Polestar Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi folks

I've done 13k miles and my rear tyres are almost on the wear markers.

Just wondering how other similar mileage folks are getting on?

(I'm on the PP 20's)

Steve
Hi Steve,

I have PP and on 20's. My car is booked in for its 1st service in 2 weeks time as I am on 18K. All 4 tyres are getting close to the wear markers. I would guess another 4K remaining.
Do you have issues with the gold coating coming away from the valve caps? I am on my 2nd set and these are showing signs of losing the coating.

Paul Elliott

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Steve,

I have PP and on 20's. My car is booked in for its 1st service in 2 weeks time as I am on 18K. All 4 tyres are getting close to the wear markers. I would guess another 4K remaining.
Do you have issues with the gold coating coming away from the valve caps? I am on my 2nd set and these are showing signs of losing the coating.

Paul Elliott
Honestly surprised nobody has nicked them after 18k miles. You're doing well! My nice motorbike valve caps lasted less than a week before someone just had off with them, the little shits.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
A lot of people have posted about this in the past. Apparently they are junk. Best to buy a set of cheap yellow ones from Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yep, same, I'm on my second set of valve caps which they changed 'as a goodwill gesture' after inferring the problem was caused by me using 'harsh cleaning chemicals'... which I never had of course.

The second set - which I remove every time I wash the car - have lost about 30% of the coating - they lasted about four months.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yep, same, I'm on my second set of valve caps which they changed 'as a goodwill gesture' after inferring the problem was caused by me using 'harsh cleaning chemicals'... which I never had of course.

The second set - which I remove every time I wash the car - have lost about 30% of the coating - they lasted about four months.
We had Wren Kitchens send us 'free' replacements for parts they had never delivered as 'a good will gesture'. They legit wanted to charge us initially, as we'd taken too long to open every single box they'd sent to make sure everything was in order. How some of their cupboards could pass their quality control with one door missing is beyond me, but apparently that's on me as a customer to notice.

Some companies can just piss right off. Never buy a kitchen from Wren.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Heavy powerful car & lots of fun - I'm expecting a similar 'problem' but I'm interested to hear it's not the fronts - does this speak for the F:R power distribution?
Perhaps - it's a chance for some winter boots?
I'll have a look & report back but am only on on 8000
My rears are ok but the fronts don’t have much left. I’ve had the PS2 since late May…taken full advantage of the traction…
On 245/40 Conti SportContacts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We had Wren Kitchens send us 'free' replacements for parts they had never delivered as 'a good will gesture'. They legit wanted to charge us initially, as we'd taken too long to open every single box they'd sent to make sure everything was in order. How some of their cupboards could pass their quality control with one door missing is beyond me, but apparently that's on me as a customer to notice.

Some companies can just piss right off. Never buy a kitchen from Wren.
Don’t get me started on kitchens, ours is now in court as I was appalled by the quality and attitude of the supplier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am thinking of going over to Pilot Sport 4s
If I may share my thoughts on these tires:
PROS - Extremely grippy on dry surfaces, felt smooth and sporty. If I were rich I'd buy these all the time...
CONS - Super expensive! And half of the tread life I'm used to (I'm trading in my Stinger from new with 20km, or 12500 miles, and my tires look almost bald!)

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Considering the cost of tires, I've always been willing to trade off a little traction for tread wear. I'm not doing any racing, or testing the limits of the car/tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am thinking of going over to Pilot Sport 4s
Considering the cost of tires, I've always been willing to trade off a little traction for tread wear. I'm not doing any racing, or testing the limits of the car/tires.
Instead of the Pilot Sport 4, consider the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. A friend of mine has experience with both, and while he didn't find too much difference in performance, the 3+ lasted almost 1.5x as long.

Anecdotal evidence for sure, but I know which shoes will be on my car next

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
1,025 Posts
I use the Pilot Sport 4 on my A5 and I'm very happy with them, no complaints on thread longevity either, certainly better compared to the many Continental Sport Contact 5 sets I used the previous couple of years that lasted about 10k miles!

I haven't heard of the A/S 3+, I checked on michelin.co.uk and at least for my car they recommend the PS4, and other options are the PS3, CC2 and some of the bonkers sport cpu/super sport etc choices. Maybe they don't do them 245/40R18?

I might be tempted to get the Crossclimate 2 on the A5 as they now make it in that size and it seems like a decent compromise with less wet grip but better cold weather performance.

The Polestar shouldn't need tyres for the next 6 months at least hopefully, but I'm not sure I'll get a choice as it's a lease, michelin.co.uk however recommends the Crossclimate 2 and Pilot Sport 4 and they mention the Primacy 4 POL that the non-PP cars come with:

So compared to OEM Primacy 4 POL the PS4 should give better wet breaking distances and CC2 better cold weather gip, but presumably neither will be as efficient and might be slightly noisier due to lack of acoustic foam...

Not sure if cold weather grip is actually more useful than wet grip in the SE of England...

·
Super Moderator
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Mine too is leased which has one obvious pro and one obvious con:-

- It's not going to cost me anything

- I have no control over what they will supply

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use the Pilot Sport 4 on my A5 and I'm very happy with them, no complaints on thread longevity either, certainly better compared to the many Continental Sport Contact 5 sets I used the previous couple of years that lasted about 10k miles!
I'll be sure to stay away from the Conti SC5 then. 10k miles is ridiculous! I hope they performed well at least.

In another post I put up a pic of my Stinger's PS4 front tire looking almost bald @ 12.5k:
My post

41 - 54 of 54 Posts