Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was thinking of the last Citroën I've seen, then I remembered!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The logo looks as much like the Citroen logo as the P2 looks like a 2CV.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah, I can kind of see the resemblance to the DS logo.

Unfortunately, due to the way trademark laws work, Citroen don't really have a choice but to lawyer up and defend their mark otherwise they risk losing the rights to it themselves.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The problem is that Logo is one issue, however brand identity is another.

On the Logo on it's own they might have decent case ... although it's a personal opinion, and when you don't rotate 45deg' you can't really say that these two are the same imho :-

Brand Identity is different. When looking at two products without the brand markings on them, can you tell which is which? If you take the BMW / Merc / Jag badges of those cars, the general public should be to be able to say which is which.

You can't say a Polestar car with the THOR HAMMER Lights looks anything like a French car ... and this is where I see the case just being kicked out.

Just my opinion ... I'm not in law at all!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is that Logo is one issue, however brand identity is another.

On the Logo on it's own they might have decent case ... although it's a personal opinion, and when you don't rotate 45deg' you can't really say that these two are the same imho :-

View attachment 1523 View attachment 1524

Brand Identity is different. When looking at two products without the brand markings on them, can you tell which is which? If you take the BMW / Merc / Jag badges of those cars, the general public should be to be able to say which is which.

You can't say a Polestar car with the THOR HAMMER Lights looks anything like a French car ... and this is where I see the case just being kicked out.

Just my opinion ... I'm not in law at all!
The right side up logo is what turns the case for me. You can't trademark lines. They have to be lines in a particular configuration. I don't see it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
In my view it's like saying that I make a car with four wheels so I'm going to sue you for making a car with four wheels.A money grab by Citroen I think combined with toys out the pram time. Could they be jealous as their electric cars are not as good?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the pleasure last week of a parking ticket,with photographic evidence, stating that my car was a Citroen.
PS Just in case anyone asks it Is a P2 Magnesium.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the pleasure last week of a parking ticket,with photographic evidence, stating that my car was a Citroen.
I guess you don't have to pay it since you don't drive a Citroen 🤣

·
Registered
94 Posts
Will be interesting legally to see what happens. Though they will have the number plate of course.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Will be interesting legally to see what happens. Though they will have the number plate of course.
Just say someone cloned your plates and stuck them on a Citroen. Your documents clearly state your car is a Polestar.

Also one other good reason to take the stickers of the doors 😂

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I have had 4 people ask is it a citroen I find it hard to disagree with them raising the dispute. Not sure how it damages their brand though,maybe embarrasses their designers as they haven't made a nice looking car in well ever have they?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Also I believe DS was spun out as a seperate entity so while the comparison to the DS logo is a fair point ilthe suite is against the citroen logo specifically. If they want to be annoying they could raise it seperately against the DS logo if polestar deemed not infringing on citroen logo.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts

Yeah... I don't get it.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
897 Posts
Right now P* doesn't sell in France anyway so this is moot until they want to expand there.
But looking ahead, could they in France use the grille and rear hatch lid to spell out "POLESTAR" similar to the Volvo 40.2 concept?
I definitely prefer the current design and its mystery. But gotta get around the lawyers somehow right?

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
One thing I liked about the E-series BMW M cars was that they were relatively subtle. They didn't scream "I'm an M-car!!." I find the understated (dare I say stealth) look of the Polestar to be great.

But then, I debadged my BMW, which is pretty unusual in the U.S., so I admit my bias.

·
Registered
24 Posts
But looking ahead, could they in France use the grille and rear hatch lid to spell out "POLESTAR"
That might work, if Polestar could be persuaded not to use naff stickers for each letter. That would look even cheaper and tackier than the current efforts on the doors. Honestly, which idiot thought that was a good way to identify a £50k car?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts