Polestar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m in the test driving phase, looking to buy a BEV in February. I started with the PS2 yesterday, with the Kia e-Niro, VW ID.3 and a visit to a Mustang Mach-E coming up soon.

A few impressions. Overall, the Polestar is a very impressive car. I liked the level of finish and the general drive. Size is just perfect for my purpose. But there were a few 'but's.
1) Even after a 75km drive, I hadn't found a way to be completely comfortable in the seat. I thought that was very strange, as the reviews all point out how great they are. I found them rather hard and lacking side support. I played around with all settings including lumbal support. Any tips? The representative told me he could help me during a second visit, an invitation I’ll probably accept.
2) The range wasn't very impressive. After 75km of test drive, the battery was down from 100 to 70%. That would mean 250km. It was cold (3 Celsius) and most of the road was highway, so summer city range is most likely much higher. But I worry about holidays. It'd be nice to be able to do a rhythm of 250km, then a short break (15 min), then another stretch of 250km and a break of maybe 1 hour to get some food. How well does travelling work out?

Happy to see there's a couple of fellow Belgians on board!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hi @PeterL and welcome to the forum! I have had Volvos as my main car for many years and I love the seats. The Polestar 2's seat is very similar firm seat and a back that wraps you a bit. The lumbar support adjustment is nice also, but you have to futz with it quite a bit to get it in exactly the right spot - at least I do. The adjuster is fine, but it takes me a while to really feel if the change is an improvement. My first drive was 1100mi when I picked it up in NY and drove it home so I had plenty of time to experiment. The biggest improvement to me is the extension on the front of the seat that you can slide out. It's very nice support for my lower thighs. I'm tall and I move the seat all the way back and tilt the base of the seat back quite a bit so that support is very noticeable. I just wish I could raise it a bit more, but moving up also moves it forward, defeating the purpose. My Volvo does that also though, so it wasn't a surprise.

There are MANY threads here on the forum on range, in particular how high the consumption is on a cold day at the beginning of a trip. As the battery warms up, the consumption goes down. From what many folks are seeing, short trips can be as bad as 50kWh/100mi where longer trips seem to be in the mid to high 30's. As the weather warms I think we'll see better numbers. The biggest miss right now is the lack of battery preconditioning while on the charger. That is something I hope can be added with a software update.

Anyway, poke around here and use the search (top middle of the page) - I think you'll find lots of valuable discussions here that will help in your assessment.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi all,

I’m in the test driving phase, looking to buy a BEV in February. I started with the PS2 yesterday, with the Kia e-Niro, VW ID.3 and a visit to a Mustang Mach-E coming up soon.

A few impressions. Overall, the Polestar is a very impressive car. I liked the level of finish and the general drive. Size is just perfect for my purpose. But there were a few 'but's.
1) Even after a 75km drive, I hadn't found a way to be completely comfortable in the seat. I thought that was very strange, as the reviews all point out how great they are. I found them rather hard and lacking side support. I played around with all settings including lumbal support. Any tips? The representative told me he could help me during a second visit, an invitation I’ll probably accept.
2) The range wasn't very impressive. After 75km of test drive, the battery was down from 100 to 70%. That would mean 250km. It was cold (3 Celsius) and most of the road was highway, so summer city range is most likely much higher. But I worry about holidays. It'd be nice to be able to do a rhythm of 250km, then a short break (15 min), then another stretch of 250km and a break of maybe 1 hour to get some food. How well does travelling work out?

Happy to see there's a couple of fellow Belgians on board!
Welcome @PeterL , I am also in Belgium and maybe something that could relate to you regarding range: I am able to go to Paris from Brussels with only a 20mns stop mid-way at the fast chargers (time to stop get a coffe and relax a bit) without any stress regarding the battery. I started the trip at 90%, stopped after about 200kms at 33% recharged almost to 80% and reached Paris (actually about 25kms after Paris) at above 30%. So doing as you say is totally possible.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Polestar 2's seat is very similar firm seat and a back that wraps you a bit. The lumbar support adjustment is nice also, but you have to futz with it quite a bit to get it in exactly the right spot - at least I do. The adjuster is fine, but it takes me a while to really feel if the change is an improvement. My first drive was 1100mi when I picked it up in NY and drove it home so I had plenty of time to experiment. The biggest improvement to me is the extension on the front of the seat that you can slide out.
Hi Mick! You know, during the drive I was thinking the seat was a bit long to my liking. I completely missed the fact that I could've made it shorter. I've driven fully adjustable seats before, but not a lot. I think I should make it shorter and raise the front and see what that does. The lumbar is always a bit of trying to get it right in any brand. It's because your back starts aching a bit, then you adjust, check, and re-adjust. It's a pretty dynamic process.

I'm going to take up the representative in Brussels on his invitation for a second test drive and more in-depth explanation of a couple of features before I decide.

Welcome @PeterL , I am also in Belgium and maybe something that could relate to you regarding range: I am able to go to Paris from Brussels with only a 20mns stop mid-way at the fast chargers (time to stop get a coffe and relax a bit) without any stress regarding the battery.
Hi Fabrice! That's good to know. Nothing beats hearing the experiences of owners. If I check on A Better Routeplanner for a distant destination, e.g. Olsztyn in Poland (I've driven there in the past, distance 1300km), then the differences are rather explicit. Mach-E standard battery 6 stops 15h52m, extended battery 5 stops 14h32m, Polestar 2 5 stops 15h13m. I've actually adjusted their power consumption estimate towards a higher figure for the Polestar (based on EV-Database) and it's still nicely half-way between the two Mustang batteries. So that's reassuring.

BTW, for Paris, ABR says Mustang SR 1 charge 3h28, Mustang ER no charge (20% left) 3h08, Polestar no charge (limited to 120km/h, 10% left) 3h15min. I can imagine that's tight and arriving with a nearly-flat battery is uncomfortable when you have to search the hotel, so I would also take a break.

The price of the Polestar is like the RWD extended, or AWD standard Mustang, but it's configured like an AWD semi-extended battery :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Mick! You know, during the drive I was thinking the seat was a bit long to my liking. I completely missed the fact that I could've made it shorter. I've driven fully adjustable seats before, but not a lot. I think I should make it shorter and raise the front and see what that does. The lumbar is always a bit of trying to get it right in any brand. It's because your back starts aching a bit, then you adjust, check, and re-adjust. It's a pretty dynamic process.

I'm going to take up the representative in Brussels on his invitation for a second test drive and more in-depth explanation of a couple of features before I decide.

Hi Fabrice! That's good to know. Nothing beats hearing the experiences of owners. If I check on A Better Routeplanner for a distant destination, e.g. Olsztyn in Poland (I've driven there in the past, distance 1300km), then the differences are rather explicit. Mach-E standard battery 6 stops 15h52m, extended battery 5 stops 14h32m, Polestar 2 5 stops 15h13m. I've actually adjusted their power consumption estimate towards a higher figure for the Polestar (based on EV-Database) and it's still nicely half-way between the two Mustang batteries. So that's reassuring.

BTW, for Paris, ABR says Mustang SR 1 charge 3h28, Mustang ER no charge (20% left) 3h08, Polestar no charge (limited to 120km/h, 10% left) 3h15min. I can imagine that's tight and arriving with a nearly-flat battery is uncomfortable when you have to search the hotel, so I would also take a break.

The price of the Polestar is like the RWD extended, or AWD standard Mustang, but it's configured like an AWD semi-extended battery :)
I also use ABRP and I’ve changed the consumption to 270wh/kw just to be on the safe side. As you say, You can do Brussels-Paris is one shot but reaching there with 5 or 10% battery is really not something I want to try ;)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I also use ABRP and I’ve changed the consumption to 270wh/kw just to be on the safe side. As you say, You can do Brussels-Paris is one shot but reaching there with 5 or 10% battery is really not something I want to try ;)
270wh/kw do you mean 270/wh/km ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm starting to get fed up reading all the user experiences here and not having the car. I've booked a second test drive on the 29th, with a visit (without test drive) to a Mustang the day after. Should I visit Polestar ASAP, get the seats figured out, skip the Mustang and order a Polestar now?

See what y'all have done to me!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm starting to get fed up reading all the user experiences here and not having the car. I've booked a second test drive on the 29th, with a visit (without test drive) to a Mustang the day after. Should I visit Polestar ASAP, get the seats figured out, skip the Mustang and order a Polestar now?

See what y'all have done to me!
I ordered a Mustang but I canceled my order in September due to uncertainty in production an delivery. And I am happy I did. The P2 is much more a driver's car, more luxurious , better looking in my view and a more European type of car. The interior of the P2 is in my view nicer.
I understand from Dutch orders that there are still severe delays in production and the first ones are expected end of April , but these were ordered in Febr last year.

However if you prefer a SUV with more space than Mme could be a good choice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I went for my second test drive today, mainly to test the seats once more, I made sure the seat extension was all pulled back and did a drive of 50-60km. Having to leave the busy Brussels, I headed for the nearest highway to do some lazy ACC driving to see if I could get used to them. In the end, I more or less did. I think I’ll get used to them within a week or maybe two. But are the passenger and back seats as hard? I don't know what my wife and kids will think of them.

I have to say the huge bump between my seat and the passenger's was getting in the way sometimes. It's not the most open and airy cabin. It's pretty cramped and the comfort only goes so far in compensating for it.

My representative said next week, he'll have a leather version in. I can come in again to see if that suits me better. Maybe I can ask for a one year test drive and see what he says.

Oh, I also tested the sound system with the suggested equalizer settings and it sounded really good. The representative actually said the visitor before me also went straight to the equalizer and set it to the exact same settings! He also knew of the forum and really likes browsing here for straight customer feedback. Hi Jesse! 👋

When I was there, I took a couple of photos. They had a visitor in the show room: one of two Precept prototypes in the world. I couldn't sit in it, unfortunately. And it's all fake: it's clay with metal bolted onto it, with a 1,7kW engine just to drive it into the show room :ROFLMAO:

Enjoy the photos! But do give me your partners' and co-riders' impressions of the passenger and rear seats. Thanks!

Polestar Heaven!

Moon 19” (left) vs 20”

Precept in front of a 1

As you probably know, the doors open like suicide doors. The rear door is much wider than a regular suicide door and they open 90 degrees. That gives lots of space to get in and out together whereas with simple suicide doors, you're stuck fumbling around in a small triangle of floor space. The disadvantage is that you need over a meter next to the car to just open the doors...

The interior is mostly all fake, just there to give an impression, and I couldn't sit in it. But damn, it was sexy! It seems the reactions are sopositive Polestar might actually build it.
On the right, in the door just below where you would see the mirror, is a screen showing a camera image. Same for the rear view mirror as the Precept has no rear window! I asked about the redundancy there, because you don't want the camera to break and not to be able to see behind you, but there's no information about that yet. As for price, no info but we both expect it to be between the 1 and the 2, targeting the Taycan.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts
So, I went for my second test drive today, mainly to test the seats once more, I made sure the seat extension was all pulled back and did a drive of 50-60km. Having to leave the busy Brussels, I headed for the nearest highway to do some lazy ACC driving to see if I could get used to them. In the end, I more or less did. I think I’ll get used to them within a week or maybe two. But are the passenger and back seats as hard? I don't know what my wife and kids will think of them.

I have to say the huge bump between my seat and the passenger's was getting in the way sometimes. It's not the most open and airy cabin. It's pretty cramped and the comfort only goes so far in compensating for it.

My representative said next week, he'll have a leather version in. I can come in again to see if that suits me better. Maybe I can ask for a one year test drive and see what he says.

Oh, I also tested the sound system with the suggested equalizer settings and it sounded really good. The representative actually said the visitor before me also went straight to the equalizer and set it to the exact same settings! He also knew of the forum and really likes browsing here for straight customer feedback. Hi Jesse! 👋

When I was there, I took a couple of photos. They had a visitor in the show room: one of two Precept prototypes in the world. I couldn't sit in it, unfortunately. And it's all fake: it's clay with metal bolted onto it, with a 1,7kW engine just to drive it into the show room :ROFLMAO:

Enjoy the photos! But do give me your partners' and co-riders' impressions of the passenger and rear seats. Thanks!
View attachment 3289
Polestar Heaven!

View attachment 3290
Moon 19” (left) vs 20”

View attachment 3291
Precept in front of a 1

View attachment 3292
As you probably know, the doors open like suicide doors. The rear door is much wider than a regular suicide door and they open 90 degrees. That gives lots of space to get in and out together whereas with simple suicide doors, you're stuck fumbling around in a small triangle of floor space. The disadvantage is that you need over a meter next to the car to just open the doors...

View attachment 3293
The interior is mostly all fake, just there to give an impression, and I couldn't sit in it. But damn, it was sexy! It seems the reactions are sopositive Polestar might actually build it.
On the right, in the door just below where you would see the mirror, is a screen showing a camera image. Same for the rear view mirror as the Precept has no rear window! I asked about the redundancy there, because you don't want the camera to break and not to be able to see behind you, but there's no information about that yet. As for price, no info but we both expect it to be between the 1 and the 2, targeting the Taycan.
My wife is anything but shy and hasn't complained about the seats. She puts them on par with an old Volvo V40 we had and she loved that car so that's a good sign.
My kids are on car seats on top of seat protectors over the rear seat. They like the pano roof and seat ride height. But can't comment about the seats themselves. :)

Edit: I just asked her and she says she prefers the old V40 seats because they were softer, but the Polestar's are more adjustable which is nice. Either way, wouldn't say the Polestar's are uncomfortable or anything, just the old Volvo ones were comfier. She then told me to stop wasting so much time on the forum.

·
Registered
67 Posts

View attachment 3289
Polestar Heaven!

View attachment 3290
Moon 19” (left) vs 20”

View attachment 3291
Precept in front of a 1

View attachment 3292

View attachment 3293
To which equaliser settings do you refer to? I was searching for it in this forum but cannot find the optimal settings. I would like to improve the sound quality as I am not completely satisfied.
Thanks for sharing.

I have the car now for three days and I must say that it is a driver's car. Indeed space especially for your legs is sufficient but could be more.
Perhaps the MME or P8 offers more space. But the design of the P2, the interior, its quality and safety features are in my view much better.
Good luck with the decision!

·
Registered
67 Posts

View attachment 3289
Polestar Heaven!

View attachment 3290
Moon 19” (left) vs 20”

View attachment 3291
Precept in front of a 1

View attachment 3292

View attachment 3293
To which equaliser settings do you refer to? I was searching for it in this forum but cannot find the optimal settings. I would like to improve the sound quality as I am not completely satisfied.
Thanks for sharing

I have the car now for three days and I must say that it is a driver's car. Indeed space especially for your legs is sufficient but could be more.
Perhaps the MME or P8 offers more space. But the design of the P2, the interior, its quality and safety features are in my view much better.
Good luck with the decision!

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Ha! I had arrived at similar EQ settings on my own. Great ears listen alike? ('Wrote that to be funny. ' Don't claim to have great ears.)

Reactions: Mick
1 - 18 of 18 Posts