Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
‘23 LRDM, Pilot, Midnight, Zinc, ordered 6/2022
74 Posts
For me, one of the most helpful ways to understand the difference is about the original vision for Tesla, which someone else on this forum has mentioned. Elon’s ultimate goal is to build a driverless car, which helps explain the way the car is designed - it’s not about the driver experience, it’s about being an efficient people mover. Credit to him for having more impact on the transition to electric cars to date than any other brand, and for making EVs cool. The Polestar has a completely different aspiration, in which the driver experience is central and fundamental. I appreciate what Elon’s done, but I’ll take the Polestar (if one happens to be available any time soon).

·
Registered
102 Posts
I prefer to have my car built by a car company that dabbles in software as opposed to a software company that dabbles in cars.

I have always appreciated Tesla for what they accomplished; they made EV's mainstream at a time when there was a lot of resistance to the idea... even more than there is today. Their drivetrain tech is good, but others have caught up in and in many ways surpassed what Tesla did (look at the drivetrain tech in the Lucid... it's really impressive!). In fact despite the Teslavangelicals statements the range advantage they get really isn't from the drivetrain tech but more because they go lightweight on almost all elements of construction and are absolute slaves to aerodynamics. That's the reason that even after this long the Tesla Model S looks virtually exactly the same from a shape standpoint; they don't want to mess up the aero. Thing is; aerodynamics alone do not translate well to good aesthetics in my opinion. I never liked the Model 3, and the Y looks like a Pontiac Aztek that someone left under a heat lamp. Don't even get me started on the X... the best looking car they have is still the S and that doesn't appear likely to change soon.

But despite the drivetrain the tech is actually pretty humdrum. Yes, they add "cool features" here and there like summon and the like but I'd challenge that these aren't really useful in the real world. The only use case I can see for Summon is having your car parked in a tight spot... where it's hard to open the doors. But even then it's of questionable value; I had a friend try to show off Summon to me and after the car had backed up about 4 feet it slammed on the brakes and wouldn't budge. We never did figure out WHY... it seems like it thought something was behind it and refused to budge after that. Personally I tend to park my cars further away anyway where other people don't... I've always done that but I also like to walk.

Anyway, I digress; once you strip away the marketing veneer the tech really isn't any better than what other manufacturers are putting on the road. The "Fully Self Driving" is a gimmick that's only really about as useful as regular Autopilot for most people's use cases, and regular Autopilot is in my opinion worse than our car's Pilot Assist.

For my part, I consider that one of the key elements of a car should be safety first... that's always been Volvo's mantra and as such I believe that carries over beautifully to Polestar as well. Tesla is and has always been a tech-first company... yes, if you want the coolest features first then Tesla's the way to go. But if you want an actual good car that is safe, fast, beautiful (subjectively) and fun to drive then the Polestar has it beat hands down.
What I am getting frustrated with is why there isn't a company that is doing both the software tech side and the hardware car side well? Why do I have to choose between getting the fun software things and getting a well built car?

Polestar/Volvo seems to be the legacy automaker that is investing most in it but honestly I think a portrait display with such large edges are not good enough in 2022, I want a larger landscape display so you can actually watch Netflix or something in the car but I don't want that to be the only selling point. There is no real downside to having the option to do things like that so I don't see why they aren't doing it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
You forgot the most important feature - fart mode! My brother-in-law was showing off his new Tesla and its farting ability. His wife rolled her eyes and said: “You can take the boy out of junior high, but you can’t take junior high out of the boy.” Looking back, I think that was the moment I knew I could never buy a Tesla.
BTW, can't you just ask Google to play a fart sound? Not the same, but similar enough for the humor value.

·
Registered
369 Posts
What I am getting frustrated with is why there isn't a company that is doing both the software tech side and the hardware car side well? Why do I have to choose between getting the fun software things and getting a well built car?
I would disagree that Polestar / Volvo aren't doing a great job with software. Remember that Tesla has had over a decade to get their software where it is today and I would posit that it's no more functional or better than what we have. We have bugs that are getting resolved albeit probably slower than some of us would like, but I'd also point out that EVERY EV has bugs right now... including Tesla! Most modern ICE vehicles have bugs as well, though obviously bugs in ICE software aren't quite as critical (usually) as in an EV where software is key to normal operation.

Thing is, 99% of the noise about bugs around here are centered around two things; the infotainment and the TCAM. We hear shockingly little about drivetrain bugs for an EV that's only been out for two model years so far and about to go into its third. Obviously drivetrain bugs are less obvious, and the obvious ones were fixed early on with the 2021's and early adopters. And while I'm not saying there are no bugs in the drivetrain software, the simple fact is that we don't have a lot of actual noise about cars becoming immobilized by a drivetrain bug.

Beyond that I can't really think of many infotainment bugs that have come up recently that couldn't be specifically app bugs. The Android OS seems pretty solid as a whole and it works admirably well for its use case... I literally can't think of many ways they could do it better except opening up to more apps, but some of that is the app developers rather than Polestar at fault. That will change in time as AAOS becomes more prevalent.

The TCAM bug? Yeah... that one sucks. It's horrific for those people who have repeated problems, but I'd say that given what I see no more than 5% of Polestar 2 owners actually have TCAM problems at all... if you have a problem it tends to be repetitive. I feel bad for those people, but for 95% of Polestar 2 owners the TCAM is never an issue... at least not that those owners can tell. In 9 months I've TCAM reset precisely twice... only one of which I can say was actually necessary (right after the 2.1 update). The other TCAM reset could easily have just been an LTE problem because my GPS was working fine. But as others have noted, Volvos are also having TCAM issues so this is probably a much larger issue that'll need to be resolved at service time. Or repaired as they fail. Given how much new technology is actually in our cars I'm actually surprised we have as few REAL problems as we do.

Polestar/Volvo seems to be the legacy automaker that is investing most in it but honestly I think a portrait display with such large edges are not good enough in 2022, I want a larger landscape display so you can actually watch Netflix or something in the car but I don't want that to be the only selling point. There is no real downside to having the option to do things like that so I don't see why they aren't doing it.
That's more of a sylistic choice given the constraints of the interior space. Additionally it was done this way in part to maintain the "family relationship" with the Volvo cousins where they have gone in for that vertical display style for a long time. The large bezels don't really bother me at all and I find the screen more than adequately sized for my use case. And here's the thing; in part automotive-grade LCD panels run a few years behind the sorts of panels you get in tablets and monitors because they have to be designed for a pretty harsh environment. You leave your laptop in a hot car too often and you're going to destroy its screen... automotive-grade screens are designed and manufactured MUCH more conservatively than tablet or laptop screens precisely because they have to operate in a much wider temperature and humidity range, and are expected to have a MUCH longer operational life; on the order of a decade or more. Given the constraints at the time of engineering the large bezels are probably a fundamental limitation of the actual manufacture of the screen that can't be worked around and Polestar (and Volvo) would have signed an agreement to buy a huge number of these panels probably 5-6 years ago given the time it takes to actually engineer and sell a car in bulk. You'll probably see better tech in the Polestar 3 and beyond, but it's still not going to be as "fresh" as the average consumer-grade panels you can buy at Best Buy precisely because they're engineered differently.

Tesla "cheated". They use a consumer-grade panel in their cars and it's bitten them in the ass. "Yellowing" issues and dead screens are all problems that Tesla forums are full of precisely because these screens were not engineered to run in cars full time for a long period of time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Another thing is form factor. The hatchback-ish design of the Polestar is far more useful for me. I considered the Y, the 3 was a non-starter(for me).
And another area where Tesla tech is outdated is braking - I can't believe Tesla has no blended braking, so you're more or less forced to use OPD if you want ANY regen. That's close to a dealbreaker for me too. Every other modern electric has proper blended braking, AFAIK.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would disagree that Polestar / Volvo aren't doing a great job with software. Remember that Tesla has had over a decade to get their software where it is today and I would posit that it's no more functional or better than what we have. We have bugs that are getting resolved albeit probably slower than some of us would like, but I'd also point out that EVERY EV has bugs right now... including Tesla! Most modern ICE vehicles have bugs as well, though obviously bugs in ICE software aren't quite as critical (usually) as in an EV where software is key to normal operation.

Thing is, 99% of the noise about bugs around here are centered around two things; the infotainment and the TCAM. We hear shockingly little about drivetrain bugs for an EV that's only been out for two model years so far and about to go into its third. Obviously drivetrain bugs are less obvious, and the obvious ones were fixed early on with the 2021's and early adopters. And while I'm not saying there are no bugs in the drivetrain software, the simple fact is that we don't have a lot of actual noise about cars becoming immobilized by a drivetrain bug.

Beyond that I can't really think of many infotainment bugs that have come up recently that couldn't be specifically app bugs. The Android OS seems pretty solid as a whole and it works admirably well for its use case... I literally can't think of many ways they could do it better except opening up to more apps, but some of that is the app developers rather than Polestar at fault. That will change in time as AAOS becomes more prevalent.

The TCAM bug? Yeah... that one sucks. It's horrific for those people who have repeated problems, but I'd say that given what I see no more than 5% of Polestar 2 owners actually have TCAM problems at all... if you have a problem it tends to be repetitive. I feel bad for those people, but for 95% of Polestar 2 owners the TCAM is never an issue... at least not that those owners can tell. In 9 months I've TCAM reset precisely twice... only one of which I can say was actually necessary (right after the 2.1 update). The other TCAM reset could easily have just been an LTE problem because my GPS was working fine. But as others have noted, Volvos are also having TCAM issues so this is probably a much larger issue that'll need to be resolved at service time. Or repaired as they fail. Given how much new technology is actually in our cars I'm actually surprised we have as few REAL problems as we do.
Yeah, I hope it gets better over time as more apps get approved but Polestar cannot blame developers. Tesla made the decision to make their own apps using the different services APIs exactly for that reason, they couldn't guarantee developers would jump on board from the start. Google or the auto manufacturers that are using the system should offer incentives for developers to support the platform, the app selection right now isn't great.

Bugs aren't the end of the world so I am not that worried about those, but given manufacturers have been able to look at Tesla for 10 years and look at what has happened with technology in general I expected them to come out ahead on the software side.

Tesla "cheated". They use a consumer-grade panel in their cars and it's bitten them in the ass. "Yellowing" issues and dead screens are all problems that Tesla forums are full of precisely because these screens were not engineered to run in cars full time for a long period of time.
The problem with yellowing was only there on the previous S/X, the Model 3 never had that problem. And since the Model 3 came out 2 years before the Polestar 2 did and was presented 3 years before the Polestar 2 was we can know the parts were available. It was a choice by Polestar to put the smaller screen in, it might have been due to cost reasons in keeping it more similar with Volvo but either way since I like tech it is a downside for me since it isn't as modern. The whole idea of the Polestar marketing seems to revolve around being more modern and not just market to older people like Volvo has done historically.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was able to drive a family member's 2020 TM3 SR for about 3 weeks and was absolutely in love with the vehicle, but I found a lot of deficiencies with the TM3. I'll list the deficiencies from my own experience, since i'm sure you're well aware of the benefits.

• Lack of directional air flow: This is huge if you have a wife and kids. My wife would complain that it's cold, my kid and i would complain that it was hot. There was no happy medium because she kept turning down the A/C, and we would complain. The TM3 also thought it was more important to keep my balls cool, and not my face.
  • Lack of gauge cluster: Center screen was cool but it got old fast and became a hassle to control things through the ipad
  • Lack of a physical key: locking/unlocking the TM3 is a nuisance with the key card. Non-issue if you're the owner using PAK.
  • Rattles Galore: I had to fix a passenger wheel well plastic rattle with foam tape. Shouldn't have to come up with Macguyver solutions
  • Poor fit and finish: Besides the noticeable body panel gaps, the rear passenger door metal accent just below the window was sharp when open. It cut my hand.
  • Cheap materials: That simple 1960's rearview mirror blows my mind given that this is an ipad on wheels that costs $50-60k+
  • Rusting rear hatch through the dampening rubber grommets, water was entering the trunk, trunk was all moldy.
  • Locked to their Tesla OS and apps.. Not having google maps is PAINFUL

Deficiencies aside, the Tesla convinced me it was time to go electric. The main reason why I didn't order the TM3 is because it is now a $62K CAD MSRP vehicle that is no longer eligible for any government EV Rebates in Canada. Paying full MSRP without incentives for a car with that many deficiencies and poor build quality was simply not worth it. On the other hand, the P*2 LRSM comes in at $54k CAD and is eligible for both Federal and Provincial EV Rebates, so this was the #1 deciding factor for me. I would have ordered an Ioniq5/EV6 or MachE potentially, but they all have a 1-2+yr waitlist. I ordered the Polestar sight unseen and without a test drive because it advertised an Oct 2022 delivery date, but i've since learned that is likely not possible 😥

·
Registered
2022 PoleStar 2 - Dual Motors - Void
399 Posts
Let me tell you guys one thing though, if you have ever driven or been a passenger in a Plaid, that is just an amazing car. You forget about the carbon trim pieces being loose and falling off on the door. You forget about the panel they put on that looks like someone stepped on that QA should have never let through. You forget about that stupid yoke, the fact that it doesn't use a signal stock and you keep fat fingering the wrong turn signal, it's stupid predictive gears....when you pass up that $2M Huracan that looks like its driving in slow motion, you forget about all that stuff and you forgive Elon for being such an a hole.

OK, rant over, back to Polestar! :p

·
Registered
2022 LR Midnight, Pilot+Plus+tow 19"+Nappa no-pp
127 Posts
I was in the same place M3 vs P*2 and we hired both of them and to see how they were in real conditions and not a 30 minute test drive. I bought a Hyundai Kona EV off plan in 2018 crikey what a POS SWMBO wouldn't let me forget that one so we had to be a bit more scientific about it this time.

We went for the P*2 the build quality was streets better. The car looks better to me that's subjective.

We knew we were charging at home 95% so the supercharger network was of less interest to the decision. But I would say having done a 2k mile road trip this year on one occasion we were across from a supercharger and watching folks pull up and plug in and it just happen didn't really make you feel great when you couldn't get the damn charge to start on what was supposed to be the most cutting edge chargers and finally did after a major faff and moving bays. Tesla really do have the edge on charging by a long way.

If you are only interested in efficiency then the M3 would be the winner, the M3 uses two different types of electric motor which they use under different conditions and bring greater efficiency. However the M3 does seem to leak so when it is parked up it definately eats electrons and not just on the sentry system which I wish the P*2 had. But in the P*2s defence it is rock solid, leave it parked with 60% and come back to it in a couple of days and it's still 60%. We are like most people the car spends a lot of time parked and we guessed they'd come out awash under those conditions.

In terms of ride I'd say the P*2 is much better than M3 but not as good as say an E-Class Merc.
At the end of the day only you know what your priorities are.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Yeah, I hope it gets better over time as more apps get approved but Polestar cannot blame developers. Tesla made the decision to make their own apps using the different services APIs exactly for that reason, they couldn't guarantee developers would jump on board from the start. Google or the auto manufacturers that are using the system should offer incentives for developers to support the platform, the app selection right now isn't great.

Bugs aren't the end of the world so I am not that worried about those, but given manufacturers have been able to look at Tesla for 10 years and look at what has happened with technology in general I expected them to come out ahead on the software side.

The problem with yellowing was only there on the previous S/X, the Model 3 never had that problem. And since the Model 3 came out 2 years before the Polestar 2 did and was presented 3 years before the Polestar 2 was we can know the parts were available. It was a choice by Polestar to put the smaller screen in, it might have been due to cost reasons in keeping it more similar with Volvo but either way since I like tech it is a downside for me since it isn't as modern. The whole idea of the Polestar marketing seems to revolve around being more modern and not just market to older people like Volvo has done historically.
bezels aside, Polestar’s setup with a beautifully rendered driver dash display and a portrait orientation center tablet offers much more utility and better human machine interface than Tesla’s cost cutting landscape orientation one center tablet.

it’s easier for humans of normal configuration to reach across Polestar’s center screen than Tesla’s to hit things on the fly.
it’s easier for humans to see critical information about the car’s status and nav info in Polestar’s driver dash display than looking to the near side of Tesla’s center display.
and Polestar’s voice assistant works much better than Tesla’s for filling in the gaps.

Tesla’s approach is more useful for using the tablet when one isn’t driving. Polestar’s approach is more useful for using the system when one is driving.
I think most drivers will actually prefer the system built around driving.
This is in fitting with Tesla engineering towards making robo taxis and transportation pods, while Polestar engineers towards making driver oriented cars.

·
Registered
102 Posts
bezels aside, Polestar’s setup with a beautifully rendered driver dash display and a portrait orientation center tablet offers much more utility and better human machine interface than Tesla’s cost cutting landscape orientation one center tablet.

it’s easier for humans of normal configuration to reach across Polestar’s center screen than Tesla’s to hit things on the fly.
it’s easier for humans to see critical information about the car’s status and nav info in Polestar’s driver dash display than looking to the near side of Tesla’s center display.
and Polestar’s voice assistant works much better than Tesla’s for filling in the gaps.

Tesla’s approach is more useful for using the tablet when one isn’t driving. Polestar’s approach is more useful for using the system when one is driving.
I think most drivers will actually prefer the system built around driving.
This is in fitting with Tesla engineering towards making robo taxis and transportation pods, while Polestar engineers towards making driver oriented cars.
While I agree the drivers display is a very good addition in the Polestar and helps a lot while using navigation I do not think the center screen and UI is easier to use to change things on the fly. I don't agree with them having a better human machine interface either, Tesla is using something we are all used to from our phones and tablets so it is something that you can just get. Hell I've used an iPhone or similar smartphone for 40% of my life so the layout is second nature at this point, the first time I was in a Tesla I could find everything directly.

I am not calling the Polestar way of doing it bad but for the Tesla system you instantly know where every setting will be because it is jut like any phone or tablet UI that you used for ages. They are different but at a similar level of course, I don't think it would have been impossible for them to make an interface that works for a landscape display. As for reaching I had to lean forward more in the Polestar to reach all of the screen since I had to sit further back due to the big center console and the dead pedal being closer to the driver, wouldn't say it matters either way though.

Something I am annoyed at about the Polestar system though is that everything is too big on the screen, they could have fit so much more on the screen and still have it perfectly readable. It would make it look less like a Doro phone then, that is one of my wife's biggest gripes about the infotainment system.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
While I agree the drivers display is a very good addition in the Polestar and helps a lot while using navigation I do not think the center screen and UI is easier to use to change things on the fly. I don't agree with them having a better human machine interface either, Tesla is using something we are all used to from our phones and tablets so it is something that you can just get. Hell I've used an iPhone or similar smartphone for 40% of my life so the layout is second nature at this point, the first time I was in a Tesla I could find everything directly.

I am not calling the Polestar way of doing it bad but for the Tesla system you instantly know where every setting will be because it is jut like any phone or tablet UI that you used for ages. They are different but at a similar level of course, I don't think it would have been impossible for them to make an interface that works for a landscape display. As for reaching I had to lean forward more in the Polestar to reach all of the screen since I had to sit further back due to the big center console and the dead pedal being closer to the driver, wouldn't say it matters either way though.

Something I am annoyed at about the Polestar system though is that everything is too big on the screen, they could have fit so much more on the screen and still have it perfectly readable. It would make it look less like a Doro phone then, that is one of my wife's biggest gripes about the infotainment system.
All I know is my own experience. We've probably anchored to the Polestar's way of doing things by now.
But having now spent quite a bit of time in Teslas as rentals and across test drives, my wife and I and our array of passengers (family, friends, work colleagues) have found Polestar's system more intuitive and easier to use for getting to what one might want.

Tesla's system looks more tech-y and futuristic. But getting to basic settings like charge limits, or wiper controls, or headlight settings, controlling HVAC, or switching audio sources, etc all was easier to figure out without looking at a manual in Polestar than in Tesla. And while the larger icons and text in Polestar might look cartoonish, they're fundamentally easier to hit and notice in a quick tens of milliseconds saccade than Tesla's 3 mm tall icons and with them putting info like the clock at the far top corner overlaid onto map graphical elements.

This is all further compounded it seems by the UI redesign Tesla just did which seems to by-and-large have pissed off many existent Tesla users, to the point that Teslarati even struggled to put a positive spin on it: Tesla’s V11 UI changes are receiving strong critical feedback from drivers

In either case, to each their own! It's a fundamentally subjective thing until an impartial 3rd party does a controlled study of ~100 uninitiated drivers trying to use either car and rating their experiences and reaction times.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The Tesla supercharger network is also a huge plus. If I was doing a lot of longer trips I'd suck it up and buy the Tesla begrudgingly.
Disagree. That use to be the case.

There are three things that have, and will continue to change this equation:

(1) With a $120 adapter (to fit the Tesla plug), I’ve read that anybody can use a tesla charging station in the US. As of the end of 2021, there were 1,200 Telsa charging stations in the US, though the number of stalls at each station varies widely.

(2) Charge Point has, in fact, the most charging stations in the US, although I have no idea what % are “fast charging” stations (I don’t know The numbers?. ChargePoint is the largest electric vehicle charging network in the United States, with over 30,000charging stations, as of Feb 23, 2022

(3) EA currently operates about 800 charging stations in the US, housing about 3,500 individual chargers with speeds ranging from 150 to 350 kW. Additionally, the company has already shared plans to double its charging network in the US and Canada by 2026, expanding to about 10,000 chargers across 1,800 stations.

IMO, I think the days of Tesla dominance in the EV sector are rapidly changing, and as such, I would not base any long term buying decision, regarding which EV I would buy, based on the historical availability of charging stations. For me, anyway, that would be a non-factor given the rapidly changing EV landscape.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thing is, Tesla didn't change anything. The 3/Y is still using a very similar monitor-grade panel for its display rather than a true automotive-grade one. We're still relatively early into the lifespan of those screens so we're probably now reaching the point at which we'll start hearing of issues. Already there's been a recall of Model 3's for screens that fail or just go blank due to overheat situations. The irony is while I don't know for sure the model number of the screen in the Polestar 2 (meaning manufacturer model #, not Polestar's or Volvo's) I guarantee you that it's a more expensive part than the screen in the Model 3 precisely because it's automotive grade.

And the worst sin in my opinion is that a failure of that screen is a legitimate safety concern since you can no longer see your speed. In that sense at least the Polestar 2 is over-engineered in that they only needed the auto-grade panel for the in-dash display and not the infotainment... but they went with auto-grade anyway. That's just nice attention to detail... something distinctly lacking from the Model 3/Y

·
Registered
345 Posts
I suspect that is a very easy fix with the next OTA update, if Polestar deems that to be something buyers want? TBD? But size/font is very much dependent on personal taste, and in particular, the median age, or demographics of the Polestar buyer, as compared to the tesla buyer. It would not surprise me to learn that the typical Polestar buyer is not as young and maybe not as tech savvy as the average tesla buyer? Don’t know? I do know that Tesla seems to want that Jetson futuristic look to their vehicles (eg, look at their hideous looking truck), which maybe (?) younger buyers prefer?….while Polestar still looking sleek, definitely does not deviate too far from the conventional/traditional look of a sedan, and in this case, a Volvo sedan. IMO, that’s what many older buyers, like me, want. I know Porsche, for example, has a median age for their buyer of around 52….and smaller everything on their touch screen is not always appreciated by many Porsche loyalists. I for one being one of those consumers who don’t like the new Porsche interface.

I will say, i really do like the “hey Google/Android” interface of the Polestar. I much prefer this to Apple or Alexa. But to each their own.

·
Registered
345 Posts
One of the best “safety features of my BMW M4 is the heads up screen. One of the worst safety features on my Porsche 911, is the absence of a heads up display. The less time/distraction away from being focused on the road, and what’s ahead of me, the better and safer driver I become. Period.

From a purely driving perspective, that’s one of my biggest criticisms of Tesla. At least the Polestar has attempted to keep some information directly in front of the driver, and not someplace else like what Tesla does.…poor driver ergonomics.

·
Registered
102 Posts
All I know is my own experience. We've probably anchored to the Polestar's way of doing things by now.
But having now spent quite a bit of time in Teslas as rentals and across test drives, my wife and I and our array of passengers (family, friends, work colleagues) have found Polestar's system more intuitive and easier to use for getting to what one might want.

Tesla's system looks more tech-y and futuristic. But getting to basic settings like charge limits, or wiper controls, or headlight settings, controlling HVAC, or switching audio sources, etc all was easier to figure out without looking at a manual in Polestar than in Tesla. And while the larger icons and text in Polestar might look cartoonish, they're fundamentally easier to hit and notice in a quick tens of milliseconds saccade than Tesla's 3 mm tall icons and with them putting info like the clock at the far top corner overlaid onto map graphical elements.

This is all further compounded it seems by the UI redesign Tesla just did which seems to by-and-large have pissed off many existent Tesla users, to the point that Teslarati even struggled to put a positive spin on it: Tesla’s V11 UI changes are receiving strong critical feedback from drivers

In either case, to each their own! It's a fundamentally subjective thing until an impartial 3rd party does a controlled study of ~100 uninitiated drivers trying to use either car and rating their experiences and reaction times.
Yeah it is all subjective, and sure larger icons are easier to hit than smaller but you have to draw a line somewhere, one large icon on the screen is the easiest to hit but we are not saying that is the way to go so we are just discussing where the line is. As for intuitive I understood the Tesla system directly when I got in it, it's just like a smartphone and you can pick up any smartphone and just understand it as well so it makes sense. I wouldn't say the Polestar is unintuitive though but I did have to look longer for settings since different settings are in different places, both are modern systems at heart just a bit of a different approach.

I loved V11 myself once they added in quick access to seat warmers and defogger and such again, they really made text and icons the size they should be when they shrank it down. Tesla was better than Polestar with the size of things even before but it became way better with V11. To me big text and icons doesn't look cartoonish but it doesn't look modern and tech-y, it makes things looks simplified like the Doro-phone that is made for old people that have trouble using technology, not that all old people have that problem but some do.

All in all I prefer the Tesla system for it's functionality in the software but I like that the Polestar has the drivers display which compensates a lot, I am sure I will enjoy the Polestar system but I will for sure miss things like having the option of watching Netflix or YouTube on a bigger screen if I ever end up having to wait somewhere.

Thing is, Tesla didn't change anything. The 3/Y is still using a very similar monitor-grade panel for its display rather than a true automotive-grade one. We're still relatively early into the lifespan of those screens so we're probably now reaching the point at which we'll start hearing of issues. Already there's been a recall of Model 3's for screens that fail or just go blank due to overheat situations. The irony is while I don't know for sure the model number of the screen in the Polestar 2 (meaning manufacturer model #, not Polestar's or Volvo's) I guarantee you that it's a more expensive part than the screen in the Model 3 precisely because it's automotive grade.

And the worst sin in my opinion is that a failure of that screen is a legitimate safety concern since you can no longer see your speed. In that sense at least the Polestar 2 is over-engineered in that they only needed the auto-grade panel for the in-dash display and not the infotainment... but they went with auto-grade anyway. That's just nice attention to detail... something distinctly lacking from the Model 3/Y
Well the Model S developed problems after 2-3 years and the 3 has been out longer than that so it looks okay, the first revision of screens for the Model S didn't yellow, the glue liquified and oozed out. They then switched to a new monitor that yellowed after 2-3 years instead of oozing out.

And as far as I know they are using a display with a more appropriate spec in the Model 3, they might have changed model now but when launched it used used the LG LA154WU1-SL01 from what I can find and that panel seems to be better suited to the higher temperatures.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 LRDM / Snow / Barley Nappa / Plus, Pilot, & Performance Pack / Trunk Mat / Towbar
170 Posts
Ever single friend I have with a Tesla has envy of my P2. They ALL complain constantly of the horrible build quality, rattles, paint issues, tech quirks (One friend has had his "Y" into repair the rear camera 4 times), etc. The two cars are two different approaches to the end result. Personally I prefer the P2 for its driving dynamics, overall advantage in build quality, fit and finish, and yes, tech! I personally do not need my car to make "Fart" noises??? I was 12 a long time ago.

Driving them both first should give you a really good seat of the pants feel as to which one suits your needs best. Do what makes you feel connected.

21 - 40 of 123 Posts