Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tesla might have been early to the game but Volvo has been in the automotive game for far longer and the Polestar 2 among other rivals from German, Japanese, Chinese and American brands will be out. For now I'll focus on the two titled. I have a feel these will be the most cross-shopped till I see what other brands have in store.

As it stands, here's what we know about the Polestar 2:
  • Direct rival to the Tesla Model 3
  • Euro MSRP: 40,000 Euros
  • Range: 500 km
  • Power: 400-hp

• Debut at 2019 Geneva Motor Show (March 2019)
  • Launches late 2019

·
Registered
18 Posts
Build quality is going to be vastly different between these two EV's. I'm sure you've noticed the panel gaps and paint issues plaguing ever newer Model 3's. Hitting their new production goals is only resulting in less QA.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Build quality is going to be vastly different between these two EV's. I'm sure you've noticed the panel gaps and paint issues plaguing ever newer Model 3's. Hitting their new production goals is only resulting in less QA.
Now Hyundai released the Kona Electric. I heard mixed feedback about their build quality but I'm willing to give them a shot. Design wise, its next in line from anything polestar to me at least.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tesla's days are finally numbered as of today's P2 announcement (46min video below) :D

Biggest takeaway for me is price. It starts out like the Model 3 from the low $40k (USD). If you want more, 310 miles of range for $11,000 less than a comparable ugly Model 3 is optional. At that price it still comes with AWD! On top of the fact its a better looking vehicle in every way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes the P2 competes with the Model 3 on paper, but I think they attract much different buyers. A lot of people are buying into Tesla for the technology and the incredible support and infrastructure that's already in place.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Things will really heat up now that pre-orders for the polestar 2 are going through especially now that the full configurator lauched and test mules are more visible. One of them in Sweden was shared by Volvo's exec in a video clip.
Even under all the camo it looks great among other every day Volvo's and IMO better than Tesla 3's
video:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Everyone is looking to Tesla as a benchmark since they've really been the key pioneer in the segment, but rarely does anyone cross shop domestic brands with those from Europe. Many of the initial buyers for the P2 will be existing Volvo customers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everyone is looking to Tesla as a benchmark since they've really been the key pioneer in the segment, but rarely does anyone cross shop domestic brands with those from Europe. Many of the initial buyers for the P2 will be existing Volvo customers.
I have actually see many first time buyers shop new Volvo's.
That should say a lot about Volvo's future if they keep this innovative streak up. I'm already seeing enough models from them to paint some great years ahead of sales.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now Polestar has come out to back its new small sedan as a great Model 3 alternative:
“I think the equipment, the fit, the finish of the car are exceptional,” Goodman said. “And I think it makes a wonderful alternative to the highly successful Tesla Model 3. Dimensionally, it’s pretty similar to a Tesla Model 3 and I think it creates an alternative and joins the competition in and around it where there hasn’t been much. We happen to believe it’s a great alternative, but I think that’s for the customer to come in and have a look and decide.”
“Nobody quite yet has been able to out-Tesla Tesla,” pricing and industry analyst at Edmunds, Jeremy Avevedo said. “Jaguar has had a full-electric SUV hit the market [the I-Pace[] and that’s kind of been met with lackluster demand. The Audi e-tron, as well, really isn’t getting close to the Model 3 as far as sales numbers. These vehicles that have been billed as ‘Tesla killers’ really haven’t competed with the brand as far as market demand and sales thus far.”
“Our research has shown time and time again that the people who are interested in electric vehicles, almost always have a very high-tech mindset,” vice president of industry analysis for AutoPacific, Ed Kim said. “Their interest in technology extends far beyond just the powertrain technology in the car … They’re total technology enthusiasts.”

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Given enough time I know Polestar can easily steal away Tesla Model 3 customers. Volvo/Polestar has the cash flow. Just a matter of seeing it invested and playing out over time. Already the P2 is winning me over.

·
Registered
92 Posts
One car you guys forgot to add is the upcoming Ford Mustang Mach E. That's a definite competitor to the Polestar 2.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I found this great photo on the Polestar Reddit page that shows the Model 3 and Polestar 2 side by side. The biggest standout is how bland Teslas designs are becoming.

Tesla Model 3 vs Polestar 2

·
Registered
356 Posts
a YouTube commenter posted this list of features on the P2 that are not on TM3.
Not sure about all the details - can all functions (e.g. regen braking setting) be voice controlled? and Apple CarPlay is still TBD.
Either way, pretty comprehensive!

Laurent Vitalis
For anyone interested in "in-depth" analysis, here's my own list of Polestar 2 features that are missing in the Model 3. If you want to compare, compare everything, not just the range and price.
- Hardware Driver
heads-up display
Hatchback trunk (easy access to boot, power-lift, foot detector)
World-renowned seats
Premium interior materials
Wireless phone charger
Proper exterior door handles
Proper interior door handles
Proper vents
Proper glove compartment
Proper auto wipers
Physical controls (Volume, Play / Pause, Front and Rear Defrost)

- Winter optimization
Heated steering wheel
Heated wiper blades
Framed windows (Doors you can open after ice storm)
Protected rocker panels and wheel arches
Weather-proof charge port
Headlights high-pressure washers
Raised ground clearance
Ski hatch

- Usability
360 cam view
Google Integration (calendar, etc)
Multiple waypoints navigation
Map displays all types of charging stations
All car settings can be voice controlled
Incoming messages can be read (text-to-speech)
Customizable main display
Big buttons and readable text
Speed limit sign recognition
Comes with free key fob
Rear passengers controls (heated seats, vents on/off)
Apple Car Play (i'm not interested but it's there)
SiriusXM

- Things I expect and will hopefully get
Drip-proof hatchback gutter
Proper paint job
Rugged undercarriage free of textile composite
Mature parts supply chain and service network / Short repair delays
Unflawed flash memory management

·
Registered
28 Posts
HUD?? not seen Polestar mention that.

What the Polestar also has that the Model 3 doesn’t:

BSD where it should be... in the mirrors, that is where you should be looking before changing lanes!
Ventilated seats (£5k option c/w beige nappa leather)
Pixel LED headlights.
Cornering front fog lights.
Dark tinted rear windows.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Now Hyundai released the Kona Electric. I heard mixed feedback about their build quality but I'm willing to give them a shot. Design wise, its next in line from anything polestar to me at least.
I've heard nothing but great thinks about the Kona EV. It's more entry level though... So I don't expect issues with it, but I wouldn't expect to be blown away by the interior materials etc.

·
Registered
423 Posts
So I've just ordered a Polestar 2 ... but I had been discussing the pro's and con's of the PS2 vs M3 for over a week. Here is my opinion.

Model 3

+Tesla Charging Network
+Range / Efficiency of Tesla's. (Long Range model around 250-270 real range)
+Bigger Boot and Froot/Frunk (UK/US ;) )

-Saloon boot opening being restrictive.
-Major Build Quality Issues.
-Lack of any reasonable local service locations.

Polestar 2

+Build Quality.
+A more Luxurious interior.
+Better looking car.
+A hatchback (even if total space is less - 30 years of driving experience I prefer a Hatch)
+3 Service Locations within reasonable distance (Assuming it's a Volvo Dealership)

-The UK charging infrastructure if not a Tesla owner.
-Less Range (Realistically could be as low as 220)

I'm a little OCD with Cars, so any panel gaps / imperfections etc.. would drive me nuts over time and we don't generally do anything more that 150 mile single trips. So we ordered a PS2!

I'll be honest ... if you do a lot of travelling I would recommend the Model 3 just for the Tesla Charging network - so awesome - but if you don't need it then I prefer looks, build quality, style, and a more practical boot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would seriously check out the servicing locations. It’s a shame there’s so much misinformation about this and I lay the blame squarely on Polestar. I read in several reviews that the car would be serviced at Volvo dealers. Untrue! I took the time to call the guy who was responsible for the US operations in Sweden. He was very clear that Poestar wanted to have cars serviced at distinct Polestar service centers, not Volvo. I asked where they’d be, but he had no idea.

It may be different in the UK and other countries, but servicing is a murky mess in the US. They did say they offer concierge service within 150 miles, but I don’t want my car driven by a stranger 300 miles round trip...especially these days.

So everyone should check this important information out. Where is your servicing dealer. This is a brand new car guys, you may well need servicing.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would seriously check out the servicing locations.
Thanks Ken, after I saw your post I did call my nearest dealership and they do services Polestar's. There are another 2 near me so I will check in time, but at least I know for now I have one.
Yeah, silly of me to assume .... should have checked.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's my list of pros for the model 3:
  1. Better and always improving self driving (at an obvious additional cost)
  2. Weighs around 400lb less
  3. Higher range
  4. Performance option that actually improves the drivetrain (the polestar 2's perf package is all tack-ons like brake calipers and different suspension)
  5. Supercharger network
  6. Sentry mode, dashcam and lots of other features
  7. Established software/upgrade support history
And pros for the P2:
  1. Better interior quality
  2. Better styling (IMHO of course) - this is for both the interior and exterior (I personally don't like the look of the M3 at all). I also prefer having a real dash display.
  3. Android infotainment - we'll have to see how this really plays out, but if I can run things like waze for navigation, integrate with other google services, etc. It also means that there's actual app market that 3rd parties can develop for (in theory)
  4. Hatchback with easier to use trunk space
  5. Still eligible for US federal rebate

1 - 20 of 50 Posts