Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally was able to get a Model 3 test drive today and am able to compare it to the Polestar 2 I test drove about 2 months ago. Both were awd and dual motors. I came away from the P2 and couldn't stop thinking about it....the M3 I couldn't wait to get back in to my existing car.
So what did I like about the M3.....amazing handling and acceleration....great clarity of backup cameras and modern interior esthetics.
So what did I hate....almost everything else...
1)the paint quality is abysmal at best....there were dirt specks under the paint on every panel and not just on the M3 but also the model y's that were on display, there was also a lot of irregular orange peel that varied by panel and the front and rear bumpers seemed to be of an entirely different paint lot as they did not match...the car was white. (I noticed this at a car parked near my office as well). The P2 was nearly flawless in terms of paint quality and fit and finish.
2) The glass roof....ok this is a bad idea in any warm climate on any car. It was only 77 degrees and sunny and the M3 heated up like a convection oven..I had to keep lowering the temperature of the a/c during the 30 min test drive and finally settled on 65 degrees way cooler than my normal setting. I could feel heat radiating off the roof.
3)The seats in the M3 were firm but not nearly as comfortable as the P2 seats. I could not find a comfortable position in the M3 and the vinyl material got hot very quickly and was uncomfortable to sit in.
4) The voice commands in the M3 were AWFUL...I tried to turn on the radio and that was a success after 3 tries but I could not turn it off or use voice commands to change the station.....I can do this on a 7 year old Ford!!!! I asked the sales staff and they said that its isn't capable of doing that yet and should be part of an update. I also tried to navigate back to Tesla with voice commands and nothing. P2 was simple and worked every time.
5) The ride in the P2 was firm yet very pleasant, easy to drive and the power was great. The M3 the power was even better as was the handling but the ride was jarring and the car was very hard to drive smoothly...it was very jerky and suspension was rock hard. The wind and road noise was much greater in the M3 to the point it was annoying and would be hard to hold a conversation at speed.
Other things I didn't like were the smallish mirrors on the M3 and that it was lower to the ground. The rear visibility was better although not ideal.
This is only my opinion but I welcome any comments or questions. I currently have a LRSM Polestar 2 on order in snow.....now if it would only arrive

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
714 Posts
As you said, this is just your opinion, I can guarantee you somewhere someone would have a very different one. Everyone has one these day, especially as far as cars go.

For me personally (I had a chance to drive both M3 and P2), Tesla is just priced out of my car budget anyway, so P2 it is, regardless whether Tesla build quality sucks or their paint quality is much less desirable, or whether their car can do 0-60 in 1.5s with no rollout …. 😂

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm new to this forum, having just placed an order for a DMLR (is that the right nomenclature?) and of course we had the same choice. I've actually looked at Tesla's several times over the last few years, and have come to the conclusion that two big reasons why you'd buy one are for charging network and the onboard technology, take one or both of those out of the equation and there's much less of a reason to buy one. Just saying, as an EV novice.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm new to this forum, having just placed an order for a DMLR (is that the right nomenclature?) and of course we had the same choice. I've actually looked at Tesla's several times over the last few years, and have come to the conclusion that two big reasons why you'd buy one are for charging network and the onboard technology, take one or both of those out of the equation and there's much less of a reason to buy one. Just saying, as an EV novice.
I get it if you need the charging network, but the onboard technology I guess you mean Full Self Driving which is still far from what it is called....on the videos I was sent to view prior to test drive it says to treat FSD as advanced Cruise control and to always be ready to take over.

·
Registered
714 Posts
FSD = you sign up as human trial, after you pay them … 🙄 …. they should be paying you, instead. I often wonder how brilliant Tesla is, having people to trial their unfinished software, without having to pay the people. Where the hell did this go wrong … can anyone tell me? … 😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
5) The ride in the P2 was firm yet very pleasant, easy to drive and the power was great. The M3 the power was even better as was the handling but the ride was jarring and the car was very hard to drive smoothly...it was very jerky and suspension was rock hard. The wind and road noise was much greater in the M3 to the point it was annoying and would be hard to hold a conversation at speed.
Other things I didn't like were the smallish mirrors on the M3 and that it was lower to the ground. The rear visibility was better although not ideal.
This is only my opinion but I welcome any comments or questions. I currently have a LRSM Polestar 2 on order in snow.....now if it would only arrive
I agreed with your assessment completely. I first test drove a Polestar 2, and I was not completely impressed because I came from a Volvo and I was expecting a giant step upward in terms of driving experience.

I test drove a Model 3 two days later and I came to realize the night-and-day differences that you described.

I think the technology in M3 may be more advanced and less buggy than that in Polestar 2. However, driving a M3 is like driving a Scion XB with an iPad (am I too harsh?).

Long story short, I am driving a single motor Polestar 2 now, and I enjoy the ride every single day :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've not driven a Model 3, but every time I've sat in one it has felt like a cynical beancounter has extracted every ounce of quality they think they can get away with. It's a an appliance; automotive white goods. It's clearly been designed by people living in a California bubble without any concept of what it might be like to live with in a cold or wet climate.

That said, I really enjoyed my tests of the Model S. That feels more like a proper car with fewer compromises. The quality is still not as good as it should be for the price. I'd be happy to own one though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had two Model 3 test drives before I bought my Polestar. For me it is a car that wows on first impressions, but delve deeper and it has flaws. Ride quality, road noise, and steering feel were my main criticisms. The steering was the very first thing I noticed, it literally feels like it's connected to nothing. In the UK they stick a pre-planned route into the navigation, and you follow that. My route consisted of smooth dual carriageway and it handled that well, although road noise is obtrusive IMO. On my second test drive I diverted from the planned route and took in more challenging surfaces, and this really exposed the harsh ride. When you compare the weight of a Model 3 to most other similarly sized EVs, it's clear to see where they have made savings. It results in a car that handles well (albeit with no connection), but comes at the expense of many other things, not to mention the quality of the interior fit, finish and materials. In comparison the Polestar feels more mature and sophisticated, still with it's faults, but it's a far more rounded car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I get it if you need the charging network, but the onboard technology I guess you mean Full Self Driving which is still far from what it is called....on the videos I was sent to view prior to test drive it says to treat FSD as advanced Cruise control and to always be ready to take over.
Not really, that self-driving stuff I take with a grain of salt. I was thinking more about how well the cars tech is integrated and how it works with the charging network when planning trips. Everything I've read and seen suggests that's far more seamless in a Tesla than other EV's.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well think about it…it’s one car brand on one charging network of their own…it’s the easiest scenario to implement, so of course it’s the best right now, and will be for a few more years, I think,

·
Registered
PS2, Void, Dual Motor, Plus & Pilot
138 Posts
Coming from a dozen previous Mercedes cars I test drove the M3 before even hearing about Polestar. Both my son (who is also a multiple-Mercedes owner) and I were both amazed at the roughness of the ride. It was like there were no shocks on the car. For that reason alone, and not withstanding anything else the OP mentioned, we outright rejected the car.

Then we test drove a PS2. I went alone the first time and was very pleased with the ride and the comfort of the seats. I did have to turn off the regenerative braking for the sole reason I could not get used to it that fast.

For my 2nd test drive of the PS2 my wife came along. They had us drive one with the performance option. Both of us almost got sick. The ride was so rough I ended the test drive early. I do not know what setting the shocks were at. I then asked if they had a non-performance one available. They let us take out a loaner car. That test drive we really enjoyed.

Funny think is, I did a 2 year lease because I figured that within 2 years Mercedes will have an EV that I will purchase (I am not a S-class person and the EQS is all that is currently available.) Having the PS2 for about 6 weeks now, I am not sure if I will even go back to Mercedes. It will have to be something very special two years from now for me to go back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Was the M3 a performance model? Or just regular long range? I would imagine the performance have a firmer suspension.

I agree with the glass roof. I have talked to and test driven both cars. The sales always say, “the glass roof is great, it won’t get hot, well insulated” and in all cases I can feel the heat coming from the glass roof the moment AC is off.

the only reason I didn’t order the plus pack because of the glass roof. And then this year Polestar release a sunshade. I can’t tell how well it would work though.

buying a Tesla (for me) would be for the charging network, and the the fact that they didn’t take everything so seriously (games, fart mode, etc). And the fact that their tech is way way ahead of the competition (Tesla have a early start and aggressive development cycle). But I probably won’t pay for the FSD because first I am not THAT lazy (yet), second it’s not the Tesla that I worry about, it’s the rest of the people who think they know how to drive but in fact they shouldn’t.

with the current Pricing and incentives, I would go with P2 every time. BtwX around here in socal, the M3 is the new Toyota Camry, EVERYBODY is driving one. Well, I guess that means it good. And see them everywhere may or may not bother you. 😁

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was the M3 a performance model? Or just regular long range? I would imagine the performance have a firmer suspension.

I agree with the glass roof. I have talked to and test driven both cars. The sales always say, “the glass roof is great, it won’t get hot, well insulated” and in all cases I can feel the heat coming from the glass roof the moment AC is off.

the only reason I didn’t order the plus pack because of the glass roof. And then this year Polestar release a sunshade. I can’t tell how well it would work though.

buying a Tesla (for me) would be for the charging network, and the the fact that they didn’t take everything so seriously (games, fart mode, etc). And the fact that their tech is way way ahead of the competition (Tesla have a early start and aggressive development cycle). But I probably won’t pay for the FSD because first I am not THAT lazy (yet), second it’s not the Tesla that I worry about, it’s the rest of the people who think they know how to drive but in fact they shouldn’t.

with the current Pricing and incentives, I would go with P2 every time. BtwX around here in socal, the M3 is the new Toyota Camry, EVERYBODY is driving one. Well, I guess that means it good. And see them everywhere may or may not bother you. 😁
It was a long range AWD. I agree with you on the charging network...Tesla has the best for now.. I saw the new sunshade for the P2 but it looks like a cheap velcro in place add on. I'm sticking with the order for the metal roof. Yes here in Phoenix the M3 is practically the new Camry...they are everywhere....but I think they probably steal most sales from BMW and Mercedes. The M3 reminded me so much of my 2006 BWM 3 series....loud, poor quality and terrible A/C...everyone wanted one but I haven't a clue why.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't agree with you. the last few days here in Tucson have been 100 or close, i see no problem with the glass roof. the air worked great. Do you even have a polestar now to base your opinion on??

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't agree with you. the last few days here in Tucson have been 100 or close, i see no problem with the glass roof. the air worked great. Do you even have a polestar now to base your opinion on??
The Polestar kept the interior comfortable but I could feel heat radiating off the glass on an 80 degrees sunny day. Most of the plus pack were things I didn't want or need. I would so rather a sunroof than a glass roof...I use my sunroof a lot and will miss it. The M3 heated inside from the sun and the AC was not great....was only 77° out and I had to crank the AC to 65 and I was still sticking to the seats. I doubt polestar would have made a sunshade if there wasn't an issue noted by many others

·
Registered
514 Posts
New neighbor moved in two doors down. He has a model Y and an suv of some sort and a pickup. I asked him about his model Y and he said he is leasing it to see if he likes enough to buy one. And as is fairly typical he said he loves the performance, the tech and efficiency but that it’s put together pretty poorly. So he’s not buying. Didn’t have time to tell him about the Polestar 2. He was bringing home some take out and needed to get inside.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: glass roof, both are hot (don't believe the marketing) but I experienced much less of a baked top of head feeling in the P2 versus the M3. I think it was because in the P2 seating position my head was significantly further away from the glass. Looking forward to trying the sun shade.

Re: infotainment/tech, the M3 is superficially better and more feature packed, but I found it frustrating and on occasion just plain dangerous to drive with. The P2 on the other hand is a dream, big obvious buttons and controls, high contrast colors that are easy to glance at. And that's before you even get to the dedicated driver's display, which the M3 just doesn't have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As an owner of numerous M cars, seeing "M3" being tossed around so lightly makes me cringe. I don't follow anything Tesla. Do they honestly refer to the Model 3 as an "M3"? 😩

Otherwise, I appreciated your impressions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts