Polestar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 P*2 Thunder/Slate 19"
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a suggestion? I followed the instructions

and everything changed from English to Metric except the speedometer, arguably the most important thing I needed changed.

Even the street sign monitoring switched to KPH and flashed when I passed the limit, but the speed readout was still in MPH.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, that is a major fail. I haven't driven to Canada since the pandemic started (~65mi away).

I've attempted the unit change while still in the US and noticed the same thing. But, without actually testing it outside of the US, I thought maybe the speed unit might change automatically based on GPS location. I guess not based on your response.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that is a major fail. I haven't driven to Canada since the pandemic started (~65mi away).

I've tried the same thing with the unit change while still in the US and noticed the same thing. But, without actually testing it outside of the US, I thought maybe the speed unit might change automatically based on GPS location. I guess not based on your response.
Perhaps there’s a setting somewhere else? I don’t want to waste time on vacation calling Polestar.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Polestar says do a TCAM reset. Will do tomorrow and report back.

·
Super Moderator
1,599 Posts
They surely mean an infotainment reset - can't for one second imagine a TCAM reset helping with this.

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
340 Posts
They surely mean an infotainment reset - can't for one second imagine a TCAM reset helping with this.
I think the speed indicator in the dash is not powered by the infotainment system. You see this quite clearly when you actually do a reset of the latter - many things turn off, but the speed indicator does not. In fact, none of the critical systems that are needed for driving turn off.

I bet the process of changing the speedometer unit is a bit more intricate, with the infotainment unit having to talk to some other unit and changing its internal state. I wouldn't know why the TCAM unit would be in the mix here, but you never really know - the P*2 system architecture seems a bit bizarre to me anyway, so I'm not surprised about anything anymore.

That being said, I actually tried it out. For me neither an infotainment reboot nor a TCAM reset nor getting out of the car and locking it did the trick. I admit I gave up fairly quickly, though. In any case, I can confirm the behavior that the OP saw, and I didn't find an immediate fix for it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had no problem switching between MPH and KPH (and back again) on my Switzerland trip this summer. I wonder if something changed in the September update?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The silence here has me thinking that you're enjoying your vacation. That's great. I hope the reported speed gets addressed before I need to travel to Canada.
No update means I did indeed enjoy my trip. Almost 900 miles from Boston to Quebec City to Montreal and back. Glorious fall foliage travel.

The speedometer never changed from mph to kph, and on return to the US setting, the speed limit sign reader still displays signs in kph. 🤷‍♂️

The odometer changes with the setting change, not sure why the speedometer will not.

Anyway, when I told polestar TCAM didn’t work, they said bring it to a space. Not doing that anytime soon, another waste of time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not near the car currently, but from memory...
  1. Go to settings
  2. Select Units
  3. Set speed to KPH
Thats it. I was actually quite chuffed with this, as my previous MY14 XC60 had a fully digital dash, but you could not change from MPH to KPH and had to rely on a small KPH display and remember the relevant Euro speed limits in MPH in order to set the ACC. The PS2 worked flawlessly in KPH and even the ridiculous speed limit indicator worked better in France than the UK (bit daft as they don't even sell the car in France); the speed limit indicator was just as crap in Switzerland! I am off to Germany next month, so we will see.

I also noted that distance and speed are separate settings. So I could have speed in KPH but keep distances in miles - which is better for my aged brain.

As an experiment I will try setting back to KPH tomorrow and see if it still behaves after the latest (2124) update and report back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not near the car currently, but from memory...
  1. Go to settings
  2. Select Units
  3. Set speed to KPH

I also noted that distance and speed are separate settings. So I could have speed in KPH but keep distances in miles - which is better for my aged brain.
As far as I know, we in the US do not have a “set speed to KPH” option. Only “Metric, Imperial and US”

1 - 14 of 14 Posts