Polestar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, been lurking for a while and just thought I’d test out the current feeling on the PP now that quite a few of you have cars - I know it’s been discussed before. I’m set on midnight but keep blowing hot and cold on whether to spec the PP or not.

My head says no-PP - ride probably more comfortable, cheaper all season tires, less likely to curb the low profile alloys and of course, £5k cheaper.

However, heart says it looks so good with the PP alloys and gold callipers. My commute to work is across country roads so I may get the benefit of the Ohlins and I’ve seen a few of you mention the standard brakes lack a bit of stopping power so the Brembos may come in handy for sportier driving. I did my test drive in a PP car but that was in Salford so only really tasted well surfaced roads - thought the ride was fine.

Can someone decide for me?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
HI I had attended the test day in Newcastle yesterday which was brilliant, an absolute must for anyone considering an EV. They employed an actual professional test driver whom I had the pleasure of keeping up with some of the time (identical spec cars!) and those things handle really really well. He was of the opinion that you would be able to make the PP car softer than the standard set up. The PP cars out of the factory will be mid way but can adjust something like 10 points higer or lower.
The PP car we drove on the day was great, handled the rough roads really well but I think i'd have it softened just a bit more so PP is the one to go for but Im interested in what others think of the standard car and I'd probably want to try that and a PP car softened before purchase, and yes i'm really picky but great, great car..

·
Registered
289 Posts
I drove a non PP on the test drive and now own a PP which is on the factory settings. I've driven 800 miles so far. I prefer my PP to the test drive car but it really does crash over bad road surfaces. It's sublime on quality roads, but how many of those do we have...

Tomorrow is damper fiddling day... I'm going to set it to the 'comfort' setting so will report back.

My gut feeling tells me that the best ride quality will be had with PP on 'comfort' settings -vs- non-PP.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
There is no performance gain in general driving apart from breaking hard after a heavy right foot moment.
There is a very small range lose (i.e. Higher consumption)
The gold dust caps will be stolen.
The gold both inside and outside looks great - imho if I could just get the seatbelts as an option I'd pay for it!
The ride is firmer even when set to the softest settings (according to people who have already done this), however most people say it's on par with German high end sport cars - so depends on what you are used to.

Overall it comes down to cost. If you can afford the £5k extra then go for it ... but you won't get anyone who will say you get £5k worth of extra performance or ride quality over the normal model. So it's a personal choice ... there is no "you must buy or not buy" view or option ... its like choosing a paint colour.

Basically if you can afford them, and like the looks of them, then get them ... otherwise don't stress over having the PP or not.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I point out that forged alloy wheels are generally considered stronger and generally much more expensive, so some of that extra money goes there.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Personally I'm leasing it, so I'm not going for anything but Thunder as an option, because I can't face another black car and having to keep it clean...

If I was buying it then I may well have gone for the PP option because the gold looks really good!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Although I think you have enough information now to choose. I have a non PP midnight 19ins wheels. I like the understated look and decided that the smaller wheels, according to various reviews, probably give a slight softer ride. I suspect the yellow brembo, seat belts and caps will turn a few more heads. Both sets of wheels look great. I drive with OPD off and don’t find the stopping power inadequate. Exciting drive either way! Not had any software issues either. So far anyway. From my very limited experience of 400 miles don’t expect much more than 200 miles range driving normally though.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Personally I went for non PP but with 20inch alloys.

I didn’t think the extra price premium was worth it for the performance pack but I liked the bigger wheels and the slightly sportier look they give. I’m happy with the handling on my car - it has a good ride and handles well/ corners flat.

I’m leasing but I think if I was buying second hand in a year or so I might look for a PP model.

For context, my previous car was an M4 (with competition pack). This was fun (and loud!)... but less refined and had a much harsher ride and more road noise, especially on motorway trips! This also had 20inch wheels but with lower profile tyres.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like that, so if you can get upgraded 20" wheels can you not have Brembo's without the springs and seartbelts (and dustcaps)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Personally I went for non PP but with 20inch alloys.
I didn’t think the extra price premium was worth it for the performance pack but I liked the bigger wheels and the slightly sportier look they give. I’m happy with the handling on my car - it has a good ride and handles well/ corners flat.
SNAP !! Exactly my position and views. 👍

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am enjoying mine set to comfort spec. The ride is beautifully controlled. Brakes possibly better, don't know. Its a heavy car that gets going quickly, decent brakes a must.

Looks like a 5-10% range penalty for PP.

I am glad i did, i would spec it again if i could afford to.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I read that the wheels are each 3.3 lbs lighter with PP compared to the 19" non-PP. If true would mean less unsprung weight which generally leads to a better ride. I think that benefit is probably negated by the larger diameter wheels though.

Source: Polestar

1 - 15 of 15 Posts