Polestar Forum banner
101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor Launch Edition 2021 - Void
736 Posts
As my company car would be running out of term next year, and the rules around having an EV company car would become significantly worse starting January, I have been looking at making my next car an EV and I haven't really every considered Tesla seriously. One of my colleagues has one, and it's fun to drive and they do really well putting all these little knick-knacks in there for owners, such as the gimmicks in the infotainment. But to me, it's just too ugly, the outside is weird looking and I really hate the 'minimalist' inside. Which in my opinion is not minimalist by design, but to save as much money as possible for their "cheap" (but not really cheap) alternative.

Now granted, I'm very biased as I've driven Volvo all my life (except for the current company car, but I was running into limitations in the budget), but not many cars are as well designed as Volvo, and now Polestar. Especially for the interior I do prefer the Scandinavian approach. I would just never feel at home in a Tesla M3.

Now that the Tesla network will be opened up to other EVs too, Tesla is losing that advantage as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love that most reviews compare the model 3 performance vs the P2. They're not the same. I see soooooo many Teslas is Southern California, it's almost nauseating. After riding in a couple Teslas and feeling their "quality," I opted for the car that felt the most refined - P2.

Yes, a model 3 performance will outrun a P2 performance, but that's not what the car is about. The Polestar feels like the more mature, elegant EV as compared to Tesla's "I want to be fastest, mind the gaps (in panels and quality)" type feel. I hope Polestar takes off - along with Rivian.

·
Registered
2021 PS2 Launch Ed | Midnight | non-PP | tow hitch | 19” | tinted | ceramic coated
177 Posts
I love that most reviews compare the model 3 performance vs the P2. They're not the same. I see soooooo many Teslas is Southern California, it's almost nauseating. After riding in a couple Teslas and feeling their "quality," I opted for the car that felt the most refined - P2.

Yes, a model 3 performance will outrun a P2 performance, but that's not what the car is about. The Polestar feels like the more mature, elegant EV as compared to Tesla's "I want to be fastest, mind the gaps (in panels and quality)" type feel. I hope Polestar takes off - along with Rivian.
this article is an interesting read - also confirms why I prefer Polestar and it’s Volvo roots as well

·
Registered
157 Posts
Am I a bad person if I ordered a TM3 to have something better to drive while waiting for my P*2?
A contributing factor to this decision was that I had to replace the battery in the Infiniti that I'm trading in, and at 19 years old, the cost of any repairs I do will not be recovered in trade-in value.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you're 19 years old and can afford a Tesla AND a Polestar, you are one lucky kid!

(Sorry, I'm a professor and, yeah, grammar.)
You've crossed subjects between clauses, Prof. El subjectivo numero uno of that particular sentence/clause is 'the Infiniti that I'm trading in', not 'I' The car is 19. I, OTOH, "will not recover" is the subject/verb of clause ni in that run-on sentence. (Mea culpa)
Me has got 3 more decades on my odometer than my car does.
Also, it isn't an "and", it be a Tesla THEN a Polestar.
:p

·
Registered
2021 PS2 Launch Ed | Midnight | non-PP | tow hitch | 19” | tinted | ceramic coated
177 Posts
If you're 19 years old and can afford a Tesla AND a Polestar, you are one lucky kid!

(Sorry, I'm a professor and, yeah, grammar.)
You've crossed subjects between clauses, Prof. El subjectivo numero uno of that particular sentence/clause is 'the Infiniti that I'm trading in', not 'I' The car is 19. I, OTOH, "will not recover" is the subject/verb of clause ni in that run-on sentence.
I was in the middle of typing a related comment and agree that the Infiniti is 19 years old (not to say the owner couldn’t be 19 as well).
Regardless, I like your style Rollermonkey… when faced with the decision to replace a 12v battery in a 19 yo ICE CAR, you decided to just buy an entire 75.0 kWh battery on wheels (TM3) while waiting for your Polestar.🙂

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Some folks with a Tesla Model 3 got rear ended and the car totaled within 6 months of getting the car.

They made $5k between what they paid for the car (all in) and what their insurance paid out because the market is crazy. Seems like a great strategy to have a temporary holdover Tesla while waiting to upgrade to the Polestar - the arbitrage profits would pay for one of the packs!

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
You've crossed subjects between clauses, Prof. El subjectivo numero uno of that particular sentence/clause is 'the Infiniti that I'm trading in', not 'I' The car is 19. I, OTOH, "will not recover" is the subject/verb of clause ni in that run-on sentence. (Mea culpa)
I refer you to Rule 11 of Strunk & White's Elements of Style, "A participial phrase a the beginning of a sentence must refer to the grammatical subject."

You have two sentences joined by a conjunction: "A contributing factor to this decision was that I had to replace the battery in the Infiniti that I'm trading in," and "at 19 years old, the cost of any repairs I do will not be recovered in trade-in value."

Thus, the participial phrase "at 19 years old" must refer to the subject which is "the cost of any repairs." So, technically speaking, I had it wrong, too, and the cost of the repairs would be 19 years old. That seeming unlikely to be your intention, the next available subject would be the "I" in "I do" which is where I attempted to point out what I found humorous.

In no way of analyzing this sentence is "the Infiniti" used as a subject. "The Infiniti that I'm trading in" is an indirect object. (The direct object is "the battery.") These are all parts of the sentence preceding the conjunctive and, therefore, the adjectival phrase cannot be considered as modifying them.

Thus, referring to Rule 20 (ibid), "Confusion and ambiguity result when words are badly placed."

But, hell, everybody knew what you meant, right? As that is the fundamental purpose of language, you were fine and I'm just being pedantic in a rather lame attempt at humor.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The words we type always make sense in our own heads, because we know what we're thinking... Other people typically are not gifted with that knowledge to help in deciphering what we end up actually typing out.

Anywho, Tesla claims prospective delivery between March 13th and 31st.
Polestar said January on the configurator, November 2021 on the deposit receipt, and then mid-May a few days later. Now it says June, so that's moving in the wrong direction.
I've actually also got an order for a BMW i4 placed, but I did that long after the pre-order deposit window closed, so it could realistically be over a year before that might get filled.

·
Registered
184 Posts
...Polestar said January on the configurator, November 2021 on the deposit receipt, and then mid-May a few days later. Now it says June, so that's moving in the wrong direction....
That is exactly what happened to me. Deposit placed in Dec 21 while online configurator said Jan 22. Receipt and online account said Nov 21. Then a week later it said May 22 in one spot and June 22 in another spot. I decided to buy a preconfigured on off the lot instead.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I will say this: At least Tesla and Polestar give you something that you can immediately see in the app which gives you a timeline of where the vehicle is, and when it should be ready. BMW gives you nothing for an indeterminate period of time before blessing you with a production number that can be tracked.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, the TM3 that I don't want has won the race to delivery. I got a VIN today, and should be taking delivery between the 8th and 12th. I don't intend on keeping it long, just long enough to trade it in when either the i4 or P*2 can be delivered. I couldn't even get a test drive in one, so at least it will be interesting.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Well, the TM3 that I don't want has won the race to delivery. I got a VIN today, and should be taking delivery between the 8th and 12th. I don't intend on keeping it long, just long enough to trade it in when either the i4 or P*2 can be delivered. I couldn't even get a test drive in one, so at least it will be interesting.
Congrats and good luck! I bet you find the TM3 is a great car.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts