Polestar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've seen a few individual messages about how we've done on our travels here in the uk, so I thought I'd see if there was interest in creating a single thread?

That way we can all see how we're faring on a single thread and we can highlight positive charging experiences (negative as well of course, but I'd like to keep it positive where possible).

As such I'll tell my tale of going up to Hull for a pre-Christmas dash up to my parents this weekend (before tier 4 was announced) and the charging experiences en route.

I did set the charge level to 100% and charged on Friday and set the pre-conditioning to run for my scheduled departure of 9:30, so I'd done everything I could to maximise the range.

It was raining when I set off, but that stopped pretty quickly and the roads were clear and pretty dry, so not too sticky for the range.

As soon as I put in the destination Google maps said I wouldn't have the charge to get there and suggested a number of charge points on the way. I chose the Instavolt at junction 29a as its literally just off the m1 and has KFC, MacDonald's and a bunch of other eating places. Its also 150 miles from my home, so it predicted a remaining charge of about 20% on arrival, so seemed like a good idea to stop there.

My bladder however had other ideas and so I actually stopped at Leicester Forest East and thought that I might as well charge here given I've had to stop anyway. Couldn't get the damned Ecotricity to start charging (chargepoint 1038 on the Ecotricity system). Now I admit I was dancing a bit as the old bladder was pretty full, so I might has not got the steps quite right. In the end I just gave up and went back to plan a.

I was glad I did as the Instavolt at 29a is a 125KW charger, so plugged in next to an e208 (2 charging points) and got some food. Had a chat with the Peugeot owners and they seem to like their car as well. Whilst the two cars were attached I was seeing about 50KW charging rate. As soon as they disconnected it jumped up to about 80KW and stayed pretty constant. I stayed there until I had 80% and then moved on. Had about 65 miles left to do and it predicted I'd arrive with about 36%. In the end it was 39% so pretty accurate.

On the way back, as it was a flying visit I decided to stop at Howden which is about 20 miles from Hull, but it has a BP charging point, so it was an opportunity to test out the RFID process and check the process. This would mean a 2 stop trip back, but I wasn't in a rush, so it was all good. It was painless to connect, it recognised my RFID put in 48KW in 58 minutes, so pretty much pushed out its capacity for the full charge period. This took me to 80% and google suggest that I stop at... Leicester Forest east on the return... I did look around for something different, but there wasn't much in the area so I thought I'd go for it.

Got to LFE with 22% of battery left and the process this time was painless (although my phone couldn't use the QR code to sign into the charger). It started charging and limited me to 45 minutes of charge. Went into the services and had some refreshments and basically waited out the 45 minutes. Got back to 67% charge and google maps predicting that I would have 7% of charge (100 miles). Good enough for me and so I set off.

One thing which I still keep doing is not refitting the DC charge cover and closing the flap... Really needs to have a reminder as by the time I've put the cable back its on the other side of the car and I just forget to go back to close it. Reminder to close it before putting the cable back and check the side mirror before setting off.

In the end I got back with 10% of battery and put the car back to 90% max and started charging.

All in all it was a painless process and I think Junction 29a will be my default stop going North in future. The simplicity and reliability just makes it a no brainer. When I stay for more than 24 hours I'll seek out a BP charge station in Hull and go to 90% so that I can make it to LFE in one go in future. Two stops is ok, but it did add an hour to the trip back. I did feel pretty good at the end of the trip though which was nice.

One other point was that for the trip up I was only registered with Spotify basic, so had the adverts and no ability to play albums in full. During my time up North I upgraded to Premium and that made a huge difference for the trip home, Hey google, play xxx and it just did it. I also set it to very high sound quality and I have no complaints about the sound. I've also got the November patch, so I could focus my sound on the driver and it is excellent.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I stay for more than 24 hours I'll seek out a BP charge station in Hull and go to 90% so that I can make it to LFE in one go in future.
50kw option, in the car park of the hotel on the marina...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
50kw option, in the car park of the hotel on the marina...
Yep, I saw that one, not sure if the carpark has barriers and with the hotels being closed at the moment, didn't want to take a trip in to charge and then miss out. When I'm back I'll give them a call before I head out there. There are some new instavolts at the Starbucks on Clough Road, so a good fallback option

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
This is my current philosophy.

Don't use ecotricity at the motorway service stations.

Plan ahead all routes using a combination of ABRP and Zap-Map.

Failing that if desperate find an Instavolt.

Charge when I can, even 7kWh gives 10% an hour.

·
Registered
Non PP, Midnight, Load Bars
138 Posts
Ecotricity do really need to step up. The same Leicester Forest Charger didnt work for me weeks ago. They emailed back after i complained and claimed a Techs we going to fix it. Has anybody else noticed that a few Ecotricity CCS chargers are off or have the CCS cable removed. I suspect they are going to roll out their new contactless chargers at these sites.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yep, I saw that one, not sure if the carpark has barriers and with the hotels being closed at the moment, didn't want to take a trip in to charge and then miss out.
ah, good point. I was planning to pop down once my BP card arrives, as an easy way to confirm that card, account, and credits were all talking to one another before I need them for a real trip.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi All,

I've seen a few individual messages about how we've done on our travels here in the uk, so I thought I'd see if there was interest in creating a single thread?

That way we can all see how we're faring on a single thread and we can highlight positive charging experiences (negative as well of course, but I'd like to keep it positive where possible).

As such I'll tell my tale of going up to Hull for a pre-Christmas dash up to my parents this weekend (before tier 4 was announced) and the charging experiences en route.

I did set the charge level to 100% and charged on Friday and set the pre-conditioning to run for my scheduled departure of 9:30, so I'd done everything I could to maximise the range.

It was raining when I set off, but that stopped pretty quickly and the roads were clear and pretty dry, so not too sticky for the range.

As soon as I put in the destination Google maps said I wouldn't have the charge to get there and suggested a number of charge points on the way. I chose the Instavolt at junction 29a as its literally just off the m1 and has KFC, MacDonald's and a bunch of other eating places. Its also 150 miles from my home, so it predicted a remaining charge of about 20% on arrival, so seemed like a good idea to stop there.

My bladder however had other ideas and so I actually stopped at Leicester Forest East and thought that I might as well charge here given I've had to stop anyway. Couldn't get the damned Ecotricity to start charging (chargepoint 1038 on the Ecotricity system). Now I admit I was dancing a bit as the old bladder was pretty full, so I might has not got the steps quite right. In the end I just gave up and went back to plan a.

I was glad I did as the Instavolt at 29a is a 125KW charger, so plugged in next to an e208 (2 charging points) and got some food. Had a chat with the Peugeot owners and they seem to like their car as well. Whilst the two cars were attached I was seeing about 50KW charging rate. As soon as they disconnected it jumped up to about 80KW and stayed pretty constant. I stayed there until I had 80% and then moved on. Had about 65 miles left to do and it predicted I'd arrive with about 36%. In the end it was 39% so pretty accurate.

On the way back, as it was a flying visit I decided to stop at Howden which is about 20 miles from Hull, but it has a BP charging point, so it was an opportunity to test out the RFID process and check the process. This would mean a 2 stop trip back, but I wasn't in a rush, so it was all good. It was painless to connect, it recognised my RFID put in 48KW in 58 minutes, so pretty much pushed out its capacity for the full charge period. This took me to 80% and google suggest that I stop at... Leicester Forest east on the return... I did look around for something different, but there wasn't much in the area so I thought I'd go for it.

Got to LFE with 22% of battery left and the process this time was painless (although my phone couldn't use the QR code to sign into the charger). It started charging and limited me to 45 minutes of charge. Went into the services and had some refreshments and basically waited out the 45 minutes. Got back to 67% charge and google maps predicting that I would have 7% of charge (100 miles). Good enough for me and so I set off.

One thing which I still keep doing is not refitting the DC charge cover and closing the flap... Really needs to have a reminder as by the time I've put the cable back its on the other side of the car and I just forget to go back to close it. Reminder to close it before putting the cable back and check the side mirror before setting off.

In the end I got back with 10% of battery and put the car back to 90% max and started charging.

All in all it was a painless process and I think Junction 29a will be my default stop going North in future. The simplicity and reliability just makes it a no brainer. When I stay for more than 24 hours I'll seek out a BP charge station in Hull and go to 90% so that I can make it to LFE in one go in future. Two stops is ok, but it did add an hour to the trip back. I did feel pretty good at the end of the trip though which was nice.

One other point was that for the trip up I was only registered with Spotify basic, so had the adverts and no ability to play albums in full. During my time up North I upgraded to Premium and that made a huge difference for the trip home, Hey google, play xxx and it just did it. I also set it to very high sound quality and I have no complaints about the sound. I've also got the November patch, so I could focus my sound on the driver and it is excellent.
Did premium Spotify improve the hey Google response? On my system i hardly ever get the tune i ask for!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did premium Spotify improve the hey Google response? On my system i hardly ever get the tune i ask for!
Yes it did! Before that it would only play tracks by the artist on their "free" list, not sure how they decided which songs were free, probably the least popular tracks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes it did! Before that it would only play tracks by the artist on their "free" list, not sure how they decided which songs were free, probably the least popular tracks.
Ah, many thanks, that explains it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts