Polestar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's a BBQ gas bottle for all those filling up this weekend!

Stopped it rolling around perfectly and the cover nearly closed... About 1-2" short

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
The only thing I can think of is, if the valve suddenly fails, the tank becomes a rocket and it would be somewhat safer if it were pointed down. (Notice my casual use of the English subjunctive tense.)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Actually just saw this post - should have reacted earlier. Very dangerous to lie a cylinder flat ! Never ever do this.
The Pressure Relief Valve is incorporated into the main gas valve on the bottle.
The reason is that you immerse the pressure relief valve in liquid if a full bottle is laying flat (propane in the bottle is liquid).
If the pressure inside increases (fire, heat, impact) the pressure relief valve releases some of the gas to relieve the pressure.
When the bottle is full and lying flat, it can't work and the bottle can explode if pressure were to accidentally increase.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually just saw this post - should have reacted earlier. Very dangerous to lie a cylinder flat ! Never ever do this.
The Pressure Relief Valve is incorporated into the main gas valve on the bottle.
The reason is that you immerse the pressure relief valve in liquid if a full bottle is laying flat (propane in the bottle is liquid).
If the pressure inside increases (fire, heat, impact) the pressure relief valve releases some of the gas to relieve the pressure.
When the bottle is full and lying flat, it can't work and the bottle can explode if pressure were to accidentally increase.
Thanks for the logical reason, noted and won't do again thanks!

Reactions: JMP2

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Thanks for the logical reason, noted and won't do again thanks!
And I was liking the idea for a minute because I hate putting the tank in the car where it can damage the interior. I wind up wrapping it with old towels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts