Polestar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks. Added to my list of known things to check.

Reactions: hedwri

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine were 48 all round, very noisy ride as a result.

·
Registered
285 Posts
48 is crazy, that'll wear out the centre in no time as well. Remember on most cars it's 32-36psi, or up to 40psi for "economy" driving!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I remember once when living in Germany, my girlfriend (at the time) lived around 200km away. She had an MGF Trophy 160 and drove it at 80+ mph over when it was her weekend to visit. She arrived once to say it was a bit wayward at speed, which is unlike that car as it has massively wide wheels. I went and took it for a drive and she was right (it was terrible, snaking all over the road). We went and checked the rear tyre pressures, as they were new tyres... one was at 52psi and the other at 48psi! She was incredibly lucky not to just disappear off the autobahn o_O

I gather it's now fairly common for careerMcDonaldsworkers yoofs to pump up their front tyres to 60psi to aid burn-outs in 1.0 litre Corsas. I guess you could do the same with all 4 wheels in the Polestar with traction control turned off, if it didn't limit initial torque!

Reactions: toscal353

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've done some tests over the years on three cars (Ampera, Kona, Yaris Hybrid) with tyre pressures in normal and Eco mode. Without fail, there was no measurable difference in economy in Eco mode, all that happened was the ride became harder. The weather conditions and right foot have such a big effect that the odd percent is lost. We've long since adopted the non-Eco pressures in our cars as it improves the ride quite noticeable. Still get 320+ miles in the Kona and 160+ miles in the Zoe on a sunny day!

·
Registered
285 Posts
That's my intention too... one day in the distant future...

·
Registered
61 Posts
My aunt and uncle drove to visit from cornwall and complained the car was odd. The stability light kept flickering. I tried it and stopped after half a mile because it felt like driving on gravel. Took car to check pressures and they were at 90 psi. How they hadn't exploded i don't know. Don't know how they got them to that pressure.

Stick to manufacturer guidance and check them regularly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My aunt and uncle drove to visit from cornwall and complained the car was odd. The stability light kept flickering. I tried it and stopped after half a mile because it felt like driving on gravel. Took car to check pressures and they were at 90 psi. How they hadn't exploded i don't know. Don't know how they got them to that pressure.

Stick to manufacturer guidance and check them regularly.
That is appalling. Worth feeding back to Polestar customer service?

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I'm into bicycling. The most recent research shows that, except on very smooth surfaces, lower tire pressure (to a point) results in lower rolling resistance. Of course, it's a way different game with car tires, but it does make sense to me that for normal roads, there's probably little benefit, if any, to pressures on the high side.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I assumed, but didn't want to ask, that it was his aunt and uncle's fault in their car ;).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts