Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used my car to tow a trailer for the first time yesterday. 'Worked just fine.

I rented a 5' by 8' trailer from U-Haul. I was able to enter the car into their website when checking out and confirming the capacity.

Our American cars come with a 2" ball and the 4-pin flat connector as seems most common here. So all that was fine.

Of course, towing a trailer isn't smooth... the trailer rattles around and pushes and pulls on the car. I wouldn't call it fun, but it did work just fine. (I used it to get an all-electric mower back from Lowe's.)

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle

Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
I used my car to tow a trailer for the first time yesterday. 'Worked just fine.

I rented a 5' by 8' trailer from U-Haul. I was able to enter the car into their website when checking out and confirming the capacity.

Our American cars come with a 2" ball and the 4-pin flat connector as seems most common here. So all that was fine.

Of course, towing a trailer isn't smooth... the trailer rattles around and pushes and pulls on the car. I wouldn't call it fun, but it did work just fine. (I used it to get an all-electric mower back from Lowe's.)

View attachment 10180

View attachment 10181
Chains look a little low, that ain't your fault. 馃憤 Nice Ray, first photo I've seen with a trailer other than the promo shots with the Cake electric bikes.

Registered
Chains look a little low, that ain't your fault. 馃憤 Nice Ray, first photo I've seen with a trailer other than the promo shots with the Cake electric bikes.
It is his fault if he chained it up. U-Haul's chains are stupidly long but I've never had to make them drag to work.

Took a home Depot run myself today, but put the wood on the roof rack. Didn't take pictures.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After the photo was taken, I shortened them by twisting them some more... Always something new to learn, eh?

Reactions: Dark-Fx

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is his fault if he chained it up. U-Haul's chains are stupidly long but I've never had to make them drag to work.
(The U-Haul guy did the original attachment.)

Registered

I had an aftermarket 2" receiver on my Bolt EV, and a special hitch pin that put pressure on the receiver to keep the hitch from rocking around in the receiver. It made a huge difference in the amount of noise the trailer would make. I haven't looked into anything like that for the polestar's 1.25" receiver, but I also don't have that trailer anymore. It towed like a champ, hardly noticed it at all on the freeway.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I reserved another trailer at U-Haul, but when I got there and hooked up, the lights didn't work. Interestingly, the car told me that the right side was out before the U-Haul person did. 'Hooked up to the other trailer they had, and this time the other light was out. Again, somehow the car knew the light was wrong even before we checked it. 'Nice feature.

So... off to the Home Depot where I got a much nicer trailer for a bit more cost and everything worked great again. 'Love the versatility of the car and I'm impressed by how integrated towing is in the software.

Attachments

Registered
2022 AWD Midnight w/ Pilot & Plus. Nappa Leather. X-Ice 19" for winter
Thanks for posting the info! My wife and I rely on her father's pickup truck for now, but it's 21 years old and he got in an accident with it lately. We weren't sure if it was going to be repaired or totaled (they repaired it. Sorta...zip ties were used on some stuff by the body shop!)

It's good knowing we CAN tow because our backup has been buying a cheap trailer for going to the dump, picking up supplies etc. So never more than 20-30 miles round trip ideally and never hauling TOO much weight. Just need to keep an eye out for cheap trailer now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Renting isn't that much of a bother if there's a place nearby. Between the trailer and the load, I figure I was pulling 1500 pounds. I had a round trip, all said and done, of probably 100 miles including some interstate driving at 65 mph or so.

40 degrees F, started at 80% and finished with 20%.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By the way, instead of trying to back up at that farm... Having off loaded, I simply did a big sweeping turn through the snow in the hay field. No slipping or concerns. Worked great. (Yes... Dedicated snow tires.)

Registered
I'd still like to know if the difference between towing capacities between US and EU are due to the design difference or regulatory compliance.

Registered
2022 AWD Midnight w/ Pilot & Plus. Nappa Leather. X-Ice 19" for winter
Renting isn't that much of a bother if there's a place nearby. Between the trailer and the load, I figure I was pulling 1500 pounds. I had a round trip, all said and done, of probably 100 miles including some interstate driving at 65 mph or so.

40 degrees F, started at 80% and finished with 20%.
You know, of all the things I've read about the range of the car, THIS Is the most confidence inspiring. Thanks for the info!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd still like to know if the difference between towing capacities between US and EU are due to the design difference or regulatory compliance.
Other than the tow hook itself, I don't think there are any design differences. I think it all boils down to regulations and how things are tested.

I don't really know, but this is what would make sense to me.

Registered
Both.
Regulatory, depends on the car (allowed tow weight) and your drivers license class. On a regular class B license max vehicle weight is 3500Kgs but it depends on what car and what tow weight. It is bit complicated and depends on both the cars total weight and the trailer total weight, if the trailer have brakes etc.
Hardware, ball have different dimensions and the electrical connector is different.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts