Polestar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK so I've done some testing recently and this most defiantly works.

Only really useful, or worth it, in very cold weather when you need to maximum range.

Charge your Car to 90% the night before the trip. 80mins before leaving start charging the car the last 10%.
Then after 50min's start the 30min's cabin pre-heating as well.

When around 0 deg's C even a 7kWh charger will need to heat the batteries up to charge at full power. Normally I can do 10% in one hour at 7kWh, however when you start the cabin-preheating, most - if not all - the 7kW's will be used to heat the electric cabin heat up ... so you need to allow a bit more time for charging, plus you lose some of the 7kW's on the battery heating at the start too. I tried 60mins at first but left with 96% ... so went to 75mins and left with 98-99 ... so if you want that 100% then allow 80'mins.

Now in the USA using 45A Charger or in the EU using 11kW you should be able to reduce this to 60min's easily ... maybe less.

I managed 33kWh/100mi for a 120mile trip (60 there to my mums and back - only stopped for 1-2min's to unload shopping) - Obviously for 120miles I don't need to do the above, but was an interesting test. It's about 50miles of Motorway and 10 Miles of A/B roads (so 100 / 20 round trip) and I travelled at 70mph using OFF Regen and no ACC/PA.
No Heated Seats/wheel. HVAC set to 20deg, and just me in the car.

If someone else can test this out, this would be great, but again I say that imho this is only worth the hassle if you need that 200+ miles.

Edit: You could charge to 60% and just charge up to 70%+ before you leave ... but imho I don't think it's worth it unless you must have the max efficiency.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Yes agreed if multiple people can replicate this in cold temps, it will at least answer and prove that Battery heating is killing the consumption for first 15mins. One for the YouTubers!
 

·
Registered
2021 2
Joined
·
2,602 Posts
Brilliant! If the app comes out before the battery preheat routine then can hopefully do this all remotely too by setting the charge limit up and then 10 min later adding preconditioning.
 

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
Joined
·
2,888 Posts
Yep, used to do this with the Ampera, which only had a 3kW charger but would draw 4-5kW during pre-heat. Start remote pre-heating (button on the remote... ah, those were the days) 20 minutes before leaving, it does 10 minutes pre-heat, then 10 minutes to top the battery back up. Works a treat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just wanted to point out that both the car and home chargers (400V 3-phase ones) in the EU support up to 11kW.
Thanks, I actually knew this and was meant to say 11kW but must have made the mistake when doing some edits. Thanks for pointing it out, I've edited the original post to show 11kW now.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top