Polestar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
That works out at 180 miles of range for 100% then roughly. Not too bad in the current temperatures it seems.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Driving too fast young one ....

Reactions: polerad

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I've been reading up on this and it's shocking how much low temperatures hit BEVs. I found one article indicating only about 60% range when driving in below zero (Celsius) weather.

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
If the battery's not heated, yes...

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I didn't preheat. When I left home it was around 9deg, but did drop to 5deg by midnight at our destination.

As we all had coats on etc.. No heated seats or wheel, but Aircon at 19deg.

I just took it easy.

I see 250+ consumption at the start but on a long enough drive that figure averages out.

Reactions: Background Tom

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
When PS finally figures out that every good EV out there keeps the battery warm when the car is plugged in, this cold start problem will pretty much go away. As it is now it's not much different than an ICE which also uses lots of energy before it warms up. 😞

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
None of our Ampera, Kona or Zoe warmed the battery up when plugged in, all warmed it up on pre-heat or when you set off. It's the pre-heat battery warming that we're really missing, I think.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've been reading up on this and it's shocking how much low temperatures hit BEVs. I found one article indicating only about 60% range when driving in below zero (Celsius) weather.
This below from the Polestar manual makes some surprising reading. The effect of ambient temperatures and the effect of climate control on/off. Both have a very big effect

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Yup. I was definitely on that 4 curve when I drove back from NYC.

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
None of our Ampera, Kona or Zoe warmed the battery up when plugged in, all warmed it up on pre-heat or when you set off. It's the pre-heat battery warming that we're really missing, I think.
Never got to drive an ampera - felt like it was before it’s time. What did you think of it??

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I've seen this curve before on other EV forums. What I'm surprised about on this version is the lack of differentiation at higher speeds. HVAC (heating mostly) still has a pretty good impact. I'm also surprised at #3. Even when it's that hot outside I still get way more range than when it's mild (#2).

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
Never got to drive an ampera - felt like it was before it’s time. What did you think of it??
(Small diversion from the thread so I'll keep it short: yes, it was WELL before its time. It's sad that only now, 9 years after it came out, are other manufacturers producing cars with similar EV-only range, and it was really the first "self-charging hybrid" long before Toyota stole the approach, which is also now used by Renault and Honda in fact. It was smooth, almost silent, sensibly quick and surprisingly good to drive. Brilliantly engineered albeit with flawed cabin quality. There are a few other ex-Ampera owners on this forum...)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts