Polestar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are peoples thoughts?

I do the school run which is about 10 miles everyday, but it is cold and uses so much energy as the car needs to be heated. My thoughts are that whether I precondition or not, I’ll use the same amount of energy, just at different times. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
349 Posts
For short runs (unless you have ice to clear from the screen) I wouldn't bother. If you know you're going between 150 & 200 miles then I would and precondition whilst plugged in as I want every possible watt I can for the journey not the heat :)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Ok .... if you are pre-conditioning without being plugged in, you'll use the same amount of energy ... so it's just a nice feature to get into a warm car, compared to a cold car.

If you are plugged in then this will max your range and you'll use house electricity and not the cars.

If you charge at night at 5p per kWh then it's cheaper to charge every night, pre-heat not plugged in, as day costs are x3 those of the night costs.

Saying all this, for 10miles round trip ... I'd turn off cabin heating, use heated seats / wheels, because I'm sure by the time you've done 5 miles to the school the car won't be warm enough inside the cabin anyway. Use the front demister as and when you need, but that's it.

In the summer, just open the windows to let the heat out ... don't use AC either ... I bet you don't go above 50mph anywhere on the trip either, so windows down ... hair in the wind!

One final point, if you like a really nice warm car .. don't have a night time cheaper rate for electricity ... then Pre-Heat away , plugged in or not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok .... if you are pre-conditioning without being plugged in, you'll use the same amount of energy ... so it's just a nice feature to get into a warm car, compared to a cold car.

If you are plugged in then this will max your range and you'll use house electricity and not the cars.

If you charge at night at 5p per kWh then it's cheaper to charge every night, pre-heat not plugged in, as day costs are x3 those of the night costs.

Saying all this, for 10miles round trip ... I'd turn off cabin heating, use heated seats / wheels, because I'm sure by the time you've done 5 miles to the school the car won't be warm enough inside the cabin anyway. Use the front demister as and when you need, but that's it.

In the summer, just open the windows to let the heat out ... don't use AC either ... I bet you don't go above 50mph anywhere on the trip either, so windows down ... hair in the wind!

One final point, if you like a really nice warm car .. don't have a night time cheaper rate for electricity ... then Pre-Heat away , plugged in or not.
May well have to give that a go when schools open up again. Feel a bit bad for my daughter who is in a child seat and can’t have the heated seats on. She always wants the windo open anyway!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
May well have to give that a go when schools open up again. Feel a bit bad for my daughter who is in a child seat and can’t have the heated seats on. She always wants the windo open anyway!!
Out of sheer curiosity, are there any child seats with seat heating capabilities? 😁
Seems like a billion dollar idea!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Out of sheer curiosity, are there any child seats with seat heating capabilities? 😁
Or a law suit waiting to happen :p

Reactions: KRS and krheinwald

·
Registered
535 Posts
What are peoples thoughts?

I do the school run which is about 10 miles everyday, but it is cold and uses so much energy as the car needs to be heated. My thoughts are that whether I precondition or not, I’ll use the same amount of energy, just at different times. Am I wrong?
I only intend to use it for clearing ice, the heated seats and steering wheel are quick and more efficient at keeping you warm than cabin heating and pre-heating whacks it up to 22 Degrees anyway. I find it comfortable set to 19 and have seat heating/steering wheel to auto come on, then I turn them down/off if it gets too warm. I suppose there is a benefit, when it's plugged in, and you're trying to max out you range for a long drive but most of the high/early battery use is probably getting the batteries up to temperature rather than the cabin.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I'm sure there's a way to use microwaves for this.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
My students have the same difficulty. Occasionally, it causes problems.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For my recent trip north, preconditioning did not improve range at all. It is nice to get into a warm car. However, within 10 min. windshield fogged, feet got cold and I was running defroster and heat anyway.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
Honestly, for your use case, the most energy efficient way is simply to get in and drive. That way the time the car spends heating the cabin is limited to simply the short time of your drive, rather than heating the cabin for 10? 20? minutes beforehand while no-one's in it, and then maintaining that for a short drive. That said, by all means do it for comfort if you want :). The only reason for using pre-heating is convenience (de-iced, warm bum) or if you need to get the most out of the range and the car is plugged in while pre-heating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts