·
Registered
2021 2
2,397 Posts
In case you thought we’re alone in “expensive BEV with random rattles”:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah like all of you, I'm slowly going mad with the little squeaks. The weird thing is that the Volvo we own is tight like a drum and very quiet. I don't comment on here a whole lot, but there is a bit of public castigation that goes on when people express buyers remorse. I think this car is fun to drive, but I find myself making excuses for being let down in many areas. I'll probably trade mine in for another EV (now that I've tried I love this) when one comes a long that checks boxes that are left unchecked with this car. I'll probably have to up the price point by >50%, but would be glad to do so.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,397 Posts
Yeah like all of you, I'm slowly going mad with the little squeaks. The weird thing is that the Volvo we own is tight like a drum and very quiet. I don't comment on here a whole lot, but there is a bit of public castigation that goes on when people express buyers remorse. I think this car is fun to drive, but I find myself making excuses for being let down in many areas. I'll probably trade mine in for another EV (now that I've tried I love this) when one comes a long that checks boxes that are left unchecked with this car. I'll probably have to up the price point by >50%, but would be glad to do so.
I'm not at buyer's remorse. I still really enjoy the car and knowing what I know now and having taken an at least virtual look at the varied competitors that have come since, I'd still get a Polestar 2 today.

But, I don't think I'm going to again get an initial launch edition of a new model. Some of the less-than-ideal factors are intrinsic to the car/design (...center console...). But most of the ongoing issues are either software related as they build a whole new stack for these cars, or are related to build and supplier issues, including most of the squeaks/rattles (which are probably more notable in quiet EVs). And because it's a new model, the varied parts of the system don't know how to respond to each issue so you get frustrating "have you tried restarting things?" answers or just no answer from techs and the like. These things seem to affect all new models, even for 6-figure cars like the Taycan, and even for some cars that have been out a while (all Teslas, IPace, etron, Kona, Niro, Bolt...; per their forums) but they seem to be exacerbated by Polestar being a new brand trying to set up its operations kinda-sorta with Volvo, but not fully, because it's not a Volvo except for all the parts that are Volvo.

I guess it's been fun beta-testing things. But I've gotten that out of my system now with this car - not going to willingly do it again! I do fully expect them to iron out the remaining issues, and have a servicing plan in place for the places in N America not currently near a Space. So future owners should be good. Although I hope that timeline to being good would be faster....

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've been fortunate to date, very few issues with the car now 4200 miles in. Because so much is software, I do expect it to get better over time also. And I don't have to 100% depend on it as I have backups. So for me it's been a very good experience. I also have a proclivity to beta testing things - I've done it with lots of software and hardware over the years, and even with some products. The issues don't cause me much heartburn and I like providing information back to the "developers" and assisting to improve the product.

It's not for everyone though and yes I did spend a lot of money for the privilege of being exposed to flaws. I actually have been very careful with who I recommend the car to. Most of the people I know (family and friends) should wait 3-5 years to even move to a BEV, regardless of which one. I can count on one hand the number of people in that group I would have recommended the launch editions of this car to. I do think there are quite a few people, even here on this forum, that were probably not well suited to buying this car at this time. For me personally it was a good move and I'm glad I took the leap.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,712 Posts
I finally sorted out the last major rattle by using some of the anti-rattle tape on the plastic trim down by the fuse box where I had some dashcam wires still loose; somehow it had dislodged a bit of the plastic trim slightly as well. A couple of bits of tape in between the two plastic trim parts and now the car is almost silent!

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
My experience has been good so far and I definitely don't have buyer's regret. Given the choices becoming available, I'd spec the car the same as I have it, and the alternatives out there, though really good, do not attract me more than the Polestar, so I'm at peace... At least for the near term. I'm still enjoying each ride I take.

·
Registered
632 Posts
My car has been nearly flawless as a daily driver and the occasional weekend getaway car. In that respect I suspect I’m somewhat lucky. But I also expect that’s the typical experience of a PS2 owner, despite the collective experience on an enthusiast forum.

I didn’t want a Toyota or (even) a Volvo. I wanted a fast, exclusive, technologically advanced BEV sedan. I’m okay with new car/brand issues, but frankly, mine have been insignificant at worst and mostly absent completely.

I have a fast, quiet, comfortable car that very few others in the world (relatively speaking) and very few in my region/state have.

I guess my mindset and maybe experience has just been different from some others on the forum. I think a few rattles are fine. A few bugs are fine. Customer service from a 1 year old brand with no dedicated dealership network was not EVER going to be perfect. The fact that it costs $65k or £50k doesn’t mean a brand new vehicle will be flawless. Those who are expecting to get a “Lexus experience” just because of the price have misjudged this car and brand.

I think of it like owning a low volume bespoke collectors car, because ultimately that may be what it ends up being. A Lotus or Caterham or the like. I hope Polestar becomes the next Audi or BMW, but right now it’s not and we shouldn’t expect it to be. If you want one of those marks, go get one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm in the same boat. The buzzing is getting really annoying now. There is a stretch of rumbly highway nearby where I can consistently make this happen but no matter where I apply pressure, the buzz will not go away. I have tried the cowling, the fabric behind the steering wheel and even holding the insulation around the door.

It doesn't record too well on my phone but it is audible. The clearest one in this recording is at the 15s mark but if you increase the volume, you can hear it with most of the thumps after that time. Non-PP.
Driver-side buzzing
Another interesting observation is that I have not been able to hear the buzzing below 50mph even if I am on a bumpy road.

Does this sound like the other rattles that have been reported or is this something different?

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
My girlfriend says I need to chill out & accept that cars (yes even Polestars) make noises.
I found some felt backed tape shut her up for a while.
Where did you apply it?

Reactions: polerad

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Oh... So you're a "shades closed" sort of couple.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yea, the price point really hurts EVs when you look across the aisle at the ICE vehicles that cost the same and are solid as a rock. As battery costs drop we'll probably get some parity, but I am a little wary that we'll just get used to paying more and the costs of "luxury" will just shift up another $20-30K.

It's admirable that Polestar made such a significant leap over Tesla (which are built like $20K cars) at nearly the same price point, but mine does creak and groan a little when the chassis flexes. I'm certainly more accepting of it because compared to my last car even the cheapest materials feel like they were built by master elven crafts...elves, but I appreciate wanting something more solid. :)

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
759 Posts
Found another issue yesterday, tracked it down to the passenger side b column plastic cover.

A while ago I pressed firmly on the driver side one and apparently one clip wasn’t in place and clicked in fixing the noise coming from there.

I spent some time on the passenger side and noticed that one of the points were a clip should be didn’t feel right, so I removed it and noticed it was bent badly to the side, probably due to being pushed at the factory while misaligned so never made it in the slot it should have gone in.

Nothing I couldn’t fix with a pair of pliers, and once it was looking reasonably similar to an undamaged one it went back in and clicked into place.

There’s an infrequent low volume rattling left now that seems to be coming from somewhere behind the rear seats.

My wife considers me a freak when it comes to hearing and I can’t tolerate a ticking clock anywhere in the house, so YMMV, but so far the P2 was disappointing in this department. It has more squeaks and rattles than my 2013 Audi with nearly 100k miles (as that still has none).

I seem to have taken care of most of them though so it’s finally quiet.

It also recently developed the annoying noise when steering wheel is at full lock, or I just noticed now because the weather is better and keep the windows open more. I’ll book it in doe this though.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
759 Posts
Removed the child seats to clean the rear seats today, and thought I'd investigate the remaining rattles, so removed everything from the car and fixed another minor one which was the rear boot/trunk floor hinge which had lots of play.

Wrapped it in automotive cable tape and that is now sorted, and it still lifts up and down normally (see photo bellow, theres one hinge on each side and it's a bit tricky to remove it).

I'm down to one final rattle, which appeared to be from somewhere in the rear seatbelt area or door, so I enlisted the help of my wife who confirmed that it's from the seatbelt mechanism somewhere at head height, and that if the seatbelt is pulled all the way out and tensioned it stops.

It's occasionally noticeable from the front seats, but during the 15' drive she told me it's almost constant and incredibly annoying and sounds like a bee is trapped in there.

Has anyone had something like this fixed at Volvo by any chance? I vaguely remember someone mentioning something like this.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,743 Posts
Removed the child seats to clean the rear seats today, and thought I'd investigate the remaining rattles, so removed everything from the car and fixed another minor one which was the rear boot/trunk floor hinge which had lots of play.

Wrapped it in automotive cable tape and that is now sorted, and it still lifts up and down normally (see photo bellow, theres one hinge on each side and it's a bit tricky to remove it).

I'm down to one final rattle, which appeared to be from somewhere in the rear seatbelt area or door, so I enlisted the help of my wife who confirmed that it's from the seatbelt mechanism somewhere at head height, and that if the seatbelt is pulled all the way out and tensioned it stops.

It's occasionally noticeable from the front seats, but during the 15' drive she told me it's almost constant and incredibly annoying and sounds like a bee is trapped in there.

Has anyone had something like this fixed at Volvo by any chance? I vaguely remember someone mentioning something like this.

View attachment 5239
I'm ready for your youtube channel

61 - 80 of 89 Posts