Polestar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just re-watched an old video that was filmed at the 2019 Geneva motor show.
It contains an interview with Maxime Célérier, the Senior Exterior Designer.

There are interesting bits about the genesis of the Polestar 2, that I will translate for you :

• Maxime arrived in Sweden in Jan 2014 to work at Volvo
  • He was the lead exterior designer on the 40.2 at that time
  • Back then, Volvo had not bought Polestar yet
  • As the car was being developed (at Volvo), they were not sure it would belong in the Volvo line-up
  • Volvo bought Polestar and the brand and unveiled the car under that name
If you google a little bit, you can found other key members of the dev team on LinkedIn.
All were Volvo employees during the birth of the Polestar 2 and almost all of them are still Volvo employees to this day.

TitleNameat Volvo Cars since
Senior Expert Exterior DesignerMaxime Célérier2014
Chassis Development EngineerJoakim Rydholm2007
Chief Design OfficerThomas Ingenlath2012
Senior Interior DesignerJuan Pablo Bernal2011
Product Development EngineerSofie Dunert2014
Lead Studio EngineerChetan Kotur2015
Interior DesignerAxel Ernstsson2010

It is clear to me that this car is a Volvo, badged as Polestar for marketing purposes.
(if anyone still had doubts)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sure, but Polestar's association with Volvo as their performance tuner goes back a long way - mid 90s. So to put the P2P in perspective, the real competition isn't a Model 3, it is the BMW M3 or Audi RS4 - I'm sure Mercedes have an equivalent AMG but I'm not familiar. Into the future, the Polestars start to diverge from Volvo. Search on "Precept".

Performance will take be taken to another level. Technology for EVs is still accelerating at fast pace. Search "Lucid Air" for a new car out of California that will make the Porsche Taycan obsolete.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sure, but Polestar's association with Volvo as their performance tuner goes back a long way - mid 90s. So to put the P2P in perspective, the real competition isn't a Model 3, it is the BMW M3 or Audi RS4 - I'm sure Mercedes have an equivalent AMG but I'm not familiar. Into the future, the Polestars start to diverge from Volvo. Search on "Precept".

Performance will take be taken to another level. Technology for EVs is still accelerating at fast pace. Search "Lucid Air" for a new car out of California that will make the Porsche Taycan obsolete.
The car I really really wanted was the Rivian Pickup truck. Better acceleration, longer range, and each wheel independently powered by its own motor so that you can do 'tank turns' Alas don't know when it comes here, and some opposition in the family.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts