Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Non PP, Midnight, Load Bars
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has had the Android 10 update, it has had the inverters done, the service people are great but the bloody 4G(LTE) is still playing up along with the WIFI. Some of the most established tech in the car is the most troublesome. Its very poor. Now it is book in for the 16th to have this and the heater randomly not working investigated. Polestar's bit by bit approach to these fixes is more than a little frustrating. I have done a very long and detailed complaint to Polestar. I will share what they say and if they divulge any future plans for roll outs of fixes.
and
another
thing....
Why cant we turn off the speed adjusted volume control? Its ridiculous, too loud to inaudible too long after you have slowed or stopped. The new surround function is nice though.
That's it, i'm done. Gonna clear the snow and go for a drive to the shops. still love the car.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Look forward to hearing what the "new 4g" resolution is. Random drop outs for me too over the last week (I'm in the same situation as you re updates). But haven't reported yet as I'm trying to see if there is pattern to the self fixes! My interim conclusion is it comes back only where there is a perfect 4g signal. Half measures not good enough but even that conclusion is not 100% consistent.

I have also noticed at the weekend the speed sign identifier has gone back to it's old erratic ways. That one sneaked up on me and doesn't seem linked to the 4g issue. But who knows.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have to say I have been in two minds about potentially "Wasting my time" reporting the random dropouts of 4G (I think I have now had maybe 4 at most in about four weeks), the lack of Wifi and then yesterday a blip where my BT to my iPhone disappeared. On one hand the more that report it the better, but on the other hand in reality I would be amazed if they don't know all fo this already. I guess if I was driving the car regularly (like more than once a week for a mile to the supermarket) I might feel differently, but I am not so it is really not causing me any heartache. I also can't face being given the minky/noddy response of switch it off and back on again (I die a little bit inside every time someone says that to me).

I lost an hour chatting to Neato about my first world problem of not being able to do the hoovering from my car yesterday and their position was recreate the map, move the robot - NOOOO, I have done this so many times. Sometimes I just live with it and monitor for updates etc...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to say I have been in two minds about potentially "Wasting my time" reporting the random dropouts of 4G (I think I have now had maybe 4 at most in about four weeks), the lack of Wifi and then yesterday a blip where my BT to my iPhone disappeared. On one hand the more that report it the better, but on the other hand in reality I would be amazed if they don't know all fo this already. I guess if I was driving the car regularly (like more than once a week for a mile to the supermarket) I might feel differently, but I am not so it is really not causing me any heartache. I also can't face being given the minky/noddy response of switch it off and back on again (I die a little bit inside every time someone says that to me).

I lost an hour chatting to Neato about my first world problem of not being able to do the hoovering from my car yesterday and their position was recreate the map, move the robot - NOOOO, I have done this so many times. Sometimes I just live with it and monitor for updates etc...
Morning. My major gripe is that the "fix" didn't do as it said on the tin. I have noticed that since the update my 4G/LTE takes a few minutes to connect each time i start the car. This would indicate to me that when the car is off it turns off the 4G, if this is the case how will OTA updates happen and what will be the point of an APP for preconditioning if it cant communicate with the car. Then having an entire day without it again and no wifi again just got me frustrated. The heater stopping when it was most needed was the straw that broke the camels back. As i mentioned i have asked for someone technical to call me to discuss the fix road map. If i get a call i will share what it discussed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look forward to hearing what the "new 4g" resolution is. Random drop outs for me too over the last week (I'm in the same situation as you re updates). But haven't reported yet as I'm trying to see if there is pattern to the self fixes! My interim conclusion is it comes back only where there is a perfect 4g signal. Half measures not good enough but even that conclusion is not 100% consistent.

I have also noticed at the weekend the speed sign identifier has gone back to it's old erratic ways. That one sneaked up on me and doesn't seem linked to the 4g issue. But who knows.
Morning, after a week or so of monitoring i have noticed that the display changes to 3G more often than it did however most of the time it just sits there, triangle and cross. I assume from this they improved the signal reporting but not much else.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Morning. My major gripe is that the "fix" didn't do as it said on the tin. I have noticed that since the update my 4G/LTE takes a few minutes to connect each time i start the car. This would indicate to me that when the car is off it turns off the 4G, if this is the case how will OTA updates happen and what will be the point of an APP for preconditioning if it cant communicate with the car. Then having an entire day without it again and no wifi again just got me frustrated. The heater stopping when it was most needed was the straw that broke the camels back. As i mentioned i have asked for someone technical to call me to discuss the fix road map. If i get a call i will share what it discussed.
I get that, all good points and I can agree how does half or even all of what you mention work if the 4G connection has gone. Good shout out...

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
871 Posts
Mine has started acting up the last few days, it was rock solid (connecting within seconds) for weeks.

Now most times it stays with an x for several minutes, which is practically the entire drives I do these days.

At least the WiFi is fixed after the firmware upgrade so it can tether to my phone now.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
When I had the October Update the car would shut down after 48 hours and when I got back in the 4G would take a while to connect again.

Since getting the November update I've noticed the 4G disconnects every time I leave the car ... as everyone was mostly on this pre xmas I can understand now why so many people have had issues.

This was probably done to stop the 12V drain but is odd that on Saturday I went to the local pet store about 10miles away, the 4G took 1-2 mins to connect but it had been left for a week, so understandable. However I was in the pet store for no more than 10mins and when I returned the 4G was gone. I then drove 2min's to Tesco's to do the weekly shop, and I was gone for 30-45mins. On my return 4G did come back in less than 30 seconds.

So very random for the short stop in the middle.

·
Registered
Void non-PP Tow Bar
257 Posts
Is the initial stability and subsequent return to loss of connectivity being seen (is this just more prevalent in the UK) due to further cars being delivered, soaking up the additional capacity that was obviously added. Added load of rolling out OTA's seemingly restarting??
I would suggest the more the loss of mobile connectivity is highlighted to CS the more likely Polestar are to work on once again increasing capacity??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine has started acting up the last few days, it was rock solid (connecting within seconds) for weeks.

Now most times it stays with an x for several minutes, which is practically the entire drives I do these days.

At least the WiFi is fixed after the firmware upgrade so it can tether to my phone now.
My car hasn't connected to 4G (or 3G) for over a couple of weeks now. It also does not pick up wi-fi so I can't tether it to my phone. I sent an email to Polestar last week but so far no response. My other problem is that my programmed heating does not come on at the set times but maybe this is related to no internet connection.

·
Registered
871 Posts
My car hasn't connected to 4G (or 3G) for over a couple of weeks now. It also does not pick up wi-fi so I can't tether it to my phone. I sent an email to Polestar last week but so far no response. My other problem is that my programmed heating does not come on at the set times but maybe this is related to no internet connection.
The latest firmware fixed both WiFi and the programmed heating, CS was quick to offer an appointment to Volvo to resolve the WiFi+4G issue, the rest was bonus fixes for me. I'd suggest give them a ring if you don't hear back within a day, and insist on an appointment to get WiFi fixed and software upgraded.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,587 Posts
If the issue is having the solid triangle and X then the issue is the 4g radio is on but not connecting, so issue could be as much the service provider as the car itself. Hollow triangle would mean the 4G isn’t initialized properly, which is the car certainly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Latest update applied at the dealer. 4G (LTE) and WiFi now working every time, but as others have already mentioned, on start up in the mornings, may take a couple of minutes or so to connect. Those that still have WiFi issues after the latest update, please mention to Polestar and the Dealer to 'Reset' the TCAM. No idea what that is or what it does, but it did work for me. Pre Scheduled Heating still does not work every day. Very intermittent and erratic. Speed Sign Recognition cannot be turned off, every time I turn it off, it simply comes back on again. In Car User Guide now working after I followed Polestar's instructions with regard to uninstalling a certain software update. Range now appears more accurate. However, because of the weather and Covid, not really getting a chance to test the range for a (necessary) long journey. Hope this helps.........................

·
Registered
871 Posts
Latest update applied at the dealer. 4G (LTE) and WiFi now working every time, but as others have already mentioned, on start up in the mornings, may take a couple of minutes or so to connect. Those that still have WiFi issues after the latest update, please mention to Polestar and the Dealer to 'Reset' the TCAM. No idea what that is or what it does, but it did work for me. Pre Scheduled Heating still does not work every day. Very intermittent and erratic. Speed Sign Recognition cannot be turned off, every time I turn it off, it simply comes back on again. In Car User Guide now working after I followed Polestar's instructions with regard to uninstalling a certain software update. Range now appears more accurate. However, because of the weather and Covid, not really getting a chance to test the range for a (necessary) long journey. Hope this helps.........................
The manual was fixed for me with the Android 10 update, and in fact they seem to block webview from updating to avoid this issue in the future. I’ve had a pending update for it for the past week!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The manual was fixed for me with the Android 10 update, and in fact they seem to block webview from updating to avoid this issue in the future. I’ve had a pending update for it for the past week!
Exactly, pending update. Me too, hardly a fix more of a work around. Once they fix the Pre Scheduling and the Speed Sign Recognition, I will be a happy bunny. It is a fantastic car and a real head turner. Happy to work with Polestar while they sort out and fix these issues.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Exactly, pending update. Me too, hardly a fix more of a work around. Once they fix the Pre Scheduling and the Speed Sign Recognition, I will be a happy bunny. It is a fantastic car and a real head turner. Happy to work with Polestar while they sort out and fix these issues.
Well they had to update the manual app to work with the webview version bundled with Android 10, however although not ideal I understand the decision to block further updates of webview at this time. It’s not like it can be actively exploited given how the car is configured!

The only proper solution would be to move the manual out in the App Store so it could be independently updated as required, as it is now it would require an OTA update which at the moment seems to take nearly two months to reach customers.

Just to be clear I’m not moaning about this, more than happy with how the software update went so far and happy to wait for Android 11, CarPlay and support for the app in the upcoming ones.

They should be looking into shortening their software delivery pipeline though, at least for the non critical infotainment bits.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Could the 4G issue be a European carrier issue?
So far in Canada not one problem with 4G... even in some remote places where my cell phone lost coverage.

I would imagine all cars have the same receiver and chips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,

As many others I have a very spotty 4g connection but mine follows a very distinct pattern: it works 100% of the times it's been connected to my home charger overnight. The second time I drive it after a charge it will have dropped and not work until a new charge. The WiFi works at all times. The car has the latest update from some weeks back.

Can I draw any conclusions from this besides that it def shouldn't be a carrier issue?

·
Registered
P2 Moon Jan 2021
95 Posts
Hi just had latest update and cart say I’m impressed, radio not working so will have a go the weekend to try and sort out,
HOWEVER, its a miraculous upgrade on the rear camera, i can see to reverse in the dark and for that one thing, I’m glad i had the update.

sure i be moaning again by Monday 😂

1 - 20 of 21 Posts