Polestar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been driving in the dark on secondary roads quite a bit lately and have thus seen the pixel headlights in action. It is impressive, but it also has been a bit tiring, me constantly trying to follow how they switch.

I must say that it seems to work very well in the sense that I do not recall any complaints from other road users. And that makes me wonder how other users experience being followed by a Polestar and constantly see the road to their right and left being lit up. Must be weird. Anybody any experience?

Reactions: rmi616 and SneakyS

·
Registered
2021 P2, Magnesium/Charcoal, non-pp, 19"
117 Posts
I must say that it seems to work very well in the sense that I do not recall any complaints from other road users. And that makes me wonder how other users experience being followed by a Polestar and constantly see the road to their right and left being lit up. Must be weird. Anybody any experience?
Yeah, they really seems to work very well, and have made me wonder too. By far the best headlights I had so far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yesterday near midnight I came back from a long trip with a rented VW Passat, latest edition. I was so tired of the dim head light of that car and was longing to sit in my Polestar again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
They finally get an idea of a real fantastic head light. Or/and they get to know where they currently are :)
I think they must feel followed.

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
156 Posts
I think they're really effective although sometimes I find myself slightly distracted by the way they track the area next to the road and maintain a darker area around vehicles in front. There was some bright glare from a long row of reflective cones around some roadworks last night. This is my second car with this technology and there's no going back. I can remember the dim lamps on my old Mini and a girlfriend's VW Beetle several years ago that made driving in the dark treacherous even with a younger pair of eyes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sometimes when my partner and I are driving back home from a place we've arrived separately, she drives first in her car and I'll follow in the Polestar, so that we both can drive with high beams on. She says my high beams helps her a lot on the sides, so that's great. And there's no glare or other complaints.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So frustrating that they're not legal here in the US.
I'm hoping that there will be some way to connect a computer to the car and enable them through the ODB2 port. I did something very similar to my 2008 GTI.

But I'm not expecting the US Dept. of Transportation to 'legalize' these headlights ever. This style of headlight has been out for a while and the DoT is notoriously slow to change.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I must admit I've been blown away by the quality of the headlights in this car (and that's coming from a 2017 BMW 5 series which I thought was great at the time).

I actually like the moving headlight display as it does help me to focus on the cars in front and the changing wall of light in front helps me to avoid the tunnel vision syndrome I sometimes get at night (not real tunnel vision but the slavish following of the car in front)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've had mine since March and I'm yet to drive it in the dark 😂 I had an 2019 audi a8 with laser lights before, and they were unbelievable so if they are even close to that I'll be very happy

·
Registered
32 Posts
The infrastructure bill making its way through the U.S. congress right now actually instructs DOT to update headlamp regulations to account for adaptive beams within 2 years.
That's great! If I'm correct, the cars sold in the US already have the hardware, and it would just require a software update to get the adaptive beams. Am I right?

·
Registered
189 Posts
That's great! If I'm correct, the cars sold in the US already have the hardware, and it would just require a software update to get the adaptive beams. Am I right?
You are correct.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That should be the case, but time will tell.

If I could slip the tech some ca$h at a Polestar service center to just enable it, I would. I can't imagine that the US has a totally different firmware than the rest of the world, so it should just be a matter of flipping a bit from 0 to 1 (or maybe a few bits, but not many).

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yep, Polestar confirmed in a Facebook Q+A that hardware is identical and if the regulations change, it’s a simple software update. I’m guessing at low volume there wasn’t positive ROI in manufacturing a different, if cheaper, headlamp cluster for the US as other manufacturers do (coughAUDIcough). Hoping we get this one at some point! 🤞

1 - 18 of 18 Posts