Polestar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo .... day 2.
Took the car out.... loving it.
Started as a nice gentle tour through the countryside. Took a few pics. Toured nice and gentle (30-32Kwh/100)

Dusk settled in just as I was getting settled in and used to the cars handling. I was in the middle of nowhere with no one on the country lanes.

To be honest I was getting a little bit giggly because I had done a few “launches”, meanwhile the adaptive headlights are awesome ... steering into the corners as well!

On a single track country lane. Then I accelerated out of a bend ... foot to the floor because I can see straight ahead.... clear for a long long way.... go on then, rude not too. Feeling really good.

There was a bump and then dip in the road I didn’t spot until too late.

Bambi 🦌 ran out from left to right in front of me.

Instincts took over and I did a rapid harsh swerve.

I swear the car possibly took off on the bump.... (maybe not — too heavy but definitely extended) and then just as quick the suspension must have almost bottomed out on the landing. I’m not pointing forwards anymore on the landing. It’s a narrow road. It’s all gone wrong !

A lot of things happened very quickly at the same time. My seatbelt sucked the air out of me, the steering wheel tried to pull out of my hands trying to correct the direction the car was pointing in, all sorts of DSC magic was working, alternate corner breaks pumping of their own accord, tyres squealed, screeched, cried ‘mama’ at opposite corners, and then I am straight again on the road and the car is settled, the music is playing, and bambi 🦌 goes home to mum.

It wasn’t a moose, so sorry about the title, but I guess the moose test also didn’t have a bump and dip in it.

I decided to pull over and take some pictures of the car. Not at all because I wanted to calm down or change my pants.

Anyway, beautiful car, great safety features. Rapid too.
To be clear I was within the National speed limit. Probably. Just.

Decided to go get my tea. Have a drink. Average of my trip 36Kw/100km.

I’m alive and very very happy with my car 😃 !
It is a sporty car and yet has great safety features. What is Polestar about??? Nailed it!
Must take it a little more careful.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day 1 delivery hiccups all forgiven. That drive has won my heart. My previous car was a Merc E350E Phev 2017. I prefer the Polestar, by far. The quality is as good, the ride as refined as the Merc when on electric; better than the Merc on ICE.
I had the optional Burmeister stereo; I prefer the Polestar.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Than you for sharing, and glad you are safe. It is stories like this that help those of us on the fence to make a decision. Speaking of that @ChiefEngineer, I appreciate the comparison to the E350e, my choice of the P2 is largely based on it having a quiet cabin, build quality and overall solidness. While you mostly answered that, any more color around your comparison of the two would be most helpful. Thanks and sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sooooo .... day 2.
Took the car out.... loving it.
Started as a nice gentle tour through the countryside. Took a few pics. Toured nice and gentle (30-32Kwh/100)
View attachment 1324
View attachment 1325
Dusk settled in just as I was getting settled in and used to the cars handling. I was in the middle of nowhere with no one on the country lanes.

To be honest I was getting a little bit giggly because I had done a few “launches”, meanwhile the adaptive headlights are awesome ... steering into the corners as well!

On a single track country lane. Then I accelerated out of a bend ... foot to the floor because I can see straight ahead.... clear for a long long way.... go on then, rude not too. Feeling really good.

There was a bump and then dip in the road I didn’t spot until too late.

Bambi 🦌 ran out from left to right in front of me.

Instincts took over and I did a rapid harsh swerve.

I swear the car possibly took off on the bump.... (maybe not — too heavy but definitely extended) and then just as quick the suspension must have almost bottomed out on the landing. I’m not pointing forwards anymore on the landing. It’s a narrow road. It’s all gone wrong !

A lot of things happened very quickly at the same time. My seatbelt sucked the air out of me, the steering wheel tried to pull out of my hands trying to correct the direction the car was pointing in, all sorts of DSC magic was working, alternate corner breaks pumping of their own accord, tyres squealed, screeched, cried ‘mama’ at opposite corners, and then I am straight again on the road and the car is settled, the music is playing, and bambi 🦌 goes home to mum.

It wasn’t a moose, so sorry about the title, but I guess the moose test also didn’t have a bump and dip in it.

I decided to pull over and take some pictures of the car. Not at all because I wanted to calm down or change my pants.

Anyway, beautiful car, great safety features. Rapid too.
To be clear I was within the National speed limit. Probably. Just.
View attachment 1326
View attachment 1327
Decided to go get my tea. Have a drink. Average of my trip 36Kw/100km.

I’m alive and very very happy with my car 😃 !
It is a sporty car and yet has great safety features. What is Polestar about??? Nailed it!
Must take it a little more careful.
Many years ago buying a new to me A6 2.7t and promptly driving it off the road in the dark and somehow managing to not do a lick of damage to it, my heart rate was through the roof reading that!

Glad it and you survived!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Than you for sharing, and glad you are safe. It is stories like this that help those of us on the fence to make a decision. Speaking of that @ChiefEngineer, I appreciate the comparison to the E350e, my choice of the P2 is largely based on it having a quiet cabin, build quality and overall solidness. While you mostly answered that, any more color around your comparison of the two would be most helpful. Thanks and sorry for the hijack.
Sure. The E350E is quite a fast car supplementing the ICE with the battery. I was always disappointed though with the size of battery. Loved the quietness and build quality and was a little concerned myself to become an early adopter. But I wouldn’t buy a Tesla after looking and riding in one; it just does not “feel” like a 50k car after the Merc.

Spending 50k I wanted a refined, quiet, luxury car with decent stereo and preferably a bit quicker. All turned out good. Massively quicker. Seats are really comfy - albeit first long drive (360m) due this weekend.

Acceleration I am sure has been programmed as a refined ‘roll-on’. Slam your foot down from 0 and the motors don’t just turn on at full power, it is faded in, and then builds rapidly.... speed with refinement.

Obviously my E350E was full of cow; gorgeous curves and stitching. This is made of plastic bottles..... another worry I had ... but the design is really excellent with touches of details I keep looking at. It weighs more than others no doubt because they added more value for the eye to look at.
Found myself taking pictures of bits of detail .... I never did that when I got my Merc.

Love the gearshift, the logo in the panoramic roof etc.. and my wife is vegetarian and prefers the whole idea of not sitting on 🐄

My Merc had full lane assist and adaptive cruise... this is much much better at lane assist. I also like how I don’t have to press buttons to decide to go into sports mode+ or whether to charge/use the battery.

Less faffing.
The google interface is so much better than the Merc; both the voice and the touchscreen... after 3 years in the Merc I still wasn’t used to twisting, moving or writing on the dial thing. This is much more intuitive.

The smaller dashboard screen is also cool; the map in it better than the Merc; maps overall much better. I no longer have to have my phone in a cradle ... very happy to put it on the inductive charger instead.

However the road sign recognition software needs an update... I’m not sure how it’s doing it but it’s not just visually looking for signs- there must be a database or algorithm ... on a road it is constantly changing the speed limit when there have been no road signs or changes. Easy to turn off notifications though and I am sure an update will come.

Speaking of which I never liked the fact that my Merc was getting old and the software and maps getting outdated.... over the air will be nice!

Like the keys too ... the sport key and/or even the big key - because it never has to come out of a pocket (or handbag). Just walk up to the car and open it.

Headlamps better than my Merc, they also have washers. Rear seats have heaters built in. Merc has more rear leg room but I am 5’10. Set the front seat how I like it; surprisingly quite high (bags of headroom in front). In back it is also refined with plenty of knee room and head room.

Boot on Merc is probably bigger, I haven’t tried to fill it yet but the Hatch makes it more usable. No problem with the kick to open - love it, and also love the flap inside to hold shopping ... already used that ! Design touches everywhere!!

I could go on, but I should start work. Working from home but maybe I should take a drive to work just so I don’t get out of habit?? 🤔 to sum it up that’s the difference. The Merc is a beautiful car; this is too - in different ways. But I really want to drive this. Really.

Ps. Took my laptop into car and did some work yesterday while sat in the countryside with the stereo on..
Never done that in my Merc.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I hit a deer once - was under the speed limit. I was absolutely fine but the car was not:

(Number plate obscured for privacy!)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sure. The E350E is quite a fast car supplementing the ICE with the battery. I was always disappointed though with the size of battery. Loved the quietness and build quality and was a little concerned myself to become an early adopter. But I wouldn’t buy a Tesla after looking and riding in one; it just does not “feel” like a 50k car after the Merc.

Spending 50k I wanted a refined, quiet, luxury car with decent stereo and preferably a bit quicker. All turned out good. Massively quicker. Seats are really comfy - albeit first long drive (360m) due this weekend.

Acceleration I am sure has been programmed as a refined ‘roll-on’. Slam your foot down from 0 and the motors don’t just turn on at full power, it is faded in, and then builds rapidly.... speed with refinement.

Obviously my E350E was full of cow; gorgeous curves and stitching. This is made of plastic bottles..... another worry I had ... but the design is really excellent with touches of details I keep looking at. It weighs more than others no doubt because they added more value for the eye to look at.
Found myself taking pictures of bits of detail .... I never did that when I got my Merc.

Love the gearshift, the logo in the panoramic roof etc.. and my wife is vegetarian and prefers the whole idea of not sitting on 🐄

My Merc had full lane assist and adaptive cruise... this is much much better at lane assist. I also like how I don’t have to press buttons to decide to go into sports mode+ or whether to charge/use the battery.

Less faffing.
The google interface is so much better than the Merc; both the voice and the touchscreen... after 3 years in the Merc I still wasn’t used to twisting, moving or writing on the dial thing. This is much more intuitive.

The smaller dashboard screen is also cool; the map in it better than the Merc; maps overall much better. I no longer have to have my phone in a cradle ... very happy to put it on the inductive charger instead.

However the road sign recognition software needs an update... I’m not sure how it’s doing it but it’s not just visually looking for signs- there must be a database or algorithm ... on a road it is constantly changing the speed limit when there have been no road signs or changes. Easy to turn off notifications though and I am sure an update will come.

Speaking of which I never liked the fact that my Merc was getting old and the software and maps getting outdated.... over the air will be nice!

Like the keys too ... the sport key and/or even the big key - because it never has to come out of a pocket (or handbag). Just walk up to the car and open it.

Headlamps better than my Merc, they also have washers. Rear seats have heaters built in. Merc has more rear leg room but I am 5’10. Set the front seat how I like it; surprisingly quite high (bags of headroom in front). In back it is also refined with plenty of knee room and head room.

Boot on Merc is probably bigger, I haven’t tried to fill it yet but the Hatch makes it more usable. No problem with the kick to open - love it, and also love the flap inside to hold shopping ... already used that ! Design touches everywhere!!

I could go on, but I should start work. Working from home but maybe I should take a drive to work just so I don’t get out of habit?? 🤔 to sum it up that’s the difference. The Merc is a beautiful car; this is too - in different ways. But I really want to drive this. Really.

Ps. Took my laptop into car and did some work yesterday while sat in the countryside with the stereo on..
Never done that in my Merc.
Thanks Chief - very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts