers car ever made, but if I had to look at it on the driveway every day, I'd have been an unhappy man

·
Registered
132 Posts
Are you leasing or buying? The lease terms on the Tesla are terrible and you cannot buy at lease end, which means that you take risk on any excess wear and you cannot buy/re-sell to lower your TCO for the lease term.

If Buying, the Teslas do extremely well on re-sale. I keep saying that they cannot sustain that, but they keep doing it year after year.

For me, I chose Polestar over Tesla for these main reasons:
  • Preferred Polestar aesthetics
  • Liked the balance of familiarity and tech in the Polestar; I didn't like that everything in the Tesla was controlled though the center console
  • Lease terms were WAY better on the Polestar
  • I live in Los Angeles and it seems every 5th car is a Tesla

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi folks
I’m torn between the M3LR and the Polestar DLR. I prefer the design of the Polestar but like the tech of the Tesla.

What’s your feedback on the Polestar DLR how did you find the difference between both vehicles prior to deciding on the Polestar etc
Well, in the States it’s a no brainer…with the $7,500 tax advantage to the P2, that gives them a sizable edge from the cost standpoint.

But putting that aside for non-US folk, the Tesla’s are cheaply made and the material used inside the car is a joke. It doesn’t have the fit and finish found in many European sedans. My Porsche dealership takes in a LOT of Tesla S and Plaid on trade-in’s for a Porsche. My SA was the first one to highlight how poorly made Tesla’s are.

As far as ascetics, inside and out, well, personal taste. I prefer the P2 looks a LOT more than Tesla cars. Call me old fashioned, but still enjoy/prefer a car that has a display directly in front of me…..the iPad sized display on both cars are nice, but neither car has the advantage as far as I’m concerned.

The slightly longer range of the Tesla means nothing to me. if it was 2X the range, that would catch my attention.

Finally, I preferred NOT to become one of Musk’s cult members (and yeah, many Tesla owners are cult like devotees). I actually like having a car, for now, that has limited notoriety. I’d prefer to fly under the radar. But that’s me.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Are you leasing or buying? The lease terms on the Tesla are terrible and you cannot buy at lease end, which means that you take risk on any excess wear and you cannot buy/re-sell to lower your TCO for the lease term.

If Buying, the Teslas do extremely well on re-sale. I keep saying that they cannot sustain that, but they keep doing it year after year.

For me, I chose Polestar over Tesla for these main reasons:
  • Preferred Polestar aesthetics
  • Liked the balance of familiarity and tech in the Polestar; I didn't like that everything in the Tesla was controlled though the center console
  • Lease terms were WAY better on the Polestar
  • I live in Los Angeles and it seems every 5th car is a Tesla

Teslas strongly retained their value for many years, but that is all starting to change (based on what my Porsche SA said they allow a tesla owner who wants to trade in their S or Plaid)…. due to a large number of other EV options that did not exist for Tesla since being introduced in 2013. As more buying options come to the market, and people have more choices than just 2-3 years ago, that will change the resale de-valuation for teslas.

I would also add that the Tesla now is starting to show their age, and badly needs more than a minor face lift. I predict the upcoming Polestar 3/SUV will destroy sales numbers for Tesla’s equivalent SUV (the Y)? IMO, the Y model is sooooo homely looking.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd rate the Model 3 as a far superior technical achievement and with high gadget factor from sentry mode to cough autopilot, summon, app availability, battery management, efficiency and more.

But...

I wanted a car. You know, to drive...safely. Having a dash console with speedo in front of me helps. So do normal buttons and switches - they require no thinking or taking eyes off the road. If I want to turn on the lights or wipers I don't have to look at a screen or hunt around. Same goes for just about all the major controls except climate. Seats are very comfortable, interior fit and finish is excellent, it's very quiet inside and the car handles quite well. My efficiency stats are normally far higher than ratings and reviews and slap on the tax credit we get in the states and it was a much easier decision that I thought it would be. One month later, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

·
Registered
2022 PoleStar 2 - Dual Motors - Void
409 Posts
I was originally in the market for a Model 3 Performance, but sitting in my friends, I just didn't like the over simplistic cabin, the seats, or the fact that most things are controlled by that big giant screen. Fit and finish was another issue, and lastly, there was a 6 month wait. Don't get me wrong, the M3 has a better drivetrain and battery pack and battery management, but once I was able to get a test drive and up close view of the P2 DM, I was sold.

The other thing I'm not a fan of is Elon's "I know what's best for you" philosophy. It's the same reason I prefer the OnePlus over the iPhone...I don't want anyone locking me into an ecosystem I have no control over

·
Registered
‘23 LRDM, Pilot, Midnight, Zinc, ordered 6/2022
76 Posts
I'd rate the Model 3 as a far superior technical achievement and with high gadget factor from sentry mode to cough autopilot, summon, app availability, battery management, efficiency and more.
You forgot the most important feature - fart mode! My brother-in-law was showing off his new Tesla and its farting ability. His wife rolled her eyes and said: “You can take the boy out of junior high, but you can’t take junior high out of the boy.” Looking back, I think that was the moment I knew I could never buy a Tesla.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My final comment on this topic: If you need to ask a bunch of strangers for buying advice, I’d say get the Tesla. The differences are right in front of you. Seems you are swayed by peer pressure, and upstart Polestar might not be right for you when your Tesla friends ask you, “what car is that”, or why that car, nobody’s ever heard of it?

You will sleep better knowing that you went along with the Tesla herd. Good luck.

234 Posts
Hi folks

Can I ask what "tech" you like more in the tesla? What does "tech" mean to you? Tesla battery and motor tech is always at the forefront, but as for the rest of the tech, it is vastly inferior in my opinion. And my opinion is not formed from a test drive or watching reviews (and I am frankly amazed that these obvious short comings on tesla are not discussed on most reviews). It is formed by owning and living with the tesla model y for 1 full year and my Polestar now for 5 months. I have written about Tesla's inferior tech many times, but I can copy and past it for you once again of you are interested.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi folks

I’m UK based and have had a Tesla 3 Long range for over 2.5 years now. It’s been a great car overall, but build quality isn’t the best (although mines a US build, apparently China built cars are way better)

Charge infrastructure is excellent when you need them, and the Tesla is fun to drive. I was all set on a Model Y until I drove it back to back with the Polestar, the Polestar absolutely blew me away! Amazing build quality, I like the more conventional dash layout and thought it drove way better than my Model 3 so I have ordered one with Performance and Plus packs.

You get bored of the Tesla interior very quickly to the point I think it now looks really dated in comparison to the Polestar.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My final comment on this topic: If you need to ask a bunch of strangers for buying advice, I’d say get the Tesla. The differences are right in front of you. Seems you are swayed by peer pressure, and upstart Polestar might not be right for you when your Tesla friends ask you, “what car is that”, or why that car, nobody’s ever heard of it?

You will sleep better knowing that you went along with the Tesla herd. Good luck.
My take exactly! The fact that he’s asking the question, tells me he doesn’t know why he would chose Polestar …… This car is NOT for him.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Call me old fashioned, but still enjoy/prefer a car that has a display directly in front of me…..the iPad sized display on both cars are nice, but neither car has the advantage as far as I’m concerned.
The greatest ruse Tesla ever pulled was convincing people the single display in the middle was a feature, not a bug. They sell it as sleek minimalism but it's clearly done to cut costs in production with no tech needs for gauge cluster and easier production of left and right hand drive. There is no driving advantage to it in any way, and the idea that a $75,000 vehicle would take the same cost saving measure as a Toyota Yaris (remember for years they had only a centre gauge cluster to keep it a super cheap car) is a dealbreaker for me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The greatest ruse Tesla ever pulled was convincing people the single display in the middle was a feature, not a bug. They sell it as sleek minimalism but it's clearly done to cut costs in production with no tech needs for gauge cluster and easier production of left and right hand drive. There is no driving advantage to it in any way, and the idea that a $75,000 vehicle would take the same cost saving measure as a Toyota Yaris (remember for years they had only a centre gauge cluster to keep it a super cheap car) is a dealbreaker for me.
Well there is an advantage in that you can make the dash a lot lower and have more glass in the front. Personally I see it as a negative since it makes the car feel like a terrarium where everyone can see you much more but my wife likes it because it means she can see the entire front end.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I prefer to have my car built by a car company that dabbles in software as opposed to a software company that dabbles in cars.

I have always appreciated Tesla for what they accomplished; they made EV's mainstream at a time when there was a lot of resistance to the idea... even more than there is today. Their drivetrain tech is good, but others have caught up in and in many ways surpassed what Tesla did (look at the drivetrain tech in the Lucid... it's really impressive!). In fact despite the Teslavangelicals statements the range advantage they get really isn't from the drivetrain tech but more because they go lightweight on almost all elements of construction and are absolute slaves to aerodynamics. That's the reason that even after this long the Tesla Model S looks virtually exactly the same from a shape standpoint; they don't want to mess up the aero. Thing is; aerodynamics alone do not translate well to good aesthetics in my opinion. I never liked the Model 3, and the Y looks like a Pontiac Aztek that someone left under a heat lamp. Don't even get me started on the X... the best looking car they have is still the S and that doesn't appear likely to change soon.

But despite the drivetrain the tech is actually pretty humdrum. Yes, they add "cool features" here and there like summon and the like but I'd challenge that these aren't really useful in the real world. The only use case I can see for Summon is having your car parked in a tight spot... where it's hard to open the doors. But even then it's of questionable value; I had a friend try to show off Summon to me and after the car had backed up about 4 feet it slammed on the brakes and wouldn't budge. We never did figure out WHY... it seems like it thought something was behind it and refused to budge after that. Personally I tend to park my cars further away anyway where other people don't... I've always done that but I also like to walk.

Anyway, I digress; once you strip away the marketing veneer the tech really isn't any better than what other manufacturers are putting on the road. The "Fully Self Driving" is a gimmick that's only really about as useful as regular Autopilot for most people's use cases, and regular Autopilot is in my opinion worse than our car's Pilot Assist.

For my part, I consider that one of the key elements of a car should be safety first... that's always been Volvo's mantra and as such I believe that carries over beautifully to Polestar as well. Tesla is and has always been a tech-first company... yes, if you want the coolest features first then Tesla's the way to go. But if you want an actual good car that is safe, fast, beautiful (subjectively) and fun to drive then the Polestar has it beat hands down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
No one has mentioned driving dynamics yet and at least the performance pack PS is so much better to drive at a bit of a hustle than the Tesla. The Tesla has about zero feedback through the wheel letting you know what it is doing. The only sign of wheel slip when cornering hard is the tires squealing. The vegan leather(vinyl or maybe corinthean leather?) seats have very little support and you slide all over the place. The PS cloths are much better in this regard. Steering wheel in the 3 felt cheap to me and it's the part you are ALWAYS touching so it should be nice.

In other regards the 3 has a lot better drivetrain. They are just more efficient at how they use power. The supercharger network is also a huge plus. If I was doing a lot of longer trips I'd suck it up and buy the Tesla begrudgingly. Besides those points though IMO the PS is leaps and bounds better everywhere else

1 - 20 of 124 Posts