Polestar Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here're my pros/cons of P2 vs TM3, IPace, and etron in case it helps others still on the fence. This is based mainly on reviews and a glance at one when it came through SF a while back. I'll hopefully see for myself in the next few weeks. Would be interested if folks think I'm off on any of this.
I'm settled on the P2 vs those, barring some deep discounts coming out in the next ~month until I need to finalize the contract.

Pricing: in my area the best deals I've seen (with incentives) have the TM3 LR at -$2.5k, IPace at +$5k, and etron at +$5k relative to P2, matching the varied options.
I haven't found the deals others have described on the IPace or etron.

Overall pros of P2 vs the others:
  • Android automotive - the best infotainment and human-machine interface and voice control per several reviewers. With app store and OTA updates promises to get better over time. Definitely better than etron and IPace, and supposedly better than Tesla too.
  • Subjective: better interior/exterior design overall. Midnight is a better blue compared to the others'.
Overall cons vs others:
  • Overall the smallest on the interior: rear bench headspace is cramped (seems fine for my family; we're not large); least interior cargo space; shortest wheelbase.
  • Some weird design nits: the whole center console seems not as practical - why the flared borders that eat into knee space? Why only one cup holder (center bin holder doesn't count)? Why piano black that will smudge up instantly? Why a bigger gear shift knob instead of buttons to then yield space for other things?
  • It's the first model of a new startup and we're already seeing some annoying issues that go with that like poor communication, a buggy web interface, and inconsistent details re pricing/leasing. I'm sure there will be car software issues; the question is how annoying and significant those will be and how quickly they will resolve.
TBD or not relevant to me:
  • Trashed Volvo dealer relationship in the US making servicing FUBAR. I will have a Polestar Space within 15-20 min drive of me so not relevant; but see how this is a non-starter for many.
  • Ride quality maybe too firm, but needs to be seen in the metal and with the base package 19" wheels and standard suspension.
  • Google privacy issues - not a big deal to me; I use Gmail, Google search, Google Drive, and Google Maps already.
  • China - also not a big deal to me. Each of the others have supply chains going straight through China - doesn't matter if final assembly is in California, Austria, or Luqiao. And I use a lot of Made in China products already. Don't want to get too political, but my country has its own issues around fascism, human rights, militarism, and imperialism.
P2 vs TM3: P2 is the better car interior/exterior design while TM3 has the better electric drive train (range, charging, etc).
Specific pros of P2 vs TM3 LR:
  • Interior designed for humans, not for eventual robo-cars - driver dash display, regular mechanical door handles that don't need after market stickers, etc
  • Better rear leg space with more comfortable under thigh support and hip angle.
  • Better noise reduction, esp on highway [Added in after initial post]
  • Build quality and interior that better matches the price point. I have a Camry that feels the same or more upmarket than the TM3
  • Better handling in the corners per reviews
  • Hatch making for more practical trunk space
  • More towing capacity (though I'd be hauling only a few bikes, within the capacity of TM3). Factory installed retractable tow bar an option on P2 not on TM3.
Specific cons of P2 vs TM3 LR:
  • Tesla leasing seems to assume higher residuals making TM3 even cheaper than net price suggests. [Though financing goes the other way with P2 having a 0% APR x 60 months option]
  • TM3 LR has significantly more range (seems +30-50 mi in real world) and the Supercharger network is still unmatched. Also, current charging curve for P2 seems limited, making for slower fill-ups. I will have home L2 charging so this would affect me at the most for net +0.5-1 hr extra time at chargers for maybe 2-3x longer trips per year. TBD if P2 gets better over time with software patches.
  • Autopilot is likely better adaptive cruise control/lane keeping than P2. Other features of autopilot or 'full self driving' are either imaginary or party tricks I wouldn't use.
  • TM3 LR has marginally more straight-line speed (but can't use it repeatedly...). Basically not relevant to me. <5 s 0-60 is plenty fast. I'd take better handling in the curves any day.
  • P2 transmission tunnel makes a less comfortable rear middle seat for adults; not an issue for me since we'd have a car seat there.
  • Elon Musk is a negative along the lines of China to us (cf "coronavirus panic is dumb" etc tweets).
P2 vs IPace: IPace is a larger and older-tech version of the P2 with a higher price tag.
Specific pros of P2 vs IPace:
  • Infotainment!!!! IPace system is years behind and you have to wire connect your phone for Car Play/Android Auto to compensate.
  • P2 launch edition base package includes many things (e.g. heated memory seats in front; heated seats in back; drive assist package; wireless phone charging; 360-cam; power lift gate; etc) that have to pay more for on IPace.
  • Smaller dimensions make for easier maneuvering around cities, cramped parking spaces, and on narrow hill trails
  • P2 adaptive cruise control and lane keeping is supposedly better than IPace
Specific cons of P2 vs IPace:
  • IPace is roomier with more rear leg/head space and the IPace (body without mirrors) is only ~1-2" wider.
  • IPace has a more practical center console design with larger storage bins, more cup holders, etc
  • Better off-roading (or TBD, hasn't been shown on P2).
  • Suspension that is likely comfier; certainly if spec-ed with air suspension system.
P2 vs etron: etron is a giant comfy SUV with older tech and is more expensive. P2 is a small sedan/hatchback with more up-to-date tech.
Specific pros of P2 vs etron:
  • Better drive handling, speed, maneuvering
  • Infotainment (not as big a margin as IPace, but still a margin)
  • Range is likely better on P2
  • Subjective: I don't actually want an SUV and prefer a sedan+hatch.
Specific cons P2 vs etron:
  • etron is comfier with likely better noise insulation
  • etron has much more cargo space and towing capacity
  • Similar pros/cons re size as IPace vs P2
  • Charging curve is higher on etron. Etron comes with 1000 kWh credit on electrify america. (But I see having to stop more often in the first place as more an issue)
Disclaimer is I need to see the P2 in the metal to see what its ride quality, build quality, efficiency, sound system, etc looks like vs the others.
But with all that I'm still good to go with the P2 given those price differentials.

[edited to add a couple things I forgot and typos]

·
Registered
84 Posts
One thing you absolutely have to include as a 'con' is the still unknown, but definitely sparse service facilities. They will not be using every Vovlo dealer, if any. Their concierge service offers 150 miles service to the facility (which shows how scattered these facilities are), but then you are giving a stranger your car to drive up to 300 miles round trip.

For me that's a huge drawback.

Edit: I see you did put it in the "TBD or not relevant to me". I can tell you this will be relevant to many. ;)

Now as for the I-Pace, although the infotainment system can be a bit laggy when changing screens, the audio is system is truly excellent. For me that's very important. I'll take the better audio over a somewhat laggy screen.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I posted this under the towing discussion, but also good to add here as if towing is important to you.

Polestar 2
£1,000 Extra
Can tow up to 1500 kg (3,300 lbs)
Noise load of 90kg
Tow Bar is Semi-electric**
**Note I assume they mean it deploys electronically but you have to manually turn a handle on it to lock it into place.

Tesla Model 3, Y, and X
£1,000 Extra
Can tow up to 910 kg (2,000 lbs)
Noise load of 55kg
Tow Bar is Manual

I-Pace
£1,720 Extra
Can tow up to 750 kg (1,650 lbs)
Noise load of 45kg
Tow Bar is Manual

Ford Mach E
£ TBC (Note only available as an option within the EU)
Can tow up to TBC
Noise load of TBC
Tow Bar is TBC

Kia / Hyundai
No model has a tow bar option nor can one be fitted.

Nissan Ariya
TBC

This was one of the main reasons we picked a Polestar over other options out there, as we needed a min 60kgs nose load to be safe, as we have 3 bikes and one is an Electric Bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just joined this forum. I'm a 2020 Ipace owner which I have leased. The P2 looks like an option after my lease is over. I could also buy my car at the end or lease a new one with the new infotainment system and a few other upgrades. Performance of the 2 cars is very similar on paper. Some thoughts:

Ipace

Slighly nicer interior? Better seats?
I prefer the screens/dashboard layout. Large screen separated from the dash looks funny to me in all the new EVs.
Bigger rear seat for my 3 kids.
Off road capabilities. Air suspension - not sure if P2 has this.
More interesting shape to me.
Dealership model of service.
2 cup holders - my wife will not like a car with one cup holder (is it true there's only one in the P2?)

P2

Smaller and easier to maneuver. The Ipace feels wide.
About $30K less without the performance pack compared to fully loaded Ipace
Better range - Cd is lower, frontal area smaller, not as heavy.
Faster charging - not really an issue for me given my use of the car.
Built in google.
Better battery tech? and electronics.
?reliability and service

Anyway I will follow this forum with interest. I suspect the P2 will sell well given the price and features offered.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just joined this forum. I'm a 2020 Ipace owner which I have leased. The P2 looks like an option after my lease is over. I could also buy my car at the end or lease a new one with the new infotainment system and a few other upgrades. Performance of the 2 cars is very similar on paper. Some thoughts:

Ipace

Slighly nicer interior? Better seats?
I prefer the screens/dashboard layout. Large screen separated from the dash looks funny to me in all the new EVs.
Bigger rear seat for my 3 kids.
Off road capabilities. Air suspension - not sure if P2 has this.
More interesting shape to me.
Dealership model of service.
2 cup holders - my wife will not like a car with one cup holder (is it true there's only one in the P2?)

P2

Smaller and easier to maneuver. The Ipace feels wide.
About $30K less without the performance pack compared to fully loaded Ipace
Better range - Cd is lower, frontal area smaller, not as heavy.
Faster charging - not really an issue for me given my use of the car.
Built in google.
Better battery tech? and electronics.
?reliability and service

Anyway I will follow this forum with interest. I suspect the P2 will sell well given the price and features offered.
Hey, welcome! Yes, like Gdank mentioned P2 has 2 cup holders in each row. The cupholder which is in the armrest cubby is a removable one if you need additional storage and happy with just one cupholder in the front. The armrest lid goes all the way back so you can still use both cupholders if you wish, however, you can't use the centre armrest for elbow comfort. The armrest slides too which is handy if you aren't using the cupholder. So overall not as straightforward as iPace but you do get 2 holders in row 1 too.

IPace is much wider (exterior dimension) than P2 and I'd say Android system in P2 should be more responsive with better UI than the Jag's infotainment system. Also you could get HUD as an optional fit in IPace but there's no HUD in P2 which I think it's a missed opportunity when even VW ID3 has augmented reality HUD.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The IPace isn’t that wide on the inside compared to how it is on the outside. If the available measurements are accurate the rear bench width of the P*2 and the IPace are about an inch apart at most.
But with the longer wheelbase there is more leg/knee room on the IPace.
And the design of the front center console of the P*2 is silly to me. The lack of an easily accessible 2nd cup holder is plain dumb. I suspect the designer got too in their head with the pretty gear shift (which is unnecessary on an EV - a button or dial is fine) and making the flared lateral edges (which constricts knee space) not realizing some people would actually not get the car because of a practical feature like a 2nd cup holder. Also: piano black; wtf.

That said the tech on the IPace already feels outdated. The P*2/Volvo level 2 driver assist is likely better and comes standard. Android automotive >>> Jaguar infotainment. We will see if the battery and drive train management and engineering is similarly better.

Really making the difference to me is that with matching similar kits, the IPace for me would be $5-10k more expensive than the P*2. For that diff I can deal with one cup holder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The difference in price here in Canadais more like $20k. If Prime Minister Justin has his way there will also be a luxury tax added in the future to vehicles > 100k. I find the tech in the Ipace is fine though I'm comparing it to a 2012 Landrover so dont know any better.

·
Registered
166 Posts
And the design of the front center console of the P*2 is silly to me. The lack of an easily accessible 2nd cup holder is plain dumb. I suspect the designer got too in their head with the pretty gear shift (which is unnecessary on an EV - a button or dial is fine) and making the flared lateral edges (which constricts knee space) not realizing some people would actually not get the car because of a practical feature like a 2nd cup holder. Also: piano black; wtf.
No doubt this is a big blunder. It's almost like the second cup holder was an after thought. Even though I drive solo 80% of the time, this is still going to be a constant annoyance. I'm willing to bet that the next gen P2 will fix this.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is funny how we view things and how that view can change.

When I initially saw the 2nd cup holder under the arm rest my first thought was "well that's dumb". I quickly moved on to "well I'm not giving up my arm rest for another cup holder, so me or the wife will have to go without". Now after 2 weeks of thinking about ... and 3 hours in the car today ... I'm at "meh won't be an issue, the 2nd one wasn't even used today".

However, I can see this being deal breaker for some people.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I must admit - I've never used the cup holder's in my car to either hold cups or bottles - I just don't tend to drink while I'm driving.

Having said that, one currently has a hand sanitiser in it - and the other one a usb-charging hub for the Dashcam, phone and iPad (rear passenger) - so they do come in handy. However, with the charging points in the Polestar I hope to retire that hub when I get a new car. 🙂

21 - 33 of 33 Posts