Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen the car in person, but a couple people who've posted reviews said that the sun through the sunroof was brutal. Granted they were testing on 100 degree F days. My XC60 had a panoramic sunroof, but there was a perforated sunshade that I kept close almost all the time.

So the question...Is the sun bothersome?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've heard it can be especially annoying on sunny days if you're bald.

I also have kids that sometimes nap in the car during drives, so I'll probably end up tinting to avoid making it too bright when they're trying to sleep.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I drove a non-PP in San Francisco at 5:15pm last week with a really nasty sun angle. The sunroof sun glare was really good compared to my other car (Land Rover w/pano roof). I drove it and then sat in the back while my wife drove it and I had direct sun coming at me - it was surprisingly fine, I was honestly surprised. I do wish it had a cover like my other car, specifically for the reasons you are giving, but felt much better after that experience.

The rest of my family is always annoyed that I want to keep the sun shade closed on the other car so maybe this will be a win-win :)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
From the pictures I've seen it's pretty well tinted already compared to the side windows.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it's like the Ipace an aftermarket tint may do some damage to a film already in place. My ipace has some sort of coating on it already for heat/UV - you can feel the difference vs the regular tinted rear side windows. Jaguar doesn't recommend you tint it. Polestar should be able to tell you.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I test drove am I-Pace in June, it was sunny but not hot ... from memory around 18-20deg. That sunroof was not imho coated enough in both UV reflection and/or tint.

I drove the Polestar 2 on a 28deg with the sun being mostly shaded (but not completely at all times) and never gave the roof a 2nd though both when I was driving and sitting in the back.

Reactions: SLCPolestar

·
Registered
96 Posts
Would it be worth getting a sunshade for the windshield, since they are not usually tinted? I'm worried about how the sun will affect the cabin while it sits all day in the parking lot at work.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
'Not a bad idea. And it can help in the summer to keep the heat in the cabin lower, which means the AC won't have to work as hard, which means better range.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Would it be worth getting a sunshade for the windshield, since they are not usually tinted? I'm worried about affect of the sun while it sits all day in the parking lot at work.
Yes, absolutely. My last car had tinted windows and adding just the sunshade made a huge different to in-car temps when it was parked in the sun.

I didn't notice any crazy heat from the roof when I picked the car up and drove it home. 2hr drive, sunny and 80-90 degrees.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
2021 2
2,054 Posts
Yes, absolutely. My last car had tinted windows and adding just the sunshade made a huge different to in-car temps when it was parked in the sun.

I didn't notice any crazy heat from the roof when I picked the car up and drove it home. 2hr drive, sunny and 80-90 degrees.
I’m pretty sure the roof panel filters IR and UV. And I thought auto glass in general is now UV filtering although I can’t find a citation for polestar in particular. I do find heat comes through the side windows so they must not be IR filtering.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I’m pretty sure the roof panel filters IR and UV. And I thought auto glass in general is now UV filtering although I can’t find a citation for polestar in particular. I do find heat comes through the side windows so they must not be IR filtering.
Yea, glass in general blocks UV, and you're right on the roof. I'm not sure the sides block IR, but I got them tinted pretty quickly anyway. :)

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
601 Posts
I tinted the windshield 70 and the side/rear windows 35. I can really tell the difference in the sun heating through the windows now. I never felt any heat through the roof panel even on the sunniest of days. Of course this is all winter so the true test will be our summer when we seem to be 98F and 98% humidity for weeks on end. 🥵

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Front window sun shades have been pretty common for a long time, and they are pretty cheap. No reason not to have one if you park outside a lot during the day.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,404 Posts
The bigger issue, personally, are the acoustics when the roof is being pelted with rain or hail. My girlfriend reckons it’s slightly louder than her Golf. I told her it’s the noisy engine & crap music she plays, which drowns out the roof patter.
Either way, I absolutely love the panoramic roof.

Stupid side note:
When I see the title of this thread, it makes me change the lyrics & sing a great song by an awesome british band....
My head is burning
Tint the sunroof
Tint the sunroof

1 - 20 of 20 Posts