Polestar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

Registered
Yeah I have an appointment next week for a smart meter (via Octopus), but i booked it about 6 weeks ago!

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
@GDank
Is your meter functioning? Mine is still waiting to sync with the back office - I was told it would be a few hours/day but this is a week now!
Cheers
The electrical meter was about 1 hour ... the gas about 24hrs. I was told max 48hours.

Is the little touch pad near the meters? Mine is about 1m away ... almost of the other side of the wall.

If close and if still no sync ... then I would call them.

Basically the electrical meter has an O2 sim card and that chats to the Gas meter. So the gas is reported via the electrical meter and your mini-pad thingy talks to the Electrical Meter.

Registered
Yeah, I had done the same a few days ago, they said they didn't have anything but came back today saying Nov. 6th...that'll mean all of October and Most of Nov before on Agile...not the end of the world given Covid...
And I spoke too soon. I took 30min to respond and someone else got it in the meantime....can't say I'm particularly happy about that. Doesn't help being a bit out of the way.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
I've switched to Octopus Agile today.

For me ... the difference between 5p for 4 hours or 7-10p all night is for me minor ... as I won't be using my car daily. In addition both me and my wife work at home now full time, so a day at 10p is much better overall for ourselves. My only peak would be Microwave/Ovens at 4-7pm so if I can avoid those during those times I should be saving 拢10+ a month.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
So after a 3 weeks now with Agile, I'm saving 20% average a week on electricity.

Again I'm working from home with the wife, and we have 2 kids, 9 and 18 years old. The elder is home all day too.

The only thing I've changed is the Dishwasher goes on at around 10pm and finishes at 11:30pm just before I go to sleep (I wouldn't personally run anything overnight), the WM is still put on around 6:30-7am.

The other thing is I've tried cooking more using gas between 4-7pm than my ovens. On days I don't use my Ovens I get 25-28% Saving. Days I do I get around 14-16% saving. So obviously getting an average of 20% means I'm still using one Oven at least 3 times a week between 4-7pm. Once I can get this down with some more creative cooking, then I estimate 22-24% savings.

Not suitable for everyone .. and I still may switch to Go once I get my car.

Anyway I've made an Excel file for you to use (rename the *.txt to *.xlsx)

Notes:
  • The 12p per kW for Agile is an average cost I'm getting. This will vary a lot depending on your usage times and loads.
  • Also ... when adding miles of driving, try to put in a value if miles from home charging. I.e if you do 12k a year, but 9k will from home, then put in 9k not 12k.
  • I've also added a blue line for "your choice" of supply if you want to compare with your current supplier.
  • Finally if you want no car costs added them just put 0 in the miles at the bottom.

Attachments

Registered
Thanks for the update! I'm still waiting for my *?!#ing smart meter to work.

Registered
Gas is working on the online account, but it's not receiving electricity readings. And my in-home-device is showing current electricity consumption, but not gas! And no tariff info at all.

I've requested moving to "Go" but they can't do it until the electricity readings come through. I've asked them to investigate, but they've gone quiet!

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
Mine is the other way, I get gas readings on my house dongle thingy ... but not appearing online.
The Elec part working fine.

I find giving them calls is better than emails .... hmm maybe they use the same staff as Polestare! :ROFLMAO:

Registered
I saw an advert from EDF Energy - they are apparently launching an EV tariff where you get half price electricity between 9pm and 7am weekdays and all weekend - I think that makes it about 8p/kWh.

Registered
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I get 8-9p from 9pm or after 6am ... and 5-7pm from midnight to 5am.

So while good for EDF customers not sure it's 100% great for others. Although ... all weekend is nice. 9pm to 7am does make it simple for a lot of people.

If you don't do many miles then this is awesome.

If you do like 10k a year then Go at 5pm for car charging is better.

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
So in the past 2 weeks we have had two nights where the cost of electricity on Octopus Agile was at negative prices ... yes they paid us to use it!

If only I had my EV ... getting paid to charge it would have been awesome! :D

Registered
Apologies but cross-posting from another thread...

For anyone else on Octopus Go... what does your In Home Display show re electricity? I've not yet got up in the middle of the night to check what it says then, but during the day it only shows tariff details for the normal rate (~14p/kWh). Does it automatically account for the night rate in the monthly estimates etc?

Registered
Has anyone else tried the Octopus API? For me, the group_by=day argument just gives nonsense results (some days returned, along with some half hour periods!).

E.g. https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/xxxx/meters/yyyy/consumption/?group_by=day

UPDATE: I've figured out (I think) that this is because for the days returning just half hour periods in these grouped results, its because this is the ONLY data they hold for that day (presumably when my meter was still getting up and running properly).

Attachments

Registered
Separately to the above, has anyone with an Octopus smart meter seen weird consumption data in their account?

It thinks I used ~3.7kWh in half an hour at about 10pm yesterday. This is more than a 7kW average power draw for half an hour.

{"consumption":3.67,"interval_start":"2020-11-14T22:00:00Z","interval_end":"2020-11-14T22:30:00Z"}

But we were just watching TV at this time, and didn't have any high-power appliances on. In fact we don't have anything that would use this much power other than our Andersen charger timed to come on at 00:35 to take advantage of the cheap Go tariff.

I went to bed at ~23.30 and the car charger wasn't on yet. The Konnect app for my charger showed it come on at the right time as scheduled.

So I鈥檓 a bit concerned that the smart meter is mis-reporting the energy usage for the time. I鈥檝e checked that we have the right date and time set on the smart meter and the car charger. Anyone got any ideas what might explain this? e.g. can the smart meter sometimes delay sending data and put it in the wrong half-hour period?

Reactions: ProfessorCook

Registered
Update! Andersen looked into this via the logs remotely and found that it was indeed drawing power at 22:00-22:30, but it didn't report it in the app. Some bug in the scheduling/reporting at their end! Watch out other Andersen users (cc @GDank)! It's only happened once so far.

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
Update! Andersen looked into this via the logs remotely and found that it was indeed drawing power at 22:00-22:30, but it didn't report it in the app. Some bug in the scheduling/reporting at their end! Watch out other Andersen users (cc @GDank)! It's only happened once so far.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out, but mine so far has been working flawlessly.

The only time I've gone above 1kw/h was when I turned both my Oven's on and hit 2kw/h for a 30min's. So like you anything like 3.5-4kw/h would raise an alarm.

Sounds like the A2 box might need a reset.

Registered
By the way. I got the Glowmarkt.com / Bright app integration with my smart meter working (for free, without buying their IHD/CAD) Hat-tip to @misterspam! 馃帺

In the Bright app (or via their API) this gives you data up to the latest half an hour (rather than waiting for the next day on the Octopus dashboard). I think with their device it's even more up to date (10-minutely)?

Registered
(Sorry for hijacking this thread!)

Another update on the Andersen: it appears when it drops WiFi or internet connection it just starts charging (so you鈥檙e not locked out of using it if your internet goes down - fair enough). I鈥檝e rearranged my mesh routers to help the signal near the charger and this has stopped it dropping out.

But even when it鈥檚 charging as scheduled and has a good connection I鈥檝e found the reported kWh usage is much lower in the Konnect app than in reality. The charger reports 7.1kW on the main app screen when plugged in. But over an hour the Konnect app reports much less (around 5kWh for an hour). But my smart meter does show the whole 7kW (plus some small baseline usage).

Anyone else with an Andersen seen this? @Amk7000 @GDank ? 馃檱鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
I've only done one 20-90% charge an that was perfect both from the app and Octopus.

Also I tend to Disable mine when I can, so not had a problem with odd charging.

So had no issues with my A2 yet. I will be doing another large charge Sunday night.

However, I have found that 10% isn't 10%. I charged from 80-90% last night. The App reported 6kW. Octopus reported 6kW. But 10% should be closer to 7kW. In fact if I used 6kW of energy then the car probably got 5.5kW.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts