Polestar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About my experience ... although I did all the apps / RFID cards before going to most of these, but still a reasonable article.

For me it's (in no particular order):

Great:
InstaVolt
BP Pulse (with RFID card)
Gridserve (Only 1 stations at the moment, but was still easy)

Mixed Results:
BP Pulse (Contactless)
Geni-Point (RFID or Contactless - both random)

Not Tried:-
Eccotricity - Avoided because everyone says they are shit, and the two I visited just to see had queues oif 2+ cars!
Shell Recharge
e-On
Ionity
Osprey (Not tried myself but hear good things)
Pod-Point

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good article, I will be getting my car next week and will be relying on public chargers for a while so will be interesting to see how I get on! I have already looked at what apps I will need and pre-installed and registered on them all so hoping it will be simple enough.....am I being optimistic or naive??

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good article, I will be getting my car next week and will be relying on public chargers for a while so will be interesting to see how I get on! I have already looked at what apps I will need and pre-installed and registered on them all so hoping it will be simple enough.....am I being optimistic or naive??
Depends on where you live and where you generally travel to. Also are you home charging.

But the basic I would get just BP Pulse and order an RFID card, even without a subscription.
InstaVolt, Osprey, Shell Recharge, can all use Contactless - although getting the app if you want to track stuff and make it easier to follow costs, etc.. Some like Shell give discounts on Account use rather than contactless.

The other one is Electric Highway (Eccotricty) ... but I'd avoid using them at all cost, however in an emergency if the charger is working then having the app set up means less hassle at the charger.

Finally get Zap-Map (for charger locations and user comments) and A Better Route Planner (for easier planning of long trips)

Reactions: jl-uk

·
Registered
17 Posts
With my previous I3 ownesrhip experience i swore i'd never buy another electric car that was not using the tesla charging network.
I swear i had 50% issues whilst public charging.
Motorway journeys usually entailed me sitting in my car phoning a support centte to get them to release my vehicle from their charger!
I was powerless and the family refused to wait in the car with me like broken down tourists!
Some electric owners drilled out the captive part of their charging lead so they could release thermselves from angry chargers!

However, here i am with my new polestar. I hope to only need the public charging a handul of times per year!
If its what youve got to rely on, good luck, i hope it works out.
Do you really do enough driving currently to be not able to charge at home on a granny lead ?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I knew when getting the car, the only time I'd really need away from home charging, was during school holidays .. even then 200+ Miles big trips with charges in-between home and the destination would be 1 or 2 per year max, with most being Sub 200 miles, so could at worst case take my Granny Charger with me and just use that once I got where I was staying.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've not done lots of charging away from home but from my experience :-

Pod-point - Used at various Tesco stores. Free to use 7KW. Easy to register your charge with the App.
Geniepoint - Used a few 50KW in different locations. Worked fine with the App.
BP Pulse - Used contactless, the App, and the RFID. Decent success rate, occasionally one has failed to work, so fell back on alternative connection method
Swarco - Used 50KW at various locations in the SW. Only problem with one particular charger which wouldn't play with the polestar (the AC worked though), reported it, so maybe fixed now. Worked fine on DC at other locations using the App.

Don't think I've tried any others yet.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
My experience is that Shell Recharge works very well and is frequently a 150kW (max) charger, and the couple of Osprey (engenie) chargers I used worked perfectly too. BP Pulse has been about 50/50 so far. Ionity was rather poor, the first charger totally failing to work and the second one bombing out after 10 minutes. Instavolt head and shoulders over the others.

But that's just my very small experience and is not trying to contradict anyone else's experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts