Polestar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting this four bike carrier to fit to the towbar on my PS2. The specs say it has a 7 pin electrical connector. Would this connector be compatible on the PS2 or would I need a converter? And where exactly is the electrical connector plug point in the PS2?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
It's a 13pin ... so not compatible. So you will need a 7 to 13pin adapter, or find a rack with a 13pin on it.

Also there is a "Towing" section on the forums ;-)

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was contemplating this one, as it's a reasonable price vs the £600/700 ones from Thule. Two adult road bikes (one of which is carbon frame about 8.2Kg and the other a metal frame 12Kg) and two kids bikes (one of which is a 700C roadbike with part carbon/metal fork/frame, so not much smaller than an adult bike). Was going to get the combo set (plates, lights). The rubber straps appear to be carbon frame friendly but I have never used a bike rack before and haven't a clue. Would I need additional adaptors to protect a carbon frame? There's a video here.

Looks like there are many cycle rack experts here. What do you reckon? I'd rather not spend more than £300 for the whole kit but could be convinced otherwise.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I was contemplating this one, as it's a reasonable price vs the £600/700 ones from Thule. Two adult road bikes (one of which is carbon frame about 8.2Kg and the other a metal frame 12Kg) and two kids bikes (one of which is a 700C road bike with part carbon/metal fork/frame, so not much smaller than an adult bike). Was going to get the combo set (plates, lights). The rubber straps appear to be carbon frame friendly but I have never used a bike rack before and haven't a clue. Would I need additional adaptors to protect a carbon frame? There's a video here.

Looks like there are many cycle rack experts here. What do you reckon? I'd rather not spend more than £300 for the whole kit but could be convinced otherwise.
There is no mention on the Thule website that you need a Carbon adaptor, nor is it listed under the recommended accessories - it was for mine - From the video too of the installation of the bikes it doesn't seem to clamp down on the bike like mine does - therefore I'd say you would be safe.

If unsure the Thule Carbon Frame Adaptor is only £20 ... so not a big issue if you have to buy after.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Upon further thought, not sure if the bikes would be secure from theft on this rack? If I went on a longer journey with bikes and stopped at a service station for a break, could I leave the bikes attached or would someone just be able to unstrap them and walk off? Seems like the lock is just to lock the carrier to the tow bar but the bikes would simply be detachable from the straps? Hmmm...

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Upon further thought, not sure if the bikes would be secure from theft on this rack? If I went on a longer journey with bikes and stopped at a service station for a break, could I leave the bikes attached or would someone just be able to unstrap them and walk off? Seems like the lock is just to lock the carrier to the tow bar but the bikes would simply be detachable from the straps? Hmmm...
Look under the Thule accessories ... there are locks you can buy for it.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
42 Posts
Whilst await delivery I have purchased one of the high priced Thule towbar bike carriers which folds up. Delivered £600-700. However I have just purchased same said 2 bike unit but branded Volvo. Part ref 31428156. Got this from a Volvo dealer for £415 delivered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts