Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started to shop around and found numerous dead ends on websites as the Polestar brand isn't listed.

After a long time on hold, I finally talked to a chatty, enthusiastic representative from MAPFRE insurance who was surprisingly excited about the new car. She'd never heard of it. But things popped up with the VIN and it was in their system.

Fun things: she said she couldn't wait to tell the others she was the first to enroll this car, she couldn't wait to Google it, she paused a while when I said it didn't have any cylinders, and she was stunned at the low rate. (Maybe all the safety features are accounted for.)

Bottom line, for me, adding to an existing policy with two other cars, a home, and an umbrella, the Polestar will add just under $700 annually.

·
Registered
769 Posts
After a long time on hold, I finally talked to a chatty, enthusiastic representative from MAPFRE insurance who was surprisingly excited about the new car. She'd never heard of it. But things popped up with the VIN and it was in their system.
FWIW, MAPFRE was a major sponsor in the Volvo Ocean Race. So there's that.

Also, as other's have pointed out, the Polestar 2 shows up on the USAA insurance site.

·
Registered
625 Posts
wow, I had around 1200 from USAA, this is good to hear! Of course things like deductible, coverage limits, uninsured motorist coverage, and state you are in must matter... but dang, that is good.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,863 Posts
£193 (about $250) for me and the wife, fully insured, hire car, business use, 8k miles/year. Couldn't believe how cheap it was!

·
Registered
201 Posts
An interesting thing for me. I've paid for the car, and am putting a temporary hold on shipment because auto insurance in my state has proven to be impossible. I've tried all of the major carriers. I've tried everyone that people have recommended. USAA - no tie in to the military. MAPFRE doesn't cover my state. GEICO not in UT. A big hang up is the distance to serviceability and the car is just new and not picked up but many. I did find one, but the cost for 6 months is 50% more than the cost of insuring my other 2 vehicles for 12 months. And the other two have a teenage driver on the policy. I have been hot and cold on the car, and have gone so far to have wired payment. We were scheduling delivery. This is absurd, and I have to think it will be problematic for others. Paying >$3K a year to insure this car with probably <8K miles put on it a year is too big a pill to swallow.

·
Registered
769 Posts
An interesting thing for me.
Wow, I never imagined this would become an issue. I guess I just got lucky because I have USAA insurance (my Dad was in the US Air Force in the 1950s flying F-86s in Korea). I'm afraid that I don't have any suggestions because I never looked beyond USAA. Perhaps you need to enlist in the Army or something. Hopefully other folks on the forum will have some better ideas for you to look into.

This would be a lousy way for me to win our B-wave race, @SLCPolestar. I hope you can figure something out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Working through getting the car added to my Travelers policy. Quoted $1200/year.

Interestingly, they’re saying the VIN doesn’t conform to ISO standards & are having to run that up the flagpole to write the policy...

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interestingly, they’re saying the VIN doesn’t conform to ISO standards & are having to run that up the flagpole to write the policy...
I used some standard VIN lookup sites and had no problem getting good information. So the number appears to me to conform to the standard.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow, I never imagined this would become an issue. I guess I just got lucky because I have USAA insurance (my Dad was in the US Air Force in the 1950s flying F-86s in Korea). I'm afraid that I don't have any suggestions because I never looked beyond USAA. Perhaps you need to enlist in the Army or something. Hopefully other folks on the forum will have some better ideas for you to look into.

This would be a lousy way for me to win our B-wave race, @SLCPolestar. I hope you can figure something out.
Sadly I'm aged out of enlisting. I am not giving up, but it really is not something I considered being a problem.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,563 Posts
An interesting thing for me. I've paid for the car, and am putting a temporary hold on shipment because auto insurance in my state has proven to be impossible. I've tried all of the major carriers. I've tried everyone that people have recommended. USAA - no tie in to the military. MAPFRE doesn't cover my state. GEICO not in UT. A big hang up is the distance to serviceability and the car is just new and not picked up but many. I did find one, but the cost for 6 months is 50% more than the cost of insuring my other 2 vehicles for 12 months. And the other two have a teenage driver on the policy. I have been hot and cold on the car, and have gone so far to have wired payment. We were scheduling delivery. This is absurd, and I have to think it will be problematic for others. Paying >$3K a year to insure this car with probably <8K miles put on it a year is too big a pill to swallow.
I got quotes in CA from GEICO, State Farm, and Liberty Mutual - but only after talking with a rep over the phone. Going through the website was useless - so Polestar isn't alone in that regard!
[had no idea GEICO wasn't in UT - aren't they Gov't Employee Insurance Co? no gov't employees in UT??]

In one case a rep got flustered and said they couldn't do it and I just asked them to see if they could manually enter the info. Had to speak to their manager but they ended up coming back with a quote. And in each case the quotes were basically commensurate with the MSRP. FWIW for me $-wise: GEICO < State Farm < Liberty Mutual

The VINs are proper - just Polestar isn't in their systems yet.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I got quotes in CA from GEICO, State Farm, and Liberty Mutual - but only after talking with a rep over the phone. Going through the website was useless - so Polestar isn't alone in that regard!
[had no idea GEICO wasn't in UT - aren't they Gov't Employee Insurance Co? no gov't employees in UT??]

In one case a rep got flustered and said they couldn't do it and I just asked them to see if they could manually enter the info. Had to speak to their manager but they ended up coming back with a quote. And in each case the quotes were basically commensurate with the MSRP. FWIW for me $-wise: GEICO < State Farm < Liberty Mutual

The VINs are proper - just Polestar isn't in their systems yet.
GEICO is in Utah, the issue is a lot of these companies don't underwrite a policy in Utah based on the distance to the dealer. I'm sure in a few months more will cover, but for now it is drawing a blank, and you are right it is a phone call and ask for a supervisor situation.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I used some standard VIN lookup sites and had no problem getting good information. So the number appears to me to conform to the standard.
Yeah, just reporting what I was told. They’ve been able to write the policy, so I suspect it was just a “this is new and scary” response. 😂

·
Registered
832 Posts
State Farm insured mine based on the MSRP. With all my discounts and such I'm paying less than $750/year so that's not horrible.

·
Registered
Snow with Nappa, 20”, No PP
3 Posts
Yikes! Sorry to hear that. I just emailed my insurance broker about it, I’ll let you know if she finds anything

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yikes! Sorry to hear that. I just emailed my insurance broker about it, I’ll let you know if she finds anything
Thanks! The one who said yes is Progressive, but the rate was laughable. We are middle aged couple without an incident on our record, and credit >850. I don't get it. It's not like this is a damn Rolls.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I really feel for you. I saw the same issue here in BC with only one insurer available for the entire province (Province run). That's why I will not sign any contract or make any payment until I've got in writing that they can indeed insure the car. It seems that this is now indeed possible (I will know 100% sure on Dec 13 when they promised to have it in their system). If it helps, we are paying around 2.5K US here anyway for car insurance, no matter what. We probably have the most expensive insurance setup in the whole of North America. Can you risk to ensure it month by month and then hope that the car will become better known and see other insurers maybe offering competitive policies over time ?

·
Registered
Snow with Nappa, 20”, No PP
3 Posts
Thanks! The one who said yes is Progressive, but the rate was laughable. We are middle aged couple without an incident on our record, and credit >850. I don't get it. It's not like this is a damn Rolls.
Heard back from my insurance broker. She checked with three different companies and none of them had polestar in their database. She can’t do anything to insure it until polestar and the insurance companies coordinate to get data and specs on the cars.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Allstate didn't take the VIN online, but when I stopped in at my agent's office, it came up on her computer.

Reactions: ProfessorCook
1 - 20 of 23 Posts