Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Snow, slate, ordered Nov 2020, VIN 10xxx
60 Posts
anyone in the US interested in 4 of the original 19” Michelin Primacy tires with 5k Mike’s of wear? Just put on Nokian M&S tires I plan on keeping on all year

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 | Snow | Performance Package
94 Posts
Replaced my tires around 17k with 3/16 left. Seems about right.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
2,034 Posts
Replaced my tires around 17k with 3/16 left. Seems about right.
It seems the legal limit in our countries is 1/16” (1.6mm), so you changing at 3/16” (4.8mm) is certainly commendable.
My car definitely has less traction when I floor it from standstill in the wet compared to when the tyres were new, but otherwise I can’t feel it’s losing grip. I’ll hang onto mine a while longer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I’m not looking forward to the tyre life when I get my P2, especially as mine is fwd single motor and we can’t swap tyres from front and back. Wonder why they didn’t make it RWD, they went from AWD, so shouldn’t have mattered which motor they took out as they didn’t redesign the car to increase the boot space in the back.

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
Wonder why they didn’t make it RWD, they went from AWD, so shouldn’t have mattered which motor they took out as they didn’t redesign the car to increase the boot space in the back.
Removing the front inverter would have required a redesign as it holds some extra electronics, e.g. for charging the 12V battery and driving the climate unit.

Reactions: 2RatsElop

·
Registered
171 Posts
Removing the front inverter would have required a redesign as it holds some extra electronics, e.g. for charging the 12V battery and driving the climate unit.
Thanks for that info, as you can tell I’m not gifted in the art of building cars 😂

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Could it be that part of the reason was to give the car better handling in Scandinavian winters, Polestar being Swedish-ish and all?
This is my vote also. Unless you are tracking your car and want to be able to "control" the rear-end, for daily driving it's safer to have FWD.

·
Super Moderator
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I’m not looking forward to the tyre life when I get my P2, especially as mine is fwd single motor and we can’t swap tyres from front and back. Wonder why they didn’t make it RWD, they went from AWD, so shouldn’t have mattered which motor they took out as they didn’t redesign the car to increase the boot space in the back.
Surely swapping the tyres just means all four then need changing... It can't prolong the life of the whole set of tyres...

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
You can swap the tires, you just can't swap the wheels.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Once again, it's my contention that there's no good reason to rotate tires or, for our cars, to swap tires, in an attempt to get even tire wear at all four corners. You can just buy new tires for both ends of either axle when the tires need it.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
2,034 Posts
Once again, it's my contention that there's no good reason to rotate tires or, for our cars, to swap tires, in an attempt to get even tire wear at all four corners. You can just buy new tires for both ends of either axle when the tires need it.
Unless you are on a 2 year lease & do about 8k miles/year with uneven wear. Can't send the car back with new tyres. It's the law.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Well, in general I agree with you. But it's not great to have worn tires on one end of the car and new ones on the other. The handling can get unstable.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Unless you are on a 2 year lease & do about 8k miles/year with uneven wear. Can't send the car back with new tyres. It's the law.
Here there is no law, but if the tires on a lease return don't have enough tread left they can charge you for new tires. I've gone so far as to pick up a set of half-decent used tires before turning a lease in so they don't charge me a (exorbitant) fee for tires.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Here there is no law, but if the tires on a lease return don't have enough tread left they can charge you for new tires. I've gone so far as to pick up a set of half-decent used tires before turning a lease in so they don't charge me a (exorbitant) fee for tires.
it’s a consumer law of why spend money on new tyres for the leasing company lol. Not an actual law. I personally just get a set of part worn tyres that are barely road legal and send the car back with that.

I swap the tyres around not to prolong life of the tire but because it’s cheaper to buy 4 than 2 lol also don’t want to buy 4 just to sit 2 around, as the alloys can’t be swapped it makes it a pain to remove the tyre from the alloy as you have to take it to the shop no get them rebalanced etc,

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
366 Posts
Hi folks

I've done 13k miles and my rear tyres are almost on the wear markers.

Just wondering how other similar mileage folks are getting on?

(I'm on the PP 20's)

Steve
Over 14k miles now, fronts feel like 2-3 mil to the wear indicators. Anyway my first service will be in 6 weeks and I'll get my PZero all seasons put on.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts